Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Not Worth the Price Now [Nov 2022]

Is the Current Price on the MY LR Overpriced?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, including being an Apple guy myself. CarPlay to me seemed to be a solution to a problem. But with my model Y, the problem doesn’t exist and CarPlay isn’t needed as I prefer the native UI.
What world do you guys live in? Name the number of streaming audio apps that are natively supported by Tesla's UI. (I'll help it's 5.. One, Two, Three, Four, Five.. that number.. Five) Then go and name the number of streaming audio apps supported by CarPlay. (its over 100.. One Hundred!).

Outside of Spotify, Tune-in, Slacker Radio, Tidal and Caraoke.. any other streaming audio in a Tesla must be streamed AND controlled via a Bluetooth-connected device. Surely you realize people also listen to streaming audio sources like SiriusXM, Pandora, Apple Music, Youtube Music, Google Music, Amazon Music, Audible, iHeart Radio, Podcasts, ESPN radio, FOX sports radio, CNN, MSNBC, FOXNEWS, CNBC, NBA, NFL, NHL, talk radio, international radio stations, college textbooks, entertaining novels, etc, and plenty of other streaming audio sources. And that's before I get to the other dedicated meeting apps like MS Teams & Zoom for attending work conference calls. Or that I simply never want to pay $20 every month ($10 to Spotify + $10 to Tesla) for their "premium" plans.. when CarPlay gives me all these apps in BETTER quality & presentation.. and its all FREE to use on the 5G connection I already have on my smartphone.

Let me repeat that again. CarPlay streams DIRECTLY from my device.. in the HIGHEST audio qualify possible.. and uses the FASTER 5G/LTE connection on phone. The on-screen colorful interface & on-screen controls are BETTER.. the QUALITY of the actual audio is better.. the apps are more RESPONSIVE.. all apps get UPDATED much more often.. and all apps are absolutely more RELIABLE to use (how many times has Tesla's Spotify crashed or frozen on you.. lets be honest lol).

Do I even need to mention that I'd much rather prefer to use Waze for Navigation as it will alert me to cops, speed cameras, hazards, weather, and road debris ON THE SCREEN.. or that Google Maps has the best POI & information of locations.. or that Apple Maps has the best voice, map layout & lane guidance (its the only one that feels like a real person is giving me directions.. plus it provides additional prompts on my Apple Watch guaranteeing I will never miss an exit).

Siri integration allows me to do anything from making phone calls completely hands-free.. to sending/replying to messages and even controlling other devices like my home automation or garage door opener.

Im sorry but in no freaking world is Tesla's infotainment in the same conversation. Its a freaking joke lol! It amazes me, anybody who claims to have experience with both CarPlay and Tesla's in-car infotainment.. actually prefers the Tesla solution. For the most part, my Tesla solution excels at being this huge black & white map that is only useful for basic navigation, Supercharger locations, and battery information on routing. Unless Im driving more than 200 miles in a single day.. I don't even give a damn where Superchargers are located. And I have the standard range Model Y. The people that have the long-range should be less concerned with Superchargers than me.

Last edited:
my EDD changed almost every week for 7 months. Deliveries from Tesla are a random walk.
Anyone claiming good predictive knowledge is only kidding themselves.
Yah, yours is crazy too, lol. Feels bad tho for folks that is thinking the estimated is a legit estimation. I think that's why I'm all up for fair competition. Hoping Tesla compare notes.

There are currently 101 Model Y's sitting in inventory nationwide. These vehicles are brand new builds (some demos).. half are already 2023 models which started being built just a couple of weeks ago. Most importantly ALL of them are ready for immediate delivery across the entire US. There is effectively NO wait to buy a brand new Model Y. That includes both the MYP and the MYLR. You just have to choose a color/option combination that is in stock. This is literally the highest number of available listed I've seen since I purchased my Y new in March of 2021. As someone who checked inventory trackers often, I can tell you last quarter was also the first where they didn't all sell by the end of the quarter.. and the number of available inventory vehicles goes up about 25% every month.

Granted we all know a new $7,500 tax credit is coming in January and there are definitely smart people on the fence waiting this out for another 7 weeks. But for anyone who has been paying attention the available supply of Model Y's (new & used) has been increasing to the point where it's concerning. Concerning in that trade-in values are dropping significantly. I feel terrible for anyone purchasing a new Model Y right now at current prices combined with 7% car loan interest rates as most of their value is going to be absolutely washed away quicker than they can drive the car home. They are effectively buying a $70K vehicle.. with an $80K loan.. and its trade-in value will be down to $45K in less than a year. More likely about 6 months as the looming tax credit is bound to put downward pressure on used 3 & Y's
I definite understand all of the concerns but at the end of the day, if you are responsible enough to be able to afford it comfortably and you're not starving, it is what it is. The alternative is not buying.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Congress is already looking to negate those barriers, and the EU is also looking to dodge them.
The political odds are good that they'll find a way to make most EV's qualified for the tax rebates.
Especially since buying votes is now a fixture of policy.
Tell me more. Does this require a change to the existing law? Is Manchin onboard? They better hurry, because congress will change over to new management soon.

• Informative
Tell me more. Does this require a change to the existing law? Is Manchin onboard? They better hurry, because congress will change over to new management soon.
all of this has been reported in multiple places, but here are easily accessed ones:
nothing i stated is dependent on who wins the Mid Terms. It's about WTO rules and politicians buying votes, a popular procedure on both sides of the aisle.

Manchin has been sidelined by the Dems in payback for his BBB 'No' vote last year.
Biden is public with 'Killing Coal" comments now - a direct attack on West Virginia and Manchin, who's been screwed after signing up for the climate bill in September by negotiating for improved/faster permitting procedures, a classic foot-drag on project approvals. His condition for his vote was a quid-pro-quo on permitting. His tactic failed him as Dems went ahead without the permitting relief, and now Biden says FU to coal and WV. Manchin is hosed.

Maybe you missed the title of this thread. But its literally asking your opinion on: "Model Y Not Worth the Price Now".

With a poll currently showing 75% of the respondents say it's not worth the current price.
why would most people sign up for "it's a fair price" when the premise for the question was that it's not?
NOTHING is priced "fairly" when inflation is raging as it is now, and given a means to vent, people will respond as expected.
and anyone familiar with polling techniques understands that how the question is posed determines the answers gotten.

the real question isn't "is it priced fairly".
the real question is "what does it compare best to?" because that's the question faced by people needing / wanting to get a new vehicle.

What world do you guys live in? Name the number of streaming audio apps that are natively supported by Tesla's UI. (I'll help it's 5.. One, Two, Three, Four, Five.. that number.. Five) Then go and name the number of streaming audio apps supported by CarPlay. (its over 100.. One Hundred!).

Outside of Spotify, Tune-in, Slacker Radio, Tidal and Caraoke.. any other streaming audio in a Tesla must be streamed AND controlled via a Bluetooth-connected device. Surely you realize people also listen to streaming audio sources like SiriusXM, Pandora, Apple Music, Youtube Music, Google Music, Amazon Music, Audible, iHeart Radio, Podcasts, ESPN radio, FOX sports radio, CNN, MSNBC, FOXNEWS, CNBC, NBA, NFL, NHL, talk radio, international radio stations, college textbooks, entertaining novels, etc, and plenty of other streaming audio sources. And that's before I get to the other dedicated meeting apps like MS Teams & Zoom for attending work conference calls. Or that I simply never want to pay $20 every month ($10 to Spotify + $10 to Tesla) for their "premium" plans.. when CarPlay gives me all these apps in BETTER quality & presentation.. and its all FREE to use on the 5G connection I already have on my smartphone.

Let me repeat that again. CarPlay streams DIRECTLY from my device.. in the HIGHEST audio qualify possible.. and uses the FASTER 5G/LTE connection on phone. The on-screen colorful interface & on-screen controls are BETTER.. the QUALITY of the actual audio is better.. the apps are more RESPONSIVE.. all apps get UPDATED much more often.. and all apps are absolutely more RELIABLE to use (how many times has Tesla's Spotify crashed or frozen on you.. lets be honest lol).

Do I even need to mention that I'd much rather prefer to use Waze for Navigation as it will alert me to cops, speed cameras, hazards, weather, and road debris ON THE SCREEN.. or that Google Maps has the best POI & information of locations.. or that Apple Maps has the best voice, map layout & lane guidance (its the only one that feels like a real person is giving me directions.. plus it provides additional prompts on my Apple Watch guaranteeing I will never miss an exit).

Siri integration allows me to do anything from making phone calls completely hands-free.. to sending/replying to messages and even controlling other devices like my home automation or garage door opener.

Im sorry but in no freaking world is Tesla's infotainment in the same conversation. Its a freaking joke lol! It amazes me, anybody who claims to have experience with both CarPlay and Tesla's in-car infotainment.. actually prefers the Tesla solution. For the most part, my Tesla solution excels at being this huge black & white map that is only useful for basic navigation, Supercharger locations, and battery information on routing. Unless Im driving more than 200 miles in a single day.. I don't even give a damn where Superchargers are located. And I have the standard range Model Y. The people that have the long-range should be less concerned with Superchargers than me.

Your experiences are with the older Intel based MCU, right? Might have experienced one crash ever with AMD-based MCUs in 2022 over the various Teslas I've owned.

So I've had a few cars in 2022 (lol) and my CarPlay experience have been random as its bugs. When it works, it's great... WHEN it works. The most common issues I've encountered are failure to connect at startup and the second is wrong GPS location. Both I've experienced on Mach-Es, Telluride, i4, MINI electric, etc. This will happen randomly on various cars leaving navigation completely useless for the entire drive and resolve itself a drive a few hours later. Can't blame any car because I had the same issue with my i4 and Mach-E on the same night... I was actually hunting for some Cactus Plant McDonald toys lol. Navigation was hosed all night. Fine the next morning.

My worst experience with CarPlay is with my favorite ICE car - the Telluride. CarPlay and the native system would fight over audio and display control. I could not listen to Satellite radio and use CarPlay or vice versa (native maps with Spotify) as any operation stomp the audio I wanted and force display to either CarPlay or native. This system (GEN5HW) is used on all modern Hyundai/Kia cars which is sad. How Ford implements CarPlay in the Mach-E and Lightning is ideal... it's displayed in a sub-area of the tablet screen and allows CarPlay to run in parallel. Ford is the first carmaker to expose EV data to Apple Maps so it can route to chargers in navigation.

How the BMW/MINI group has implemented CarPlay is barely any different from Hyundai/Kia sadly.

Siri works for phone operations. It's terrible at controlling apps. I'm not surprised Ford is pushing Alexa as the recommended voice control system for the Mach-E. So far I prefer how Ford has implemented CarPlay on the Mach-E but of course there are bugs (https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/dear-ford-get-your-act-together….23223/) caused by OTA updates.

I much prefer a fully integrated Android Automotive OS like in the Polestar 2 over CarPlay and Tesla's system. It worked well in my test drive. However I've heard there are numerous bugs on that system too.

all of this has been reported in multiple places, but here are easily accessed ones:
nothing i stated is dependent on who wins the Mid Terms. It's about WTO rules and politicians buying votes, a popular procedure on both sides of the aisle.

Manchin has been sidelined by the Dems in payback for his BBB 'No' vote last year.
Biden is public with 'Killing Coal" comments now - a direct attack on West Virginia and Manchin, who's been screwed after signing up for the climate bill in September by negotiating for improved/faster permitting procedures, a classic foot-drag on project approvals. His condition for his vote was a quid-pro-quo on permitting. His tactic failed him as Dems went ahead without the permitting relief, and now Biden says FU to coal and WV. Manchin is hosed.

Interesting, thanks for the article links. The first you linked to, on electrek, is a new bill. I don’t see how it passes without Manchin, and that would need to happen in the next 6 weeks. And it will certainly be killed after the midterms. You expect McCarthy or McConnell to bring a bill called the “Affordable Electric Vehicles for America Act” up for a vote? Seems dead to me.

why would most people sign up for "it's a fair price" when the premise for the question was that it's not?
NOTHING is priced "fairly" when inflation is raging as it is now, and given a means to vent, people will respond as expected.
and anyone familiar with polling techniques understands that how the question is posed determines the answers gotten.

the real question isn't "is it priced fairly".
the real question is "what does it compare best to?" because that's the question faced by people needing / wanting to get a new vehicle.
I agree with this. If this ain’t it, then what would be the alternative for people that are needing/wanting a new vehicle? Tesla might not be worth it BUT, what is at this price point and what are you giving up by not going with a Tesla/MY?

Interesting, thanks for the article links. The first you linked to, on electrek, is a new bill. I don’t see how it passes without Manchin, and that would need to happen in the next 6 weeks. And it will certainly be killed after the midterms. You expect McCarthy or McConnell to bring a bill called the “Affordable Electric Vehicles for America Act” up for a vote? Seems dead to me.
It's a refinement of existing bills and reflection of how politicians all want to buy votes.
It's popular, it's expected, people think it's Green, pols want to get re-elected.
With or without Manchin, doesn't matter. Repub or Dem, doesn't matter.
the only thing that matters is "how much". Dems want more. Repubs want it reduced in the name of budget reduction. But it will likely survive.

Maybe you missed the title of this thread. But its literally asking your opinion on: "Model Y Not Worth the Price Now".

With a poll currently showing 75% of the respondents say it's not worth the current price.
Reviewing All of the data of this thread and poll I would notice that the thread has been viewed over 7 thousand times yet only 200 people see it as not worth it or worth the effort to vote on the topic in general.

• Funny
Reviewing All of the data of this thread and poll I would notice that the thread has been viewed over 7 thousand times yet only 200 people see it as not worth it or worth the effort to vote on the topic in general.
7k verified individuals?
Or the same 200 people making and viewing replies over X days everytime they see a quote attacking their opinion and taking the bait to win the internet?

This time I'll get 'em good!

Personally, (implying this is like, just my opinion man) my used '21 is worth more than a new late model '22. If I total my car and get full replacement I will have a less capable car. Which to me, implies less intrinsic value regardless of wild/rampant inflation. Demand is what is really driving the "cost" (IE, not worth) higher. $6 gas will do that.

Reactions: Eric9610
If you got the car at a cheaper price. It's hard to say that it's worth 30%more.

It doesn't mean it isn't. They're selling plenty of them. It's value is ultimately worth what people are willing to pay for it.

I know if I were buying today, the Model Y would be out of my car budget.

It was kind of at the limit when I bought it last year, but it offered so much (and Toyota had a +20% "Market Adjustment" for the Rav4 Prime) that after thinking about it for a month, I pulled the trigger.

I'm completely happy with the car and while I may not pay $70k for it (or any car), others may.

It's a refinement of existing bills and reflection of how politicians all want to buy votes.
It's popular, it's expected, people think it's Green, pols want to get re-elected.
With or without Manchin, doesn't matter. Repub or Dem, doesn't matter.
the only thing that matters is "how much". Dems want more. Repubs want it reduced in the name of budget reduction. But it will likely survive.
You have a lot more confidence in this congress than I do. Refinement or not, it still needs to pass the house and senate. And I don’t see any Republican sponsors of the bill, not a good sign for bipartisanship. I don’t think EVs or “green energy” are very popular on one side of the aisle, and this one would give money to foreign automakers, another negative. But you’re right, Manchin’s vote probably won’t matter because it would get filibustered first.

Well, thanks for sharing your opinion. I’m a tech-forward millennial that used CarPlay for years, buy and love all the latest tech, and have a career in tech, yet I much prefer the native Tesla experience to CarPlay. I pay the $10/month for premium connectivity and I don’t care because it’s worth it. Extremely fast, fully detailed satellite maps with live traffic that fill up most of the 15” screen are better than any mapping app I used with CarPlay. Ive lived in 3 major cities (Dallas, Miami, Boston) while I’ve owned this car, and driven across the country between all 3, and I am blown away by how good the navigation and UI is. It’s been extremely accurate for me in these metro areas, and I leave it on the satellite maps which show fully detailed images from google maps. I never liked Waze, I find the UI dorky and distracting. I don’t want or need 37 streaming apps built into my car. I use Apple Music and Apple Podcasts, neither are natively supported. My phone connects instantly, I start an album, playlist, or podcast as I enter the car, throw it on the wireless charger, and I’m good to go. The UI does allow you to pull up playlists on screen once the phone is connected, shows album art, etc. I’d prefer it fully native, but I don’t have a problem with this. I also have Spotify in the car, which I do use natively, and it doesn’t freeze for me. I personally have no desire to use any other streaming apps in the car. I can do calls/texts hands free in my Tesla. Can you not?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and we all like different things. For me, the Tesla infotainment system is better than anything else I’ve used in any other vehicle. If I end up buying something other than a Tesla down the road, I feel it’ll be the biggest thing I miss. I’d suggest paying the $9.99 for premium connectivity however, otherwise you’re not getting an internet connected, rich experience.

There are things I would like from Tesla: Apple Music/Podcasts native integration and the ability to use the Apple Watch as an officially supported key would be nice. No desire for CarPlay. It sounds like you prefer your car to be fully connected to every aspect of your life and I personally don’t have a desire/need for that. I wouldn’t even want it. I get that having the option would be great for some and this is just my personal opinion.

That's an interesting take. What features did you feel you gained going into the MY from the MX? Also, what features do you miss that's not on the MY?
I got more cameras and all the functionality that came with them including sentry mode. I love the turn signal activating the camera view for that side. Also over 300 miles of range compared to the 220 miles on the MX. Plus the much faster charging. I may still miss the MX air suspension on some bumpy roads but M3 suspension is comfortable. The MX auto open doors were nice but inconvenient when doing tasks near the car with Fob in pocket. At this point in my life I don't need all the luxuries of an MX.

I got more cameras and all the functionality that came with them including sentry mode. I love the turn signal activating the camera view for that side. Also over 300 miles of range compared to the 220 miles on the MX. Plus the much faster charging. I may still miss the MX air suspension on some bumpy roads but M3 suspension is comfortable. The MX auto open doors were nice but inconvenient when doing tasks near the car with Fob in pocket. At this point in my life I don't need all the luxuries of an MX.
I appreciate the feedback. Always curious to see the comparison and nothing beats hearing from someone owning both of these cars. Not going to lie, the doors are pretty cool, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.