Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Not Worth the Price Now [Nov 2022]

Is the Current Price on the MY LR Overpriced?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely it is, at 48k-50k i thought it was a solid value and a lot of people willing to punch above the 30k general areas to get a model y and get into a ev suv

Now at almost 70k it’s definitely not worth imo it priced itself out
On the flip side its crazy how many still pay that much to get it tho
People are will to pay the price with the uncertainty of gasoline prices skyrocketing since the past 2 years and more increases coming. I’ve not found anything remotely acceptable to my refreshed 22 MYP. Not many sect choices of other EV either. I paid about $73k for MYP, after 1900 miles and operating cost under $5 in electricity. How can I compare or complain vs ice vehicle.

Post loss of tax credits, the $67K base white Model Y has become a decent value but I think the GV60, Lyriq, and i4 are actually better "values" assuming no markups (which are mostly fading in FL). None of the BMW dealers I spoke to charge markup and Hyundai dealers who offered me Ioniq 5s have dropped theirs and GV60s are widely available up north at MSRP and only cost $1500 to ship.

The Ioniq 5 Limited AWD at MSRP and GV60 Advanced are downright bargains even without the tax credit. Sadly those two trims are rarely made.

Now.. when the Model Y is eligible for full or half tax credit in 2023... it will be good value again. Face it... most of us who bought Ys paid sub-$60K for it because we order so long ago.
I’m NJ there is a $5 to 10k mark up on ioniq 5.

People are will to pay the price with the uncertainty of gasoline prices skyrocketing since the past 2 years and more increases coming. I’ve not found anything remotely acceptable to my refreshed 22 MYP. Not many sect choices of other EV either. I paid about $73k for MYP, after 1900 miles and operating cost under $5 in electricity. How can I compare or complain vs ice vehicle.
We have both a 2020 Model Y that we've had for over two years and an all-electric Volvo XC40 Recharge that we've had for over a year. The Volvo is, hands-down, muuuuuuch easier to drive and much more comfortable in almost every respect.

We almost never drive the Model Y anymore except for really long trips if we think there's a chance there won't be any fast Volvo-compatible chargers along the route (less and less the case, by the way).

I would *never* buy the Model Y again, and certainly not at today's prices, without any radar, ultrasound (LOL), passenger side electric seat adjustments (LOLOL), etc...lol.

For $55K or so, you can get crossover all-electric SUVs that are equal to or superior to the Model Y, which now costs, as you point out, about $70K for the LR variant.

The lower-drag, Volvo C40 (vice XC40) all-electric is approaching Model Y LR range, as are others, such as the single motor variants of the Kia EV6 and the Polestar 2. And the build quality is faaar superior on all of these other makes and models. Two years later, and people are still reporting comical assembly errors and misfitting parts in the Model Y. It's a joke, honestly.

Last edited:
The big question is when will Tesla lower prices… A lot of people could be significantly upside down especially at todays price.
Cars aren’t investments, though. Generally, as soon as you drive off the lot, it’s said that cars immediately lose something like 10% of their value. It’s a depreciating asset, so you’ll always be upside down. That’s why gap insurance is offered on financed cars.

Cars aren’t investments, though. Generally, as soon as you drive off the lot, it’s said that cars immediately lose something like 10% of their value. It’s a depreciating asset, so you’ll always be upside down. That’s why gap insurance is offered on financed cars.
Totally agree and I actually think it’s higher than 10%. This topic point though is different than Tesla dropping the price say 10% like they did in Chine. So in reality it’s a 20% drop, drive off penalty and Tesla market based pricing penalty.

It will be interesting to see in late Q1 and Q2 of 23 when these higher priced MY are being delivered how many people take them with rates going up at least 1 time more before they see cars.

It’s interesting to see many of the votes agree that the Y is not worth the current price and that most would not get another Y.

Also performance is subjective and when comparing what was in those videos the Y can only do how many drags before the battery is below 70% where it loses output. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Y just not at $70k…

It’s interesting to see many of the votes agree that the Y is not worth the current price and that most would not get another Y.

Also performance is subjective and when comparing what was in those videos the Y can only do how many drags before the battery is below 70% where it loses output. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Y just not at $70k…
lol. You really find Any validity in a poll asking if they think something should cost more? Nobody can honestly say that. And anyone considering an EV based on Drag times for a family grocery car bought the Wrong car! Lol

I’m NJ there is a $5 to 10k mark up on ioniq 5.

There are numerous dealers in neighboring states that sell at MSRP. I wished I lived there sometimes since I see many GV60s sitting on lots at MSRP. I pinged a CT dealer and they had 10 available yesterday.

NJ doesn’t have sales tax on EVs either.

There’s plenty of viable competition now that didn’t exist back in summer 2021 when I first bought an EV.

I didn’t mention it before but I think the top of the trim Ariya at $60K is also very nice - I test drove two back in July. The Lyriq is a better value but the Ariya makes the Ioniq 5 and EV6 feels like budget cars (and the Y too).

The Y in any form cannot compete with those SUV's in any category other than performance. Their fit, finish, options and overall build quality is light years ahead.
The Y can compete with their base models as well as the base RDX & Q5. It's not opinion or subjective. It's fact. Look at every other category other than performance and it's undebatable.

Fit, finish, Build quality, are all subjective measurements. "performance" is not. Just because you say "its not opinion or subjective" doesnt somehow make "fit / finish" an objective measurement.

Reactions: LHC22 and Zalick
Fit, finish, Build quality, are all subjective measurements. "performance" is not. Just because you say "its not opinion or subjective" doesnt somehow make "fit / finish" an objective measurement.
I think ya’ll are confusing styling with fit/finish and build quality, there are many different ways to objectively assess the latter. Panel gap measurements, thickness and quality of the body paint, defects in any of the materials or workmanship, noise db levels in the cabin, just off the top of my head. If we had a real cost breakdown and a breakdown of the quality of materials themselves, we could compare what it costs Tesla to build these things versus price and see how that compares to other brands and that would theoretically represent value — we kinda get that through Tesla’s profit margins.

Now it can be argued that you don’t want the style associated with opulent materials, stitching, a lot of money put into the details, but it should then cost much less.

We have both a 2020 Model Y that we've had for over two years and an all-electric Volvo XC40 Recharge that we've had for over a year. The Volvo is, hands-down, muuuuuuch easier to drive and much more comfortable in almost every respect.
I'm curious about how the XC40 Recharge is easier to drive compared to a MY? Can you elaborate?

We have the MYP and a C40. I've found that the drivetrain in the Volvo feels remarkably similar to the Tesla, as does the one pedal driving feel. Personally, I prefer the tighter suspension setup of the MYP and it's heavier steering wheel feel in sport setting. The C40 feels a bit floaty by comparison (but probably not actually floaty). I think both cars drive extremely well, and more or less the same (besides the extra oomph and tighter suspension that the MYP has) which is why I'm curious why you find the XC40 Recharge to be much easier to drive.

I ordered my MYP in July, 2021, so today's prices do feel overpriced. At the time I thought the MYP was a pretty good deal compared to other performance CUVs. That's probably no longer the case, but I haven't really checked how much other manufacturers have increased their prices, so maybe it's not as bad as it seems. But if I was in the market today, I'm not sure I could pull the trigger on the MYP at $72k+TTL because I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend that much on any car. The MYP was already the most expensive car I've ever purchased.

I ordered my MYP in July, 2021, so today's prices do feel overpriced. At the time I thought the MYP was a pretty good deal compared to other performance CUVs. That's probably no longer the case, but I haven't really checked how much other manufacturers have increased their prices, so maybe it's not as bad as it seems. But if I was in the market today, I'm not sure I could pull the trigger on the MYP at $72k+TTL because I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend that much on any car. The MYP was already the most expensive car I've ever purchased.
Prices are up everywhere. Comparable EV's are in the $60K+ range

Heck, even the Touring trim on the CR-V is almost $40k.

Reactions: laservet

Tesla has priced the Y where it CAN and IS selling as fast as they can make them. I suspect at some point when the competition starts taking a real bite out of its sales (if ever) they will lower the price accordingly.

And I hate to bring this up but after trying to register my Tesla on EVGO's new Autopay+ plan I gave up after trying two different EA locations and the last straw was when speaking with a Customer Rep (obviously working from home based on the background noise) where she wasn't able to help me because she didn't know anything about the plan and how to enroll, so while I have a CCS adapter finding an operable location is still a crap shoot.

So if charging and long-distance travel are important to you, Tesla is the only way to go. That's worth a lot to me and my family as a 70-year-old disabled vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.