Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y on 100% charge not showing the advertised range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the OM:

The driving range displayed in Model Y is based on estimated remaining battery energy and EPA-rated consumption. It does not account for your personal driving patterns or external conditions. The displayed range on the touchscreen may decrease faster than the actual distance driven. To view estimated range based on your recent energy consumption, open the Energy app to display the graph.

Also:

It is normal for estimated range to decrease slightly over the first few months before leveling off. Over time, you may see a gradual, but natural, decrease in range at full charge – this depends on factors such as Supercharging regularly or the mileage and age of the Battery. Your Model Y will inform you in the unlikely event a hardware issue is causing excessive Battery or range degradation.

There are many posts on this topic.

It has been more than an year since I got my model Y and these days when I charge to 100% the range is shown as 290 miles.. I thought it need a recalibration of the battery, but when I spoke to Tesla service rep, he claims that tesla will loose 10% of range after a year or so. Is this true ? he even claims that there was a paper published about this. Is anyone seeing the same ?
My 2021 long range y at 11k won’t charge more than 298 mi. By feb 2021 after the purchase at Christmas it was around 304 mi max. I only saw it get to 322 mi the first charge and then it averaged at 306k. I keep hoping that an update will increase it to at least 310 miles. I guess we will see.

thank you for the info.. I was not aware of this
"there is evidently a problem with letting the car sit with a high charge even at home" .. What is the recommendation when we go on a long vacation ?
Can the car be plugged in during the vacation? Then set the charge limit to 55% it so.

Can’t be plugged in? Then charge it so it drops to about 50% near the end of the vacation, factoring in any drain if you use Sentry Mode or Cabin Overheat Protection, etc.

I believe your estimated range is also based on your driving history. Stop being such an aggressive driver and you'll probably see your estimated range increase over time.

The range is calculated dynamically on your driving habits (aka how often/hard you stomp on the go-pedal), the terrain of the roads you drive on a daily basis as well as the HVAC usage.

For instance, if you drive the speed limit on all roads including the highways, you will gradually see the range numbers improve over time minus the actual battery degradation. At almost 19k miles, my 90% charge has been 280 miles pretty consistently on 20" wheels. If I go to 19" wheels, the range jumps by 10% or so. I try to avoid charging at supercharging stations which accelerates the degradation of battery life.
This is not true. Stop spreading misinformation. The range displayed has nothing to do with how the car is driven or conditions. If you don't know the answer to a question don't guess or make it up, it's not helpful.

Reactions: tonyb99
This is not true. Stop spreading misinformation. The range displayed has nothing to do with how the car is driven or conditions. If you don't know the answer to a question don't guess or make it up, it's not helpful.
Your estimated range does change based on how the car is driven and the conditions it’s being driven in. Similar to how a gas car car mileage estimate changes.
You could have 200 miles of estimated range, but if you are going up hill that estimated mileage will quickly decrease. If you are going downhill you could go 10 miles and not see the range change or could possibly increase based on how much of an decline you’re on.
If it’s cold your mileage decreases.
How can you say the estimated mileage won’t change based on driving habits and conditions?

• Disagree
Reactions: tonyb99
Your estimated range does change based on how the car is driven and the conditions it’s being driven in. Similar to how a gas car car mileage estimate changes.
You could have 200 miles of estimated range, but if you are going up hill that estimated mileage will quickly decrease. If you are going downhill you could go 10 miles and not see the range change or could possibly increase based on how much of an decline you’re on.
How can you say the estimated mileage won’t change based on driving habits and conditions?
See Post #21. You're conflating range displayed with actual range. The displayed range on the screen does not change based on conditions or driving history. For example, if it's 15°F outside, the displayed range will not show 150 miles of range. Also, if you've driven the car hard on the track (783 Wh/mi) , your next charge will not display 60 miles of range. That's not how it works. What will change is the rate at which the range is depleted.

Again - from the OM -

The driving range displayed in Model Y is based on estimated remaining battery energy and EPA-rated consumption. It does not account for your personal driving patterns or external conditions. The displayed range on the touchscreen may decrease faster than the actual distance driven. To view estimated range based on your recent energy consumption, open the Energy app to display the graph.

Again - from the OM -

Thank you for that helpful post. Unlike @Clark_Kent who just just assumes people are spreading misinformation when something they state is incorrect.

Thank you for that helpful post. Unlike @Clark_Kent who just just assumes people are spreading misinformation when something they state is incorrect.
Just to be clear, there are two estimated ranges and people couple benposting about either:

1. EPA-based estimate that appears next to the main screen battery icon and in the mobile app.

2. “Energy” screen estimate based on the recent Wh/mile consumption over the past 5/15/30 miles.

#1 doesn’t care about driving habits or weather whereas #2 sure does.

Suggestion: always clarify which “estimated range” you’re referring to when posting.

Reactions: N1L CO2
While the battery status/estimated range display may not reflect your driving history starting with software version 2021.40.6 Tesla states that "Your vehicle's range estimation has been modified to better represent real-world conditions."

MYP 2020, 234 miles range 90%, Maybe 261 at 100%. Tesla said its normal, they ran a remote diagnostic no issues. Go pound sand. Their range is bs. Count on 200 miles and 150 in winter cold. This is why EVs have such a long way to go before they can be accepted. They all bs the range. I wonder if F150 is doing same thing
Same here. 2020 MYP with 234mi at 90%. Tesla ran a diagnostic and was told it’s within tolerance. Not over 10% according to the diagnostic. I was assured the battery degradation is not linear. Sadly the MYP only has 6,000mi.

Reactions: Riguy
Just to be clear, there are two estimated ranges and people couple benposting about either:

1. EPA-based estimate that appears next to the main screen battery icon and in the mobile app.

2. “Energy” screen estimate based on the recent Wh/mile consumption over the past 5/15/30 miles.

#1 doesn’t care about driving habits or weather whereas #2 sure does.

Suggestion: always clarify which “estimated range” you’re referring to when posting.
I have always wondered why Tesla doesn't display the Energy Screen's estimate next to the BATTERY ICON? I have never understood the value of displaying the EPA range data point. It causes so much confusion.

Reactions: DanDi58
When planning a road trip, do the supercharging stops give enough wiggle room for these decreases in range as you drive?

For example, my first road trip, I was projected to reach my destination at 11% charge. I decided to stop midway to recharge because that seemed too low for comfort. Had I not stopped, would I have run out of juice? And when would it have told me to charge? Would it add a stop automatically?

When planning a road trip, do the supercharging stops give enough wiggle room for these decreases in range as you drive?

For example, my first road trip, I was projected to reach my destination at 11% charge. I decided to stop midway to recharge because that seemed too low for comfort. Had I not stopped, would I have run out of juice? And when would it have told me to charge? Would it add a stop automatically?
I've found the Tesla navigation to be pretty accurate in terms of arrival SOC. But I always plot out trips on ABRP, as you can adjust the parameters a bit more than the car's navi. That way, I know my options on the route 'just in case'.

If you get to a scenario where you won't have enough charge to make your destination, the car will warn you that you need to reduce speed to get there or stop and charge.

Reactions: torifile
I've found the Tesla navigation to be pretty accurate in terms of arrival SOC. But I always plot out trips on ABRP, as you can adjust the parameters a bit more than the car's navi. That way, I know my options on the route 'just in case'.

If you get to a scenario where you won't have enough charge to make your destination, the car will warn you that you need to reduce speed to get there or stop and charge.
How much warning will I get? Range anxiety is still real for me since I haven’t taken many long trips yet.

How much warning will I get? Range anxiety is still real for me since I haven’t taken many long trips yet.
Well, I imagine you'll get warned as soon as the car determines you can't get where you're going without adjusting your speed or charging. And of course, this is all while you're navigating to a destination. If you're just driving around, you'll get a warning when the battery hits 20% (I believe) - the icon will turn yellow. Then it will turn red at (I believe) 10%. You'll also get those, obviously, when you're navigating. I suspect there is info about this in the Owner's Manual so you should check there as well.

While the battery status/estimated range display may not reflect your driving history starting with software version 2021.40.6 Tesla states that "Your vehicle's range estimation has been modified to better represent real-world conditions."
That sounds right! I charge @ home to about 80%, and suddenly after the update the range shows about 260 instead of 280. I haven't taken any trips since then, but I assume (and hope) that the navigation still calculates correctly.