Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y (or CT) with solidstate batteries?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder, when are we meant to see the new battery tech in vehicles, please? The 4680 batteries?
Also, is it going to Model Y first or is it CT?

I'm just holding off my purchase as I would like to wait for that but wondered what is actually the reality as I'm not fully up to date.

Anyone has any info regarding the new battery tech, please?

I wonder, when are we meant to see the new battery tech in vehicles, please? The 4680 batteries?
Also, is it going to Model Y first or is it CT?

I'm just holding off my purchase as I would like to wait for that but wondered what is actually the reality as I'm not fully up to date.

Anyone has any info regarding the new battery tech, please?

The battery tech involved with the 4680 cells does not involve solid state battery chemistries. Instead, the 4680 involves a 'tab-less' design, which greatly reduces the distance that electrons have to travel through each battery cell. This increases efficiency, reduces the heat that's generated during high loads, allows for faster charge rates, and more. The 4680 will also involve a structural battery design to increase energy density even more.

It appears that the MY will be getting the 4680 before the CT from what I gather, but this may only involve the MY's that are produced in the new Berlin factory initially.

What I do know is that Tesla now has the 4680 in production in Fremont and they are no longer being produced using a 'pilot line' as the kinks have been worked out.

What I do know is that Tesla now has the 4680 in production in Fremont and they are no longer being produced using a 'pilot line' as the kinks have been worked out.

Oh, this is very interesting, I was not aware they're past pilot phase.

Giga Berlin is moving slowly ahead, one day you here another problem, then next day you hear there is no problem, and so on. Last news is initial production will start in 3 months…

I was under the impression that the new battery tech from battery day is solid state as they simplified the process completely and don't have the liquid annode (correct?) and its now solid so no more explosive batteries etc.
So 4680 is not that? So realistically, when do you think we can see it in customers cars? End of this year? End of next year?

Oh, this is very interesting, I was not aware they're past pilot phase.

Giga Berlin is moving slowly ahead, one day you here another problem, then next day you hear there is no problem, and so on. Last news is initial production will start in 3 months…

I have a relative that works in the prototype battery production area at the Fremont factory, so I learned of this about a month ago.

• Informative
Reactions: house9 and iustin
I was under the impression that the new battery tech from battery day is solid state as they simplified the process completely and don't have the liquid annode (correct?) and its now solid so no more explosive batteries etc.
So 4680 is not that? So realistically, when do you think we can see it in customers cars? End of this year? End of next year?

The 4680 uses dry cell battery tech, which is different than a solid state battery. You're correct that the 4680 doesn't use a traditional electrolyte, so no liquid acids or gels. Instead, it uses pressure to compact a powder material into a film.

Next year is looking much more likely than it did a few months ago.

Reactions: iustin
1621033690330.png

Oh, I see. Ok, I was right to think that but I just was using wrong name. I thought that the powdered film is actually solid state battery.
Ok, sorry about that.
Thank you for clarifying. I think I can wait as it will be my first car (ever) so I just want to get it 'right' :)

The 4680 uses dry cell battery tech, which is different than a solid state battery. You're correct that the 4680 doesn't use a traditional electrolyte, so no liquid acids or gels. Instead, it uses pressure to compact a powder material into a film.

Next year is looking much more likely than it did a few months ago.

Thank you, I'll have a look ;-)

Here is the thread that discusses your question: