Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y OEM roof rack + Yakima grand touring 16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NHK X

Nov 18, 2017
Texas
Anyone have the OEM model y roof racks? Someone mentioned to me that it can whistle at highway speeds, anyone have any negative experience? I don’t mind some extra wind noise but don’t want whistling. Plan to use cargo box intermittently.

I have OEM roof rack (aka crossbars) on my Y and after 16,000 mostly highway miles, no whistling. But mine was installed on the day of delivery, so I can't compare to a Y without it to opine whether there is absolutely no difference between the two. I am still waiting for my Inno Box 320 cargo box, wonder whether there is any added noise from it. Yakima Skybox 16 unfortunately did not fit and had to be returned. Wondering whether anyone else had the same experience with the skybox.

Reactions: NHK X
I have OEM roof rack (aka crossbars) on my Y and after 16,000 mostly highway miles, no whistling. But mine was installed on the day of delivery, so I can't compare to a Y without it to opine whether there is absolutely no difference between the two. I am still waiting for my Inno Box 320 cargo box, wonder whether there is any added noise from it. Yakima Skybox 16 unfortunately did not fit and had to be returned. Wondering whether anyone else had the same experience with the skybox.
What part didn’t fit? My friend is using it.

I have that same cargo box. I haven’t used it on my car yet since I don’t have it yet but I did see a recent thread here saying it fit. I’ll see if I can track it down.

Edit: found it

Last edited:
I have that same cargo box. I haven’t used it on my car yet since I don’t have it yet but I did see a recent thread here saying it fit. I’ll see if I can track it down.

Edit: found it
Yeah sounds like it barely fits.

The Yakima grand tour 16 seems like it was specifically designed for model 3 and Y based off their product video. Similar design with a slight price premium but I love the overall shape and it just barely appears to sit a little lower. Don’t think there is much difference in aero but it just looks right to me if you watch some YouTube videos on it.

Attachments

• 019C8C1A-C4E4-4F89-9FD7-7F93CB44BE6B.jpeg
    019C8C1A-C4E4-4F89-9FD7-7F93CB44BE6B.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 1,546
What part didn’t fit? My friend is using it.
The arc shaped clamps of Sky Box 16 failed to lock in, they reached across about two thirds. The OEM racks from Tesla are a little too wide for the Sky Box clamps. I don't know whether the design of the OEM rack has been changed since March when I got them. Thule boxes do fit, REI associates did try one of them on my car.

• Informative
Reactions: mT3Silvia
The arc shaped clamps of Sky Box 16 failed to lock in, they reached across about two thirds. The OEM racks from Tesla are a little too wide for the Sky Box clamps. I don't know whether the design of the OEM rack has been changed since March when I got them. Thule boxes do fit, REI associates did try one of them on my car.
CD6C311A-7A28-4C2E-B6C2-CA88727C2F3F.jpeg

Skybox 16 on OEM racks. No issues on the clamps after 400+ miles. (Highway 349 wh/mi, ouch)

I do hear the cabin wind noise more but nothing that’ll make you hate it.

Extra storage is always nice.

Reactions: Anser
The Sky Box 16 did not fit on my MY. The spread of the cross bars was too far for the clamps.

I took my cross bars off for summer and reinstalled them last weekend. When I reinstalled them I noticed some play in where the rear bars attached. As the sky box was very close to fitting when I tried it last year it may be that if you push the back bar forward before tightening (use a torque wrench) that the box will fit.

I ended up with Yakima ski racks which turned out to be all that I have needed (and easier to store).

No noticeable wind noise btw. My wife does not like the look of the racks which is why I took them off in summer. Removal was not for range or noise reasons, simply for looks.

Anyone have the OEM model y roof racks? Someone mentioned to me that it can whistle at highway speeds, anyone have any negative experience? I don’t mind some extra wind noise but don’t want whistling. Plan to use cargo box intermittently.
I've had my roof rack on for several months without any cargo box & I have not noticed any whistles.

View attachment 737871

Skybox 16 on OEM racks. No issues on the clamps after 400+ miles. (Highway 349 wh/mi, ouch)

I do hear the cabin wind noise more but nothing that’ll make you hate it.

Extra storage is always nice.
Looks good on your White car. I am wondering whether Yakima has redesigned the clamps that go around the cross bars. My Yakima skybox 16 was a late 2020 manufacture which was shipped to me early 2021. It reached only half way around the cross bar even with considerable force being used to push it all the way up to lock it. Yours look fully secured. Congratulations and your 349 Wh/mile is not bad at all with a rack at highway speeds if that was the case.

Looks good on your White car. I am wondering whether Yakima has redesigned the clamps that go around the cross bars. My Yakima skybox 16 was a late 2020 manufacture which was shipped to me early 2021. It reached only half way around the cross bar even with considerable force being used to push it all the way up to lock it. Yours look fully secured. Congratulations and your 349 Wh/mile is not bad at all with a rack at highway speeds if that was the case.
Thanks! I got my box in November 2020, so I'm sure your box should be able to adjust to fit. I got 220 miles from 100% down to 10%, so I would say that's workable on road trips.

Reactions: Anser
Here is the Yakima grand tour 16, almost looks like my model X keyfob. Don’t mind the random assortment of crap on the shelf.

Attachments

• 55AFCE20-BE2A-407B-948E-9E9D0D954941.jpeg
    55AFCE20-BE2A-407B-948E-9E9D0D954941.jpeg
    502 KB · Views: 679