Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Not Worth the Price Now [Nov 2022]

Is the Current Price on the MY LR Overpriced?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it's about Waze and Apple Music,, that's basically it. Many people are also weary of yet another subscription, which is required for traffic aware navigation and native streaming apps like Spotify. Giving them other options they're already paying for/have available in the Apple or Android ecosystem via their phone is a reasonable request.

Valid points. I also use Apple Music, and it not being integrated kinda sucks, but I don't mind the bluetooth.

Reactions: Corndart
I don't know if any EV is worth $70-80K+ because of the entire ownership experience doesn't feel premium.

Buying an Taycan or e-tron can taking it to EA location(in 2022) is like driving it to a McDonald's... a premium car at an unpremium charging network that can be frustrating and problematic. Superchargers are tolerable but there are often no amenities at many locations like trash cans, windshield squeegees, or restrooms.
Also CarPlay is Satan's spawn. It really is. It's buggy, glitchy, doesn't integrate with the rest of the car (except in some limited cases like the Mach-E and i4) and is a stopgap until carmakers have fully integrated car OSes like Android Automotive.

IMO every EV is overpriced by $15K. Maybe the only one that isn't is the Chevy Bolt EUV.
I lol'd at your Taycan comments. While not an owner, friend of mine bought almost the most expensive Taycan you can load up at nearly 200k.. Didn't comment on charging but had nothing but negative things to say about the infotainment / MCU system being a buggy piece of garbage requiring multiple dealer visits and still riddled with ghosts and problems. Our giant ipad for everything is very well sorted by comparison to the competition, even while we opine for more stuff.

Leaf / Bolt seem correctly priced for the value seeking buyer. The rest are aiming at the entry level luxury car buyer or higher IMHO.

Reactions: voxel
I lol'd at your Taycan comments. While not an owner, friend of mine bought almost the most expensive Taycan you can load up at nearly 200k.. Didn't comment on charging but had nothing but negative things to say about the infotainment / MCU system being a buggy piece of garbage requiring multiple dealer visits and still riddled with ghosts and problems. Our giant ipad for everything is very well sorted by comparison to the competition, even while we opine for more stuff.

Leaf / Bolt seem correctly priced for the value seeking buyer. The rest are aiming at the entry level luxury car buyer or higher IMHO.
This, that's one thing that Tesla has going for it above the other car manu, the software. As I mentioned in the other post, we're really buying a software + battery tech. Other manu are "great" car makers with their fit/finish (most of the time) but not so good software companies, lol.

This, that's one thing that Tesla has going for it above the other car manu, the software. As I mentioned in the other post, we're really buying a software + battery tech. Other manu are "great" car makers with their fit/finish (most of the time) but not so good software companies, lol.
Eventually someone will tick all the boxes, its just a question of whether Tesla can drive fit / finish and file off some of the sharp edges (looking at you, MY suspension and no ventilated seats!) faster than the incumbents get their propulsion/efficiency/range/software serviceability up to Tesla's bar.

Reactions: calm-one
Eventually someone will tick all the boxes, its just a question of whether Tesla can drive fit / finish and file off some of the sharp edges (looking at you, MY suspension and no ventilated seats!) faster than the incumbents get their propulsion/efficiency/range/software serviceability up to Tesla's bar.
It's pretty cool to see the industry shifting over. I can see Tesla losing talent because, well, you know, haha...them going over to other car companies and making a statement with their talent.

In the end, the consumer wins, we shouldn't settle for questionable fit/finish and we shouldn't have to settle for buggy software either.

Reactions: KRG21
USS is overstated. Cameras will be fine.
But you can't know that until it's done, so it's the insecurity of unknowns.
I think cameras alone will be *good enough* but that the USS in this case provided the last few percent of functionality especially when parking manually, cameras alone will get ~95% of the way there.

But in the context of this thread, I think people are generally expecting 100% of the functionality at these prices.

This sounds like my Land Rover Velar. I guarantee the Taycan system is a dream compared to the absolute trash system in that though. It barely worked for half the time I owned the car...literally unusable. I would connect my phone and just hope for the best, but it would eventually disconnect. Info on the screen was always frozen and never displayed current details. Touchscreen lag was akin to a Kindle from 2008. Digital instrument cluster would sporadically crash and go black. Awful. Gorgeous interior though!

The Tesla system is a dream lol. I've had this car for 2 years and honestly it's been the least problematic car I've owned.

Reactions: Zalick
In a vacuum, yes, it's overpriced. However, in the current market it's not. I can't think of anything else I'd want for the same price point. Not really intrigued by the Ioniq/EV6 and the GV60 is ugly. The Mach-E is cool but also not really my vibe. The Audis do nothing for me. The i4 M50 is cool but I don't think I'd take it over the MY. I would never buy an ICE vehicle as a daily driver again so that eliminates most options.

The only vehicle on the horizon that I know will have me swooning is the Macan EV. I've owned 2 Porsches and I love the brand. That car is nearly perfect, and an EV version will be even better. No idea what the pricing will look like however.

I felt the same way, including the Macan EV. I thought about waiting for it but who knows when the top trim would be available, how easy it would be to secure, and if the range would be sufficient.

So for me the MYP was absolutely worth it at this price. 😎

Reactions: KRG21
If they're worth it at this price, people were making off like bandits $17k ago

I think prices will be coming down either way though, new inventory is gradually building around the globe. Not long ago there were 0 new cars in Tesla's inventory, yesterday I think there were almost 600 brand new Ys listed on EV-CPO

Reactions: dino007 and voxel
I think cameras alone will be *good enough* but that the USS in this case provided the last few percent of functionality especially when parking manually, cameras alone will get ~95% of the way there.

But in the context of this thread, I think people are generally expecting 100% of the functionality at these prices.
Think you nailed it right there, expecting 100% functionality versus beta testing but that's what it is as an early adopter, which I think we still are even this many years in.

Real leather, carbon fibre & alcantara vs vinyl and plastic wood. UNDEBATABLE.
No incessant unfixable squeaks vs incessant unfixable squeaks (well documented). UNDEBATABLE.
Burmester 13 speaker sound system vs Tesla OEM audio. UNDEBATABLE.
Apple Carplay, Android Auto & Satellite radio vs none of the above. UNDEBATABLE.

Fit & finish is only subjective to those that don't understand the term.

Before responding with condescension, I suggest education.

View attachment 870604
I see a cluttered junky interior that looks like it is from the 90's vs a clean and classy interior.

This sounds like my Land Rover Velar. I guarantee the Taycan system is a dream compared to the absolute trash system in that though. It barely worked for half the time I owned the car...literally unusable. I would connect my phone and just hope for the best, but it would eventually disconnect. Info on the screen was always frozen and never displayed current details. Touchscreen lag was akin to a Kindle from 2008. Digital instrument cluster would sporadically crash and go black. Awful. Gorgeous interior though!

The Tesla system is a dream lol. I've had this car for 2 years and honestly it's been the least problematic car I've owned.
Interesting you said the comment on the Land Rover, as my 21 Discovery had the newest Pivi Pro Infotainment system and still suffered the same "land rover" problems of old that gives them a bad wrap from time to time. While the Disco was still expensive (for me) its a lower model in the Rover lineup but the 150-180k trucks still have the same issues and people still buy them......Still a status mark, and I think the Tesla "status" sticks around for a bit here as the other manufacturers try and play catch up in the ev game. Will there be better cars to come out? Sure, but aside from a Prius, Tesla had very little competition, in which now they will and will force them to bring more than they currently offer. This is no different than any ICE vehicle.

Reactions: Corndart and KRG21
If they're worth it at this price, people were making off like bandits $17k ago

I think prices will be coming down either way though, new inventory is gradually building around the globe. Not long ago there were 0 new cars in Tesla's inventory, yesterday I think there were almost 600 brand new Ys listed on EV-CPO

It start a few months ago slow... Model Ys used to be snatched from the inventory within a minute. I would see them appear on Discord inventory channels and be gone by the time I clicked on the link. These days they hang around up to a few days.

all EV's are overpriced by, at minimum, the amount of 'subsidy' provided by government.
there's a reason Tesla bumped their pricing 4K in 2021 (along with every other maker), and colleges raised tuition fees so aggressively.
it's called government.
Well... lithium, cobalt, nickel prices skyrocketed 400% at one point.

EV makers Hyundai and Kia barely raised their prices an inch. Ford jacked up their prices $8K-10K like Tesla from 2021 to 2023. Chevy did the opposite and cut prices by $6300.

EV makers Hyundai and Kia barely raised their prices an inch. Ford jacked up their prices $8K-10K like Tesla from 2021 to 2023. Chevy did the opposite and cut prices by $6300.

Good luck trying to find Hyundai and Kia EVs. Their sales actually dipped in the last couple months and it wasn't due to demand issues. The removal of the tax credit didn't do much to curb demand either. In reality, nothing is overpriced until the market won't bear the costs. The $65k Tesla is really a $70k Tesla with all-in costs over 8 years. A BMW at $65k is probably going to cost $90k over those same years so its hard to compare ICE vs. EV.

Reactions: KRG21 and Zalick
My wife wants a Model Y. I personally think it's by far the ugliest Tesla, but a good, practical car. I told her we'd have to be crazy to pay the current price. Mid $50k - sure, almost $70k - no way. Tesla is going through the order backlog quickly and will have to drop prices soon.
Happy wife is happy life, you have to factor that in towards that price point, haha.

Reactions: Yurand

the resources listed are commodities and usually sold on long term contracts. spot prices are an excuse.
certainly, though, looking at forward costs would justify price increases, especially when finished goods backlogs are 6-9 months.

but the majority of price adjustments have been subsidy related.

Reactions: Eric9610 and Zalick
the resources listed are commodities and usually sold on long term contracts. spot prices are an excuse.
certainly, though, looking at forward costs would justify price increases, especially when finished goods backlogs are 6-9 months.

but the majority of price adjustments have been subsidy related.
I agree with this. No way Tesla is just putting minimal orders on these. They have huge contracts covering them. All the price increases is trying to future proof the bottom line.

Reactions: Eric9610
Status
Not open for further replies.