Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y now unaffordable for most of us

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
German cars are generally awesome until just after the warranty expires at which point they start having expensive gremlins. Either buy one used and expect to invest, or keep til 50k ish mile mark and dump. Their resale in "normal times" reflects this reality across the board, data doesn't lie. Not sure why anyone would have higher expectations out of their EV's than they've manifested in their ICE vehicles.

Back to the affordability thing - seems like this horse has been well flogged but someone had a comment regarding average income in US, but that's not really relevant. Need the average income of a TESLA BUYER, for which there is at least some data.

Inb4 the "but its so expensive in the Bay area and so this is skewed, I am poor at 125k / year salary!", which may be true. But then you likely should stick with a used hybrid or low cost ICE vehicle (again, thinking of normal car price times) and stop trying to keep up with the more well heeled residents. Nobody "deserves" a Tesla, nobody should "demand" a low cost option from Tesla either. The entire narrative is both narcissistic and ridiculous.

Carry on.
Even rented a new A6 it was utter crap. Personal experiences and those of friends/family is what we tend to base off of.

They have actually started to tighten things up, no longer allowing people to keep rolling their order over forever and locking in a price from a year ago, for example. And I don't believe there is an 'official' way to transfer a reservation. I think it was always a matter of finding a sales advisor who was willing to do some strange things behind the scenes to get it done.
Exactly right. If one logs into an account of someone who ordered long ago and and puts their own financial info into the application, the car goes to the approved person regardless of whose email the account belongs to. After delivery, a SA will move the car over to the owners account. This isn’t hard it’s just frowned upon due to increasing prices. Normally in a more stable market, doesn’t matter.

German cars are generally awesome until just after the warranty expires at which point they start having expensive gremlins. Either buy one used and expect to invest, or keep til 50k ish mile mark and dump. Their resale in "normal times" reflects this reality across the board, data doesn't lie. Not sure why anyone would have higher expectations out of their EV's than they've manifested in their ICE vehicles.

Back to the affordability thing - seems like this horse has been well flogged but someone had a comment regarding average income in US, but that's not really relevant. Need the average income of a TESLA BUYER, for which there is at least some data.

Inb4 the "but its so expensive in the Bay area and so this is skewed, I am poor at 125k / year salary!", which may be true. But then you likely should stick with a used hybrid or low cost ICE vehicle (again, thinking of normal car price times) and stop trying to keep up with the more well heeled residents. Nobody "deserves" a Tesla, nobody should "demand" a low cost option from Tesla either. The entire narrative is both narcissistic and ridiculous.

Carry on.
Lol you're so right about this.

It's ok but it's very noticeable that since the 3's a sedan you need to "fall into" the car instead of sit in it like an SUV.
This is exactly why I went for the Y. Not hauling usually more than myself and sometimes wife around + the occasional Costco trips so space-wise, the 3 would suit my requirements. But the higher riding height with a better vantage perspective while on the road, and ease of entry/exit sold me on going Y vs 3.

The rear seat if you spend some time there, and are also "vertically advantaged", you may sing a different tune. It's not a place I'd like to be for more than 30-60 mins at a time personally.

Ok ready for this? Logged into my account this morning to see if any Edd given we have. A window of Jan 28-Feb 11th. 7 seater Y.

And shockingly…thecar is missing! Gone…no record of it. Just a ‘please order a Tesla from our config page’ WTF?! All our profile info is still there…our personal name and corp name as it’s going on our company…but no car 😠

This was an august order so older pricing. We had a delivery for Xmas time and we were away so they gave the vin away even though we said give us 2 days to return and take delivery prior to their precious quarter end. 🤦🏽‍♂️

So then we went through the June delivery issues for a bit only to have a new Jan 28-Feb 11th about 2 weeks ago. Since then anxiously waiting!

And now this? Could it be it’s updating to an actual VIN and I logged in during update?

Definitely did NOT expect this!! I have pics of our order, finance approval, latest del estimate dates. Tesla can’t just cancel an order can they? We havnt pushed or tried to delay anything…just wanted the car!

Ok ready for this? Logged into my account this morning to see if any Edd given we have. A window of Jan 28-Feb 11th. 7 seater Y.

And shockingly…thecar is missing! Gone…no record of it. Just a ‘please order a Tesla from our config page’ WTF?! All our profile info is still there…our personal name and corp name as it’s going on our company…but no car 😠

This was an august order so older pricing. We had a delivery for Xmas time and we were away so they gave the vin away even though we said give us 2 days to return and take delivery prior to their precious quarter end. 🤦🏽‍♂️

So then we went through the June delivery issues for a bit only to have a new Jan 28-Feb 11th about 2 weeks ago. Since then anxiously waiting!

And now this? Could it be it’s updating to an actual VIN and I logged in during update?

Definitely did NOT expect this!! I have pics of our order, finance approval, latest del estimate dates. Tesla can’t just cancel an order can they? We havnt pushed or tried to delay anything…just wanted the car!
I wouldn't worry about it. Just check it later.

Families that have 1 kid and immediately spring for a minivan (then end up not having any more kids) kill me. Lol
Don't knock the minivan till you've tried one. And sometimes that's the best option available. We have one kid and wound up with a used minivan when my wife totaled her last car--it was the best option within our price range that was available RFN. I love that thing--we usually keep the back seat stowed so we have a gigantic trunk (great for taking family trips or hauling larger stuff) and when we have family in town it's easy for everyone to ride together. The extra seating has also come in handy with church youth group activities and guys' trips.

I've been looking at a Y or one of the trucks (and now, an EV6) because I need a little towing ability and more cargo space than the trunk of a sedan. But if someone made a BEV minivan with good range I'd be sorely tempted. I just can't comfortably afford any of them right at the moment.

So we'll keep using our (paid off) minivan for the family, and my (paid cash) old short cab truck for now.

Reactions: xls_ and omegafiler
I hope so. Never seen this before. And this isn’t our first tesla..veteran S and 3 owners since 2015…
Ok now figured it out.

Loss prevention cancelled our 7pass Y order because we originally had a 2021 5 pass Y with white seats and sold it to a dealer so we could switch to our 7 pass/blk interior.
They said something like ‘you were found to make profit on the resell and according to our MVPA, you cannot order in bad faith or for resell purposes’. Wtf?

We had our Y for abt 2 months before we realized it wasn’t the trim level we needed so we ended up selling to a 3rd party dealer rather than having multiple buyers coming into our car during Covid. What they offered us on resale was quite shocking but we took it as we needed to make the change.

So now 1 week into delivery Tesla pulls this ?!
This is unacceptable. We don’t flip cars and we only wanted to upgrade from 5 to 7 and change white to /black int due to kids soccer and constant dirt. This Y is supposed to be our final family SUV.

I’m emailed resolutions but this is ridiculous! We didn’t order the 7 pass for selling it…just to replace the 5 pass. What a mess!

Don't knock the minivan till you've tried one. And sometimes that's the best option available. We have one kid and wound up with a used minivan when my wife totaled her last car--it was the best option within our price range that was available RFN. I love that thing--we usually keep the back seat stowed so we have a gigantic trunk (great for taking family trips or hauling larger stuff) and when we have family in town it's easy for everyone to ride together. The extra seating has also come in handy with church youth group activities and guys' trips.

I've been looking at a Y or one of the trucks (and now, an EV6) because I need a little towing ability and more cargo space than the trunk of a sedan. But if someone made a BEV minivan with good range I'd be sorely tempted. I just can't comfortably afford any of them right at the moment.

So we'll keep using our (paid off) minivan for the family, and my (paid cash) old short cab truck for now.
I'm more dinging the mentality that people think they need to get a minivan as soon as they have 1 kid, not that minivans are lame or anything.