Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y or BMW X5 45e

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am back to the X5...The car is 77k MSRP with a sale price of 66.5k after rebates. REALLY REALLY tempted as with the $7500 tax credit on top that is incredible...help!

@sarugby4life ,
Don't chase the deal!

Drive both Telsa Y and BMW X5 back to back on e same day.
IMHO, any hybrid vehicle is the WORST of both worlds...

More expensive,
same maintenance schedule as ICE vehicle,
massive depreciation,
in 3 years time, EVs will rule the roost!

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic and 907XCP
@sarugby4life ,
Don't chase the deal!

Drive both Telsa Y and BMW X5 back to back on e same day.
IMHO, any hybrid vehicle is the WORST of both worlds...

More expensive,
same maintenance schedule as ICE vehicle,
massive depreciation,
in 3 years time, EVs will rule the roost!

VERY good point. And yes as much as I like negotiating, this is all well said. I know BMW has free maintenance for the first 3 years. Also as I said before the negotiated price plus incentives and credits pretty much offsets a lot of that depreciation.

It's a very high quality luxurious car for a similar price.

I am going to go nuts trying to decide.

Went to the local BMW dealership to look at the X5 45e and unfortunately, all of their 45e's were on stop hold from BMW as some of the batteries didn't charge fully to spec. With that, I still test drove a 40i, it was massive and is IMO more luxurious than the Y, given there is a $20-25k price difference.

I also vowed not to lease again but I think if I can lease a $70k car for $500-600 after all credits and rebates, I might take it.

Went to the local BMW dealership to look at the X5 45e and unfortunately, all of their 45e's were on stop hold from BMW as some of the batteries didn't charge fully to spec. With that, I still test drove a 40i, it was massive and is IMO more luxurious than the Y, given there is a $20-25k price difference.

I also vowed not to lease again but I think if I can lease a $70k car for $500-600 after all credits and rebates, I might take it.

Yep they are all on stop sale and need SW updates. This particular car was a newer arrival and apparently is not affected. With that said, I was quoted a lease of $860 plus tax on the car using base MF and 55% residual. You lose some of the rebates and I have an email out to see if this includes the tax credits. On a lease these usually get tied into the payment as the dealer gets the tax credits since they own the car.

I think $500-$600 is not going to happen. I also ran the numbers and at 55% residual - by buying the car it costs around $560/mo assuming you sell at 3 years for 55%. Lots of places like Vroom and Carvana often pay higher than RV. The $560/mo I calculated is for a $77k MSRP. that’s pretty good.

I do not like that the fast charging is not supported nor the dismal gas mileage for longer trips.

Yep they are all on stop sale and need SW updates. This particular car was a newer arrival and apparently is not affected. With that said, I was quoted a lease of $860 plus tax on the car using base MF and 55% residual. You lose some of the rebates and I have an email out to see if this includes the tax credits. On a lease these usually get tied into the payment as the dealer gets the tax credits since they own the car.

I think $500-$600 is not going to happen. I also ran the numbers and at 55% residual - by buying the car it costs around $560/mo assuming you sell at 3 years for 55%. Lots of places like Vroom and Carvana often pay higher than RV. The $560/mo I calculated is for a $77k MSRP. that’s pretty good.

I do not like that the fast charging is not supported nor the dismal gas mileage for longer trips.
I started with BMW X5 45e
Stop order was a bummer
Slow charging was a downer
Lease was over $900 per month
Range was tiny
I also feared that bmw is new in phev so it will have growing pains

I also feared MY reliability issues. thought bmw build quality will be better.

Eventually I rolled the dice and got a Red MY, 19 inch wheels, FSD, tow hitch. Initial quality was good. In my 2nd week now and have no regrets fo choosing MY over BMW X5 45e

you should read bimmerpist forum. Also checkout review by Harry’s Garage in YouTube.

Hi all,

Looking for a new car for the wife. I drive an X myself and have a Y on order for her. However, there are some really solid deals on the X5 45e which after tax credits and rebates puts it very close to the Y on cost - and this is a well optioned config.

Only 30 Miles on a charge, but the gas engine if you need it. Obviously great build quality. I love Tesla and all they do, but have never owned a BMW so wanted to get people's thoughts.

Cheers!
Seriously? Why do you think they are deeply discounting the BMW?

I started with BMW X5 45e
Stop order was a bummer
Slow charging was a downer
Lease was over $900 per month
Range was tiny
I also feared that bmw is new in phev so it will have growing pains

I also feared MY reliability issues. thought bmw build quality will be better.

Eventually I rolled the dice and got a Red MY, 19 inch wheels, FSD, tow hitch. Initial quality was good. In my 2nd week now and have no regrets fo choosing MY over BMW X5 45e

you should read bimmerpist forum. Also checkout review by Harry’s Garage in YouTube.

Thanks. I’m leaning towards the Y still - my only real reservation is having solely electric vehicles. But that is where Tesla has the best super charging network around.

And yep the Harry’s Garage review was quite good. Interesting that you pointed to that review since he is much more pro PHEV vs EV.

Thanks. I’m leaning towards the Y still - my only real reservation is having solely electric vehicles.
But that is where Tesla has the best super charging network around.

And yep the Harry’s Garage review was quite good. Interesting that you pointed to that review since he is much more pro PHEV vs EV.

@sarugby4life,
I don't understand your concern for owning solely EV's
Perhaps you should consider adding the "Fred Flintstone" option

• Disagree
Reactions: LionelHutz
I just came off a 2018 X5 40e lease and picked up a MY on Wednesday as a purchase. IMO, the MY is so much better than the Bimmer. It's a better driving experience and has superior acceleration. I checked my trip data on the app after each trip for the eMPG and highway trips yielded about 27-28 MPG, so there was little to no gas cost savings. The battery drained in stop and go traffic and I used the ICE for the remainder of the trip. Charging options are much more limited on the road than for Tesla's. I had to plug the car in every day, whereas MY requires 1 or 2 charges per week. In the winter, the 14 electric miles was actually around 7-8 miles. Although the 45e is rated for 30 electric miles, you will never get the 30 miles. When the battery percentage got down to 9%, the ICE kicks in. The 3 years free maintenance is nice but BMW no longer includes brakes and wiper blades. My wife's 2016 X3 is 5 years old and maintenance is expensive. I'm planning on trading it in for another MY after they are produced with the new batteries that was announced on Battery Day. Based on my experience driving both cars, I would strongly recommend the MY over the X5 45e. I hope this helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: VikH and ICUDoc
I just came off a 2018 X5 40e lease and picked up a MY on Wednesday as a purchase. IMO, the MY is so much better than the Bimmer. It's a better driving experience and has superior acceleration. I checked my trip data on the app after each trip for the eMPG and highway trips yielded about 27-28 MPG, so there was little to no gas cost savings. The battery drained in stop and go traffic and I used the ICE for the remainder of the trip. Charging options are much more limited on the road than for Tesla's. I had to plug the car in every day, whereas MY requires 1 or 2 charges per week. In the winter, the 14 electric miles was actually around 7-8 miles. Although the 45e is rated for 30 electric miles, you will never get the 30 miles. When the battery percentage got down to 9%, the ICE kicks in. The 3 years free maintenance is nice but BMW no longer includes brakes and wiper blades. My wife's 2016 X3 is 5 years old and maintenance is expensive. I'm planning on trading it in for another MY after they are produced with the new batteries that was announced on Battery Day. Based on my experience driving both cars, I would strongly recommend the MY over the X5 45e. I hope this helps.

THANK YOU!!! Seriously, thank you! It’s not an apples to apples comparison so there is obviously little direct comparison data online. Your timing is impeccable as I just emailed the SA at BMW earlier this evening and informed her that I was not moving forward. My wife and I had a long chat last night and the MY is just too good to pass up. I have been incredibly happy with the X and I think from an investment and resale perspective Tesla will come out ahead.

Looking for a daily driver no-hassle family truckster type car, we went through the same calculations looking at the Cayenne and X5 PHEV's and some other options before just saying screw it let's just get an EV. Even if you are 90% EV mode on the PHEV's, the car still needs more maintenance. I do my own maintenance on our cars, so, it was an easy choice. The only PHEV SUV that seems like a compelling package to me is the Rav4 Prime. Actually usable EV range, and Toyota has learned to make those hybrid powertrains just about bulletproof. I've owned enough German cars (and can get away with this because, again, I do all my own maintenance and repairs) to know better than to expect them to be able to get an already Rube Goldbergian car to work right all the time. The used prices on the PHEV Germans are attractive, but they're attractive for a reason.

That said, interior design isn't the highlight of the Y/3. I understand why they've done what they've done in 3/Y's interior, I like it, I like the minimalism, I like the functionality, the lack of distraction despite a huge touchscreen because there are fewer places to focus your attentino, and the touchscreen works well, the door buttons are right where they should be to just use without thinking, the seats are very comfortable. But it's not on the same level poshness-wise as the X5 or Cayenne, particularly for back seat passengers. If that stuff matters to you, might be worth waiting for the EV Macan or EV BMW iNext. Or get a Model X, which IMO is right on the same level of interior fancy-pantsedness, though I would struggle to say that it's a safe bet it will be more reliable than the BMW with those stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid doors (I have an X on order, I can say that lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: seniorcitizen
Looking for a daily driver no-hassle car, we went through the same calculations looking at the Cayenne and X5 PHEV's and some other options before just saying screw it let's just get an EV. Even if you are 90% EV mode on the PHEV's, the car still needs more maintenance. I do my own maintenance on our cars, so, it was an easy choice. The only PHEV SUV that seems like a compelling package to me is the Rav4 Prime. Actually usable EV range, and Toyota has learned to make those hybrid powertrains just about bulletproof. I've owned enough German cars (and can get away with this because, again, I do all my own maintenance and repairs) to know better than to expect them to be able to get an already Rube Goldbergian car to work right all the time.
We went through similar thought process. Eventually ended up buying MY.
PHEV sounds like a good idea but it has worst of both worlds. High maintenance cost of ICE and low range.
Either get X5 or MY but don't waste money on X5 45e.

Looking for a daily driver no-hassle family truckster type car, we went through the same calculations looking at the Cayenne and X5 PHEV's and some other options before just saying screw it let's just get an EV. Even if you are 90% EV mode on the PHEV's, the car still needs more maintenance. I do my own maintenance on our cars, so, it was an easy choice. The only PHEV SUV that seems like a compelling package to me is the Rav4 Prime. Actually usable EV range, and Toyota has learned to make those hybrid powertrains just about bulletproof. I've owned enough German cars (and can get away with this because, again, I do all my own maintenance and repairs) to know better than to expect them to be able to get an already Rube Goldbergian car to work right all the time. The used prices on the PHEV Germans are attractive, but they're attractive for a reason.

That said, interior design isn't the highlight of the Y/3. I understand why they've done what they've done in 3/Y's interior, I like it, I like the minimalism, I like the functionality, the lack of distraction despite a huge touchscreen because there are fewer places to focus your attentino, and the touchscreen works well, the door buttons are right where they should be to just use without thinking, the seats are very comfortable. But it's not on the same level poshness-wise as the X5 or Cayenne, particularly for back seat passengers. If that stuff matters to you, might be worth waiting for the EV Macan or EV BMW iNext. Or get a Model X, which IMO is right on the same level of interior fancy-pantsedness, though I would struggle to say that it's a safe bet it will be more reliable than the BMW with those stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid doors (I have an X on order, I can say that lol)

These are all great points. And as I said earlier we have an MX already and love the car. I’m thinking an LR Y with the acceleration boost is the sweet spot for a second car.

At this stage we are probably going to get another EV!

I also came off a X5 40e lease and into a MYP. The electric only aspect of the X5 40e was what sold me on full electric, and currently that really means (objective but for me at least) a Tesla.

I did really like the Beemer, last in a list of 7 vehicles for me so did not take it lightly.
I have not looked back at all, now just over 5 months in. Driving the Tesla vs really any ICE is like moving from a Nokia flip phone to the iPhone.
The noted caveats are true, interior is as good quality (but I think most people initially confuse the spartan zen styling for lower quality) but for me its close enough and no regrets. For comparison I also owned a 2017 650ix which was top of line in interior.

Had BMW had the 45e out earlier, I certainly would have given it a close look, especially as this will likely lease very attractively (I would not want a BMW out of warranty), but again for me and I think most, there is no comparison unless you need the larger size of the X5. This said, on a recent camping trip with large dog, we actually had more space with the MYP than we did with the X5 40e due to the additional frunk and under trunk storage so the extra size only meaningfully translates into passenger space for the most part.

Lastly and this tends to get overlooked IMO, by buying a Tesla you are not only now driving a machine that is not pumping poison into our air, but contributing to the conversion to electric and far more so than any other company. Tesla's mission is to drive this conversion, not compensate share holders and C suite.

I also came off a X5 40e lease and into a MYP. The electric only aspect of the X5 40e was what sold me on full electric, and currently that really means (objective but for me at least) a Tesla.

I did really like the Beemer, last in a list of 7 vehicles for me so did not take it lightly.
I have not looked back at all, now just over 5 months in. Driving the Tesla vs really any ICE is like moving from a Nokia flip phone to the iPhone.
The noted caveats are true, interior is *not* as good quality (but I think most people initially confuse the spartan zen styling for lower quality) but for me its close enough and no regrets. For comparison I also owned a 2017 650ix which was top of line in interior.

Had BMW had the 45e out earlier, I certainly would have given it a close look, especially as this will likely lease very attractively (I would not want a BMW out of warranty), but again for me and I think most, there is no comparison unless you need the larger size of the X5. This said, on a recent camping trip with large dog, we actually had more space with the MYP than we did with the X5 40e due to the additional frunk and under trunk storage so the extra size only meaningfully translates into passenger space for the most part.

Lastly and this tends to get overlooked IMO, by buying a Tesla you are not only now driving a machine that is not pumping poison into our air, but contributing to the conversion to electric and far more so than any other company. Tesla's mission is to drive this conversion, not compensate share holders and C suite.

*Correcting myself above as I meant to say the Tesla interior quality is not as good as likely most BMWs (as well as other brands), but for me is very close once you account for the spartan styling.

I really like the Y/3 forward view. Somehow the design plus the front end just dropping away out of view makes the A-pillar feel 50% thinner than another similar car, despite it being just as thick as any other car of its size. My preferred driving position is also pretty close to the dash for whatever reason, maybe because the wheel isn’t set out quite as far on an instrument binnacle, maybe because I can put the wheel where I want without worrying about being able to see gauges. Big fan.

Reactions: pkitch
How much was your X5? Comparable to the AWD Y?
My X5 is a fully loaded Xdrive Msport, it stickered in the upper $70’s. I can’t remember how much it was discounted but it was still more expensive than a Performance Y but it’s also quite a bit bigger car. If you want an EV for a SUV the Y is a no brainer as long as you don’t tow a trailer. The regular X5 (non-hybrid) is fantastic if you want a gas SUV. It returns great gas mileage (Not trailering) and will tow a heavy trailer like it isn’t even back there. When pulling a heavy trailer the X5 can really suck gas but a Tesla is a true power hog when pulling a trailer too. The big difference when pulling a trailer is that you have far more range in the X5 and can fill up quickly with cheap gas. If you are just pulling a tiny trailer around town a Tesla will work but only people who have too much time on their hands will tow with a Tesla on the highway.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa