Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y on model 3 performance springs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do not do this, you will cause serious damage or injury. The suspensions are very similar but made to different lengths heights and weight requirements.

That said, lowering springs are bad news in the context of a HV battery. If you want the lowered look look at a proper set of coilovers.

I would not expect that 3 & Y springs are different … but in the smallest measurements… spring rates or # of coils or things we cannot visibly see.

On the battery closer to the ground front - all of my cars are lowered… EVs and ICEs… all of my battery packs and oil pans have less clearance. It’s the game you play.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
One of the reasons the MYP has a reputation for a rough ride is that it has the exact same shocks as the MYLR (same valving and shock length) paired with shorter springs than the MYLR resulting in it hitting the bump stops early and often. The car can only get so low before you are riding on the bump stops, and I suspect that with the M3P springs you would be riding on the bump stops all the time, much worse for this than the MYP springs... eventually the bump stops get worn out / destroyed if you are hitting them constantly and then the shock absorber itself gets destroyed and you are running metal to metal every time you go over a bump... not a good plan.

I am sure there are plenty of MYP springs out there if you want to go a bit lower... but they are available for a reason... in the near future I will be swapping in a set of high quality coil overs and then mine will be available :)

Keith

I would not expect that 3 & Y springs are different … but in the smallest measurements… spring rates or # of coils or things we cannot visibly see.

On the battery closer to the ground front - all of my cars are lowered… EVs and ICEs… all of my battery packs and oil pans have less clearance. It’s the game you play.

I would be shocked (nudge, nudge) if the springs on the MYP and M3P were even close to the same specifications.

As far as the battery / oil pan being closer to the ground, that is fine if you have shocks with the proper valving paired with the new springs... if not you still wont be hitting anything on the pavement unless something is sticking up (road debris, speed bump etc)... you will just be hitting the bump stops a lot more often.

Yep - bump stops are there for a reason, but all of my vehicles are 1” dropped from stock. So not on the ground - and stock shocks work… not awesomely… but they work. Ride quality is didn’t change from stock. If I could afford (need wife’s approval) the $3-4K for actual coilovers… I’d do it in a heartbeat! Sport springs/drop springs are always a compromise, especially w stock dampers.

Do not do this, you will cause serious damage or injury. The suspensions are very similar but made to different lengths heights and weight requirements.

That said, lowering springs are bad news in the context of a HV battery. If you want the lowered look look at a proper set of coilovers.
Yep - bump stops are there for a reason, but all of my vehicles are 1” dropped from stock. So not on the ground - and stock shocks work… not awesomely… but they work. Ride quality is didn’t change from stock. If I could afford (need wife’s approval) the $3-4K for actual coilovers… I’d do it in a heartbeat! Sport springs/drop springs are always a compromise, especially w stock dampers.
This is kinda where I was going. Recycle the M3P springs into the Y, achieve a slightly lower stance in my wife’s Y. The 3 is going to bags.

From the lack of continuation of the other posters, I’d guess they either didn’t go through with it or found the result less than stellar.

Depending on the weight difference between the MY and M3, and if you’re judging the expected change based on the M3’s visual height… you might not get what you want.

Take for example the Honda Fit and Honda HR-V. They are both subcompacts with one hatchback and other SUV based on the same platform. I still have my Fit, but traded the HR-V for a MYP. Anyway, many folks on the forums found out they can interchanged because of the platform… but the results were definitely not what they wanted.

Putting the HR-V’s springs into a Fit resulted in a rock hard ride, while putting the Fit’s springs in an HR-V had it smashing the bump stops all the time, far more than they expected it would.

Of course that was because the springs were chosen by Honda to take into account multiple things, including weight of vehicle. More weight needs stiffer springs.

That said, the weight difference between the two is pretty significant. But I haven’t compared the M3 vs MY… so the effect might not be that bad, or maybe it is?

1685538538749.png

so the difference is 174lbs over the M3. that's about a weight of a person. i know my 23 MY is on stiffer shocks, people complain about it , i actually enjoy it. I'm so use to riding in lowered cars. I'm also on Airrunner's on my lexus ( garage queen )