Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y or BMW X5 45e

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Looking for a new car for the wife. I drive an X myself and have a Y on order for her. However, there are some really solid deals on the X5 45e which after tax credits and rebates puts it very close to the Y on cost - and this is a well optioned config.

Only 30 Miles on a charge, but the gas engine if you need it. Obviously great build quality. I love Tesla and all they do, but have never owned a BMW so wanted to get people's thoughts.

Cheers!

I'm a big fan of the BMW plug in hybrids. In fact, I got one to replace a P85D. I also just sold it, after owning it for about 2 years (not quite sure if I remember when we got it...we sold the P85D, which was one of the first delivered at the end of 2014, when the warranty expired in December 2018, so two years sounds right).

In those two years, we had zero issues and found the car to be an excellent mix of comfort, luxury and economical driving. We mostly used it for long distance travel between the Bay Area and Montana, where we now live. I know this is not the normal scenario, but I tend to drive really long distances in a single day (1000 miles or more) and the BMW was just perfect for that. 50 MPG in the city, 35 mpg at very high freeway speeds and first class comfort and driving dynamics.

The electric only range was minimal, but the combination of a small turbo'd gas engine with the electric system made it a joy in all circumstances. Plenty of punch, though nowhere near a P85D's (though the BMW cruised at 120+++ mph for long distances, something the P85D was not capable of for more than a few minutes at most) and really nice tech, from the HUD to a great stereo that could be controlled by hand gestures.

We got rid of it because we thought we were taking a relatively brief trip to Montana in May and ended up staying when CA was shut down, the riots were raging, etc. A BMW 530e is a great car for long distance travel, but it sorta sucks at daily driving in snow and ice. We're going to replace it with an Audi A6 Allroad (and will sell the Subaru Outback we have in Montana, as we don't need a pickup and two all wheel drive wagons).

• Informative
Reactions: VikH
As part of your decision process ask the BMW dealer whether or not they have someone certified to work on the X5 45e. I had a BMW i3 for a while and some warranty services took almost a month because they either didn't have the parts, didn't have the tools or didn't have a technician. In one case they flew someone in from NJ to fix it when I mentioned Lemon Law. Wait, this almost sounds like Tesla.

Seriously? Why do you think they are deeply discounting the BMW?

Can you tell me where I can get one deeply discounted? I have been looking and most dealers have at best 1 or 2 45E’s in stock and don’t part with them for more than a few bucks below sticker. You do however get the full 7500 federal tax credit and whatever state incentives might be available.

Thanks all! The range is actually only rated around 30 miles in the US. And yes no fast charging is a downer - the battery is actually very inefficient for only delivering 30 miles in a 24kWh pack. Regarding gas mileage - yea for the longer road trips, the battery is not super useful and gas mileage is on par with the x40i version.

My heart says Tesla. The practical side of me also leans Tesla. We have solar and charging is free so hard to beat.

I'm hesitant to PURCHASE the X5 as well given resale and the likelihood of an all electric in the next few years. But am also done leasing cars!

The battery is actually software restricted to 17 KW’s.

I'm a big fan of the BMW plug in hybrids. In fact, I got one to replace a P85D. I also just sold it, after owning it for about 2 years (not quite sure if I remember when we got it...we sold the P85D, which was one of the first delivered at the end of 2014, when the warranty expired in December 2018, so two years sounds right).

In those two years, we had zero issues and found the car to be an excellent mix of comfort, luxury and economical driving. We mostly used it for long distance travel between the Bay Area and Montana, where we now live. I know this is not the normal scenario, but I tend to drive really long distances in a single day (1000 miles or more) and the BMW was just perfect for that. 50 MPG in the city, 35 mpg at very high freeway speeds and first class comfort and driving dynamics.

The electric only range was minimal, but the combination of a small turbo'd gas engine with the electric system made it a joy in all circumstances. Plenty of punch, though nowhere near a P85D's (though the BMW cruised at 120+++ mph for long distances, something the P85D was not capable of for more than a few minutes at most) and really nice tech, from the HUD to a great stereo that could be controlled by hand gestures.

We got rid of it because we thought we were taking a relatively brief trip to Montana in May and ended up staying when CA was shut down, the riots were raging, etc. A BMW 530e is a great car for long distance travel, but it sorta sucks at daily driving in snow and ice. We're going to replace it with an Audi A6 Allroad (and will sell the Subaru Outback we have in Montana, as we don't need a pickup and two all wheel drive wagons).

Where on earth are you cruising at 120mph for long periods???

Had a BMW for many years but the maintenance/repair costs were excessive and I moved on. Friend of mine had the same experience.
We only have our cars under warranty and have never spent a dime on anything on the BMW’s except for one oil change in the 4th year because they now only cover 3 of maintenance but the warranty is still 4 years. I just traded my 2022 Performance Model Y on a 2023 X5 45E and the X5 is great. The BMW beats its highway mpg range by a significant margin, (gets about the same as the gas version) and the build quality is far better than my 2022 Model Y.

Reactions: bobbyjae
We only have our cars under warranty and have never spent a dime on anything on the BMW’s except for one oil change in the 4th year because they now only cover 3 of maintenance but the warranty is still 4 years. I just traded my 2022 Performance Model Y on a 2023 X5 45E and the X5 is great. The BMW beats its highway mpg range by a significant margin, (gets about the same as the gas version) and the build quality is far better than my 2022 Model Y.
I'm going a slightly different direction now looking at an X5M but it seems from many folks who have owned BMWs that the build quality is much better. We were going to move from MYP to MX Plaid but the meticulous side of me is pushing me to BMW. Definitely egregious gas mileage on the X5M but that's the only con i see!