Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y now unaffordable for most of us

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owned a Chevrolet volt since 2013, waiting for a Tesla I could afford. Followed all of the cost reductions in the batteries and structure only to see one price increase after another, including the deletion of lr rwd on model y making it a 60,000 car. The loss of federal tax credit of 7500 did not help, Musk’s reply to this is Tesla doesn’t need it, my reply is I did. Many comparable suv’s coming out, ie ioniq5, ev6 and q4 15-20000 less expensive. I considered Musk the Henry Ford of the ev, but I must say adios because he has left me behind.

My nephew just bought an Ionic 5, loves it, but it's a daily commuter for him. He has an ICE car for road trips.

The average price paid for a car in the US last year was over $57,000, average luxury vehicle over $67,000, average nonluxury over $53,000. Inflation hurts us all.
it's less inflation and more semiconductor shortage. Factories could be pumping out vehicles left and right if they only had enough chips

Owned a Chevrolet volt since 2013, waiting for a Tesla I could afford. Followed all of the cost reductions in the batteries and structure only to see one price increase after another, including the deletion of lr rwd on model y making it a 60,000 car. The loss of federal tax credit of 7500 did not help, Musk’s reply to this is Tesla doesn’t need it, my reply is I did. Many comparable suv’s coming out, ie ioniq5, ev6 and q4 15-20000 less expensive. I considered Musk the Henry Ford of the ev, but I must say adios because he has left me behind.

I dont get this type of post, especially if someone joins a website to make it. I get that car is out of reach for many, that part I get. The part I dont get is someone joining a website that is specifically for that brand to say "i cant afford it so I am going to buy X or Y".

I cant afford a maserati, but I am not going to go on forums dedicated to discussing maseratis and say 'I cant afford this car so I am going to buy a BMW or Audi".

If this OP wants cheaper from tesla, then they should be looking at a Model 3 RWD. No one "needs" a SUV type vehicle (yes, I said it, even people with kids do not NEED a SUV").

I dont get this type of post, especially if someone joins a website to make it. I get that car is out of reach for many, that part I get. The part I dont get is someone joining a website that is specifically for that brand to say "i cant afford it so I am going to buy X or Y".

I cant afford a maserati, but I am not going to go on forums dedicated to discussing maseratis and say 'I cant afford this car so I am going to buy a BMW or Audi".

If this OP wants cheaper from tesla, then they should be looking at a Model 3 RWD. No one "needs" a SUV type vehicle (yes, I said it, even people with kids do not NEED a SUV").
bingo. the Model 3 AWD is ($8k) cheaper than the Model Y AWD and the Model 3 RWD is nearly ($15k) cheaper...

but then again... families with just one or two children think they can't make it without a Chevy Suburban...

Affordable to most still...people be dropping 60k+ on ice trucks for years... I got in without a 7500 tax rebate, but i missed the 48990 dip waiting on a grant that ran out of money. Got in at the 49990. Got the 1500 cali instant rebate. Then got the cvrp rebate. 2 reasons I went LR instead of P is the ride and the 60k cap for cvrp....If it was today i might get the P since so close in price now, and I bought coilover kit for LR anyways... 60k for a car in general might not have bought a car at all and kept my prius Prime, and the Mrs would have had to stuck with her old car for a while. Everything is expensive due to inflation/gouging/politics etc. Waiting on house dip to buy, hopefully next year... IF the ev rebate thing happens then it brings it closer to last year's price.

Need vs want for sure. I only got the Tesla since my prime had 4 seats and with the addition of the mrs and her kids put us at 5. Almost went model 3 but for only a few K more got the Y....Way more spacious, especially backseat leg room. 7 seat option I looked at but only really for TINY kids... Plus i wanted a hatch and not a trunk. The 3 LR would have worked for sure though, however if I am spending this kind of money I am going to get what I WANT, else i would have traded in the 18 prime for a 21 prime that has 5 seats lol, or just a cheaper hybrid car.

My nephew just bought an Ionic 5, loves it, but it's a daily commuter for him. He has an ICE car for road trips.

The average price paid for a car in the US last year was over $57,000, average luxury vehicle over $67,000, average nonluxury over $53,000. Inflation hurts us all.
Where did your numbers come from?

From Business Insider article citing Kelley Blue Book numbers:

"In December, the average price paid for a new vehicle surpassed $47,000 for the first time, hitting $47,077, according to Kelley Blue Book. The average price of a non-luxury vehicle stood at $43,072, slightly down from an all-time high in November."

For most of us? Or for you?

I see plenty of people in Audi, BMW, Benz, and other vehicles around $50k to $60k. People like nice vehicles. Model Y isn’t out of reach for “most people.” It’s certainly out of reach for some, but for plenty of people it’s within an price range they can afford. I’m addition, some people could see $60 to $100/mo in gas savings. That monthly savings could go to bump up about $4,000 worth of buying power at 2.5% for 60 months. So it’s more like $56,000 cost of entry.

Finally, they’re selling every car they can make, that alone shows they don’t really need to drop prices. Wait your turn and as volume increases prices will drop some.

It's easy to blame Tesla because you see the price hikes on the website but all the other cars have 10-20k dealership markups right now.. I'm helping my cousin shop for a PHEV (he needs the range for interstate commuting) and a 35k Niro is essentially 50k and a 45k RAV4 Prime is essentially 60k after the markups. It's not just Tesla. You can't compare Tesla's prices (which is exactly what you pay) vs a dealerships listed price (no one is actually getting those prices right now).

Where did your numbers come from?

From Business Insider article citing Kelley Blue Book numbers:

"In December, the average price paid for a new vehicle surpassed $47,000 for the first time, hitting $47,077, according to Kelley Blue Book. The average price of a non-luxury vehicle stood at $43,072, slightly down from an all-time high in November."
May have been Statista, I'll track it down. KBB looks at invoice price if I'm not mistaken, doesn't take into account additional market adjustments.

Here's Ford's from Ford Authority:

https://fordauthority.com/2022/01/ford-average-transaction-prices-up-nine-percent-in-2021/

If the OP can wait just a bit the $25,000 Tesla, BYD Dolphin, and a slew of other inexpensive EVs will be available. The Kandi K27 is $13k IIRC.