Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y OEM Factory Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ALl:

I've got the Continental ProContact RX tires on my Model Y and I'm confused about a couple of things.

First of all, the Tesla Safety Information handbook says we have "asymmetric" tires (i.e., there's an "Outside" and an "Inside") and one has to have them mounted the correct way on the wheels.

However, none of mine say "Outside" or "Inside" and they don't look asymmetric at all. The tread would look the same regardless of which way the tires are mounted. The Continental site doesn't say they're "asymmetric" but some third-party seller sites seem to incorrectly state they are (i.e., I think TireRack says that).

Is anyone else confused about this? Did Tesla decide to go with non-asymmetric ties on some production lots and just not tell anyone to fix the safety information book they leave in the glovebox?

Secondly, asymmetric tires are said to be better at road handling. However, these particular tires are designed to be quieter. Does anyone else suspect that Tesla went with less-durable, less-road-huggy tires in order to get road noise down? A lot of the tire reviews on these ProContact RX's on the various sites seem to show people are getting crappy tread life, and lots of stories of chunks being taken out of the tires by common road hazards. I think these have a treadwear rating of 400, which is...Meh...middle of the road, so to speak.

What's up with the safety handbook being wrong about our tires? And did tesla choose non-asymmetric and/or less durable tires to get road noise down in these vehicles?

R,
Bill

9877FE51-EF85-4C64-B492-956ABBBB580C.jpeg
Both of my front tires look like this at 5600 miles. Having them replaced at my expense tomorrow! The Tesla SC admitted that the alignment was way off on both front tires, apparently from the factory. Another expensive example of absolutely horrible quality control at Tesla. The SC aligned the front at no charge, would but would not replace the tires for free. I can’t imagine this happening with any other car manufacturer...

Attachments

• C45E3A49-17FA-4D17-A834-258ABABDA463.jpeg
    C45E3A49-17FA-4D17-A834-258ABABDA463.jpeg
    431.7 KB · Views: 490
  • Helpful
Reactions: aspushkin
View attachment 637345
Both of my front tires look like this at 5600 miles. Having them replaced at my expense tomorrow! The Tesla SC admitted that the alignment was way off on both front tires, apparently from the factory. Another expensive example of absolutely horrible quality control at Tesla. The SC aligned the front at no charge, would but would not replace the tires for free. I can’t imagine this happening with any other car manufacturer...
That’s horrible! I just had an alignment done on my new Y today (only 40 days old!). It was off from the factory as well. Tesla did not charge for the alignment. They should prorate a new set of tires for you. I would fight that for sure.

View attachment 637345

Well, the SC has offered to comp me on one or two future service visits to cover around 50 percent of the cost of the 2 new tires. Makes me a bit happier.