Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y or Mustang Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All this hype of solid build car as if the Tesla is not solid built? or the I pace or any other electric car?
Elon did congratulate Ford. It's a nice looking car but could they not integrate the screens in that dash better?
The body style reminds me of the I pace.
I'm still holding out for the Model Y though.

Last edited:
All this hype of solid build car as if the Tesla is not solid built? or the I pace or any other electric car?
Elon did congratulate Ford. It's a nice looking car but could they not integrate the screens in that dash better?
Reminds me of the I pace.
I'm still holding out for the Model Y though.

Screen integration into the dash is a stupid idea. It’s a high point-of-failure part. Do you think it’s a good idea to have to tear the entire dash apart to replace it?

If you owned a model S or X you know once the dash has been mucked with, it’s never the same again.

Tesla learned that lesson and changed the design with the model 3 and Y

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
We already chose Tesla.

What part of the USA do you live in? Do you plan on taking road trips in your EV? Tesla's Supercharger network allows you to drive nearly anyplace in the continental United States. Electrify America's fast DC charging network (which Ford teamed up with) still has a ways to go to cover the continental US. It also costs more and isn't directly integrated into the car's navigation.

+1

This will differentiate Tesla from the others for the foreseeable future and I believe Ford is making a mistake by relying upon 3rd party vendors. I may be proven wrong but I just don’t see how the interests of networks such as EA will align with the interests of manufacturers like Ford.

I will also throw in the other major variable: the dealer network. Dealers now rely upon vehicle maintenance for a majority of their profit so they can’t be real happy about low-maintenance EV’s becoming mainstream. I would expect a lot of dealerships will try to push their ICE’s instead.

I priced the E premium AWD extended range.(default color) It came out with $58000

For Y: AWD extended Range +FSD+7 seat : $61000 ($62000 now), $58000 for 5 seats

Wish Tesla would lower the price of Y a bit to offset the tax advantage of E.
The cost of FSD on the Model Y is $7000, right? Don't buy FSD, which the Mach E doesn't offer, and you're approximately at price parity with the Mach E after $7500 credit.

Personally, I think the Mach E is a nice looking vehicle, and I hope Ford sells as many as they can.

However, in terms of available functionality and value for the money, the Model Y is the clear winner.

Recently tried to buy a Kia Telluride, had 10K in markup in the quote, obviously walked away but people get pulled in...

Dealerships are all the same. If this is low volume, they will do what they do best. Don't forget the $200 floor mats.

Reactions: gavine
LOL: I’ve been in every single Tesla built to date and know it’s not much of a challenge for an established manufacturer.

C'mon, you run a very high percentage of anti-Tesla posts....in any event, the build quality of Tesla's Model 3 is quite high and Model S/X (which I own two of, 3k & 103K Vin) are significantly improved vs. early models (ie a P85 as example).

Reactions: preilly44
One thing to consider is how much of the battery will be software locked to prevent battery bricking. Audi IMO went overboard. There are people not comfortable with buying a Tesla and the Mach E looks to be the best option for them. Its good to see a solid option to reach the market

lol: you’ve been in both the mustang and model y to “know” that the mustang is a better built car.
As a former Ford Mustang GT owner, I would not say answering which is better built is a simple answer:

CORE CAR:
If the Tesla Model 3 is built to spec (i.e, no bolts and steps skipped to make a quarterly earnings report), then the core of the car will be MUCH better than what Ford or even Porsche will build. I am talking the engine, the integration of the core components such as battery, air circulation, the computers and software integration, etc.. Also, the battery life, efficiency of the car, and battery range are way in Tesla's favor here compared to other mass market manufacturers. The Tesla Model 3/Model Y core will be improved in future years, but the core of the car is already well ahead of any other mass market manufacturer from what I see and will be for a while.

ADVANTAGE: Tesla Model Y. If the Tesla Model Y is built properly, not even close. But, you know what a lot of customers just don't care about how the core actually works, so this won't affect their decision.

INTERNALS:
As for the internals such as the carpet, the internal finishes, I expect Ford to be a bit better here

ADVANTAGE: Ford Mustang Mach E. This depends on personal taste preferences, but I think the internal parts quality will be a bit better with the Ford Mustang Mach E.

SOFTWARE:
Ford will have some fancy and appealing features, but they don't build and own all of the parts and they don't fully write the software themselves. Tesla may take 3 years to fix some things, but they can fix it if they choose to. Ford may never be able to update the software to fully fix a problem and they will never have a comprehensive software solution because they don't own the solution(s). Expect plenty of software glitches. Some of features could be more stable than Tesla's since Tesla is still using us as testers and continually upgrading the software. Tesla's software has way more potential than any Ford Mustang Mach E software solution.

ADVANTAGE: Depends on your needs. Check out the Ford software at launch and see if it works they way you hope it to. Don't expect Ford to exceed your expectations after launch though even if they do try to do software updates. Don't expect too much more than you get in the show models.

SERVICE:
It depends on where you live how good of a service you get from Tesla. Also, Tesla's service is in constant flux due to all of the scenarios they are trying to satisfy. They don't have enough service centers, they have to satisfy Wall Street every quarter and this can sometimes be hard for Tesla and they can cut costs and corners. The Ford dealer service will be a mixed bag too. Some dealerships will be good, some bad.

ADVANTAGE: Luck of the draw. Depends on where you live and the quality of your dealerships/service options, what goes wrong with the car, and luck. I can't say either Tesla or Ford are going to knock your socks off service wise. Tesla is trying here, but only time will tell the story.

SUSPENSION and HANDLING: We will have to wait to try out the Mustang Mach E to compare

ADVANTAGE: Unknown

PRICE: If the tax benefits for EVs don't change in the near future, the the Ford Mustang Mach E will be cheaper.

ADVANTAGE: Ford Mustang Mach E