Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y or Mustang Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if you don't favor Tesla for the Tesla mission, the Tesla really still comes out on top because there is no long range charging network for anything but Tesla. Unless Ford gives it a 2000 mile range, it can't compete because of that limitation. They would need to engage in a massive public travel charging program or buy into Tesla's supercharging technology and network.

I was quite surprised at the Electrify America map. Not as good as Tesla's, but much better than I thought. Actually, it would be quite nice if Tesla would come out with a CCS adapter for us...

Locate a charger | Electrify America

001770-Locate a charger _ Electrify America.png

For me, the factors are range, technology and charging infrastructure.

Range - Tesla has the edge and Ford efficiency hasn't been proven like the Model 3 (upon which the Y is based)

Technology - this is where Tesla has a HUGE lead in my opinion. OTA updates, continuous innovation, battery management to name a few. Ford will have to invest of ton of money and energy to get anywhere near Tesla. That rotary volume knob at the bottom of the screen encapsulates for me where Ford is right now - with one leg stuck back in the legacy auto world. Some will like it, for sure but it represents thinking that doesn't want to let go with the past and EVs should be forward-thinking.

Charging - Electrify America/Canada and others are working hard bring their network of charging solutions and Ford is promising some as well, but Tesla has an established (and growing) solution that is proven, uber-simple and integrated into the car's navigation in a way that will minimize range anxiety like no other current solution out there.

Range - Tesla has the edge and Ford efficiency hasn't been proven like the Model 3 (upon which the Y is based)---except the Ford PR photos are providing evidence that Ford Mach-E will exceed the Model 3 range.

I was quite surprised at the Electrify America map. Not as good as Tesla's, but much better than I thought. Actually, it would be quite nice if Tesla would come out with a CCS adapter for us...

Locate a charger | Electrify America

View attachment 487478
The UP of Michigan and Northern Wisconsin are dead zones for both Tesla and EA or other fast charging locations. From my home in Northern Wisconsin, the closest EA fast charger in a direction I frequently drive is 227 miles. Tesla's is 114 miles in the same direction.

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle
Even with a Day 1 Y reservation, I ordered the Mach-E on announcement day. Specs, charging network, and just giving Ford a shot, were factors. Still, I would be compromising performance and range coming from a S90D. I figured over the next year, I had time to decide which way to go.

I cancelled my Mach-E reservation after the CT specs were announced. Tesla is increasing range efficiency and performance. A 400+ mile range, <4.0 sec, 0-60 CUV is an ideal that won’t be realized with Ford offerings any time soon. We might come close with the Y.

Ford has been sandbagging their electric "ranges" on their vehicles. Discussion elsewhere (not this forum) is indicating the extended range vehicles are capable of close to 360 miles while the standard range ones with rear wheel drive should obtain near 300 miles.

Ford has been sandbagging their electric "ranges" on their vehicles. Discussion elsewhere (not this forum) is indicating the extended range vehicles are capable of close to 360 miles while the standard range ones with rear wheel drive should obtain near 300 miles.

No offense, but I'll believe it when I see the EPA rating. Until that point, everything else is marketing.

In Europe, Model 3 comes with dual connectors. Can use both Superchargers and CCS. Might be coming to USA soon, but there are few places where Electrify America plugs are available, but Superchargers are not. Electrify America also tends to be much more expensive and slower than Superchargers as well.

The only problem is that most of them are at Walmarts. Every time I drive by the one in our town almost every stall is ice'd. Very unfortunate
100 Walmart stores in 39 states will receive EA fast charging stations in clusters of 4 to 10. EA has plans to install fast charging stations at 500 different locations across the USA. Most (all?) of the fast charging stations installed from 2020 area suppose to be 150kWh capable. Walmart stores will get electric vehicle charging stations from VW

Even with a Day 1 Y reservation, I ordered the Mach-E on announcement day. Specs, charging network, and just giving Ford a shot, were factors. Still, I would be compromising performance and range coming from a S90D. I figured over the next year, I had time to decide which way to go.

I cancelled my Mach-E reservation after the CT specs were announced. Tesla is increasing range efficiency and performance. A 400+ mile range, <4.0 sec, 0-60 CUV is an ideal that won’t be realized with Ford offerings any time soon. We might come close with the Y.

I like the idea of a better-handling car, and I assume the Mach-E out-handles most of the Teslas (perhaps not the performance 3--sadly, I could not deal with the seats). But I don't want to be the guinea pig on the Ford and Porsche is too expensive. Hoping the Y meets my needs.

How fast do the Electrify America chargers charge? Competitive with Tesla superchargers?
For the most part, no.

If you look on EA's site, you'll see that at an EA location, one of those stalls might have 350 kW, one might have 125 kW and one might have 75 kW. If someone is using the 350 kW or 125 kW station, then you're stuck at the 75 kW station.

Tesla's new v3 Superchargers would have up to 250 kW at all stalls. Some locations are being upgraded and have a combination of v3 and v2 Superchargers, allowing up to 250 kW or 150 kW, respectively, but they will probably upgrade all stalls at those locations to 250 kW. The vast majority of Tesla Superchargers are currently up to 150 kW. Urban Superchargers also exist and provide up to 72 kW. Also, each stall at a Tesla Supercharger is only counted as one stall whereas EA might list it as two because it has two cables on it.

The most stalls I've seen at at Tesla location was 40. The largest EA location that I've seen had 4 stalls (with 8 cables!)

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
For the most part, no.

If you look on EA's site, you'll see that at an EA location, one of those stalls might have 350 kW, one might have 125 kW and one might have 75 kW. If someone is using the 350 kW or 125 kW station, then you're stuck at the 75 kW station.

Tesla's new v3 Superchargers would have up to 250 kW at all stalls. Some locations are being upgraded and have a combination of v3 and v2 Superchargers, allowing up to 250 kW or 150 kW, respectively, but they will probably upgrade all stalls at those locations to 250 kW. The vast majority of Tesla Superchargers are currently up to 150 kW. Urban Superchargers also exist and provide up to 72 kW. Also, each stall at a Tesla Supercharger is only counted as one stall whereas EA might list it as two because it has two cables on it.

The most stalls I've seen at at Tesla location was 40. The largest EA location that I've seen had 4 stalls (with 8 cables!)

Thanks for the feedback. A large competitive network with slow chargers is not competitive at all. To state the obvious, if I am traveling, a charger that takes 8 hours to charge my car is useless. I would think most people would at least want the option of being able to leave town in their EVs. Currently, I live in a condo without a charging station. There is a Royal Farm near me, but only with a 75 w charger (and, supposedly a maximum of 30 minutes of use). We have 2 chargers at work, but, again, the 75 w variety, and they are usually taken. The only Tesla supercharger is some distance both from home and from work. So, even though I like the idea of owning a Tesla, I am holding off. Too much hassle (also, outside of the performance 3, the seats of which are too uncomfortable for me, I am not happy with the handling of the Teslas--but then I drive a Porsche Cayenne Turbo).