Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y or Model 3, Which one is better for camping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla people,
Recently, I want to change my Mazde CX-3 to Tesla!!! . I'm considering of between Tesla Model 3 and Model Y. Personally, I like camping a lot. I've watched some Youtube videos and they say that sleeping in the Model 3 is not as comfortable as sleeping in Model Y. The main reason is that the "bed" is not flat when you fold down the backseat in M3.
And I really can't tell which one is right just by watching the video. So, can anyone help me solve the puzzle?

Have a nice day guys.

Either with a Maggiolina. ;-) Does not exceed weight for the roof rack kit for dynamic or static weight with the Maggi Small. I have the Grand Tour edition.

Attachments

• IMG_1106.JPG
    IMG_1106.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 655
  • IMG_1107.JPG
    IMG_1107.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,139
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC
I'd say Model Y (Model 3 owner here). You didn't say if you were planning on sleeping in or out of the car, but in either case I think the Y is preferable due to additional cargo space and the lack of a divider between the trunk and rear seats + the Y has a MUCH larger opening at the back. I've found that having that divider and the smaller trunk opening can be very limiting when loading and unloading large items (such as a cooler).

Instead of "camping" in a car, why not buy a small tent and some good hiking shoes. Park the car (any car) near a trailhead, take a hike away from the roads (far enough away not to hear any engines) pitch that tent and do some real camping.
Or do both. I backpack in and do remote camping but also do lots of short weekend camping trips where I stay in the car. The convenience of loading up the mattress makes it easier to leave on a relatively spontaneous trip and know you'll have a place to sleep without too much planning. I really don't like when people act like they know what "real" camping is...

If your budget was for a Model 3 SR+, the booster of the rear seat has been changed after one year of production for added comfort.
So the back of the rear seat doesn't fold flat any longer, however it is easy to remove the booster seat and to put it vertically behind the two front sets.
This in fact is very practical because it extends the whole flat area otherwise you might need to put some luggage or cardboard to hold your pillows.
Another point is the little shelf under the rear window is nice to hold some objects for easy access or to put your laptop to watch a movie.
If you have the budget or the need for a LR AWD, I would recommend the Model Y for added practicality.

Sleeping inside the car advantage, versus a tent, is to be able to use the Air Conditioned or a Heater, and also having some lighting.
I would recommend jumping in your tent or your car around sunset to avoid the invasion of mosquitoes around that time, especially when you are in the wilderness.
Depending on how long you plan camping, I would recommend having a small tent igloo to cook and eat and sleep in your car to have a nice rest to enjoy another day of hacking.