Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y order - my VIN just got stolen [Update: Original car had defects so Tesla wouldn't deliver it]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just because Telsa has issues doesn't mean OP knew that you'd lose your car once you have an assigned VIN.. I don't know OP, and don't really care. I don't see the point of tearing him down in a thread he created either versus just saying a simple "yeah that sucks, but your only choice is to wiat, it's just how Tesla works."
That's not my intention, it was too point out that this is widely known so one should minimize the impact that Tesla's pre-delivery shenanigans can harm you. One should always protect themselves from corporate self interests.

Ask yourself what’s the purpose of your unkind comments serve? It seems to me it is unhelpful at best.
Don’t “disagree” with their posts either, because they’ll search for every other post you’ve made on the forums and thumbs-down those, in an attempt to lower your score. It’s both amazingly petty and fantastically useless.

That's not my intention, it was too point out that this is widely known so one should minimize the impact that Tesla's pre-delivery shenanigans can harm you. One should always protect themselves from corporate self interests.

Until I read this thread, I knew that Tesla has delivery issues... but I didn't know that the assigned VIN was a fantasy vaporware VIN like the delivery date... so I easily could have made the same mistake as the OP. At the time when I ordered my MY I had 3 cars and only use 1 most of the time... so I sold one of them already and decided to keep the "spare" car until I received a VIN. I had a delivery date well within 45 days before I sold the first car, since in Arkansas you have the same tax benefit on a private party sale as you would on a trade in as long as you buy the new car within 45 days of selling the old car. My delivery date has shifted and I may have to take an inventory car to get this tax benefit now... In addition to that, I find out having VIN is meaningless by reading this thread! I will now keep the spare car until I need to move it out of the garage to make space for the MY.

How anyone can see Tesla's delivery incompetence's as corporate self interest amazes me.

Keith

Last edited:
How anyone can see Tesla's delivery incompetence's as corporate self interest amazes me.

Keith
Corporate self interest can mean many things, including inflating sales numbers which can result in phantom VIN's. I can also concede that self interest may not have been the best terminology, but I felt that it worked.

Regardless, this is a horrible situation which is why I keep saying to never sell before you get the new vehicle from Tesla because of their incompetence. I don't see why this is bad advice in any way, shape, or form.

• Funny
Reactions: 63AMG
There’s one condition in which I can see it as such: end of quarter prioritization of FSD sales. A vehicle with FSD has the exact same COG as one without, but a $10k increase in revenue. If it’s already shaping up to be a mediocre quarter, or even just to make sure the earnings report is as good as it can be, I can absolutely with see Tesla pulling a VIN from someone who is paying $55k and giving it to someone who is paying $65k for the exact same physical object.

Tesla Order
(Tysons Corner, VA) near Washington DC

6/5/2021 - Model Y LR ordered. (with FSD)

6/7/2021 - website checking
Estimated Delivery:
August 20 - September 19
No VIN.

6/7~6/10/2021 - Loan got approved and finished everything.

6/11/2021 - website checking
Estimated Delivery:
June 25 - June 30
VIN has been assigned

6/15/2021 -
Received a call from Sales Advisor (from NV)
Telling me I’ll get a text message and I’ll need to respond within 48 hours.

6/22/2021 - website checking
Estimated Delivery:
August 06 - August 26
No VIN - They took it away.

6/22/2021 - Called Sales Advisor (from NV)
Complained how the VIN taken away, and the dates are delayed.

06/23/2021 - Tysons Corner,VA Sales Advisor called me.
Telling me my VIN was taken away because the car didn’t meet the quality expectation.

Reactions: Hexo09 and Darblish
I know the life isn't fair, but I feel my mY just got stolen.
I had my VIN and delivery date (June 25-30/2021)
But I think Tesla gave this to somebody else, and changed mine to August-no VIN.
I already sold my current vehicle to get mY...
What should I do?
You seem to be assuming the worse intentions, but when I had my first VIN cancelled, it was because my first VIN failed inspection and they would have had to do fixes on with an unknown time table (they might even leave it to the demo fleet). Doesn't necessarily mean they "gave it to somebody else". I was able to quickly get a new VIN assigned within a few days (even though I was in no hurry and would have been fine waiting longer).

If you are really in need of a car, you can reach out to your advisor who contacted you about your circumstances and push them to see if they can expedite your case. They may be able to do something, especially if you are a bit flexible in your options (I remember reading people who for example accept a car with different paint color just to get it faster).

Edit: I see your latest post now and it's the same reason, your car failed QC. And when you called your Sales Advisor, hopefully you explained your circumstances (that you sold your car in anticipation) and asked them to help, not just yell at him/her and not explain why the timing matters so much for you. He/she is not the one that controls what happens at factory. The SA can help you keep tabs on orders that might be cancelled or on cars that are similar and hopefully get you a VIN with a closer date.
6/22/2021 - Called Sales Advisor (from NV)
Complained how the VIN taken away, and the dates are delayed.

06/23/2021 - Tysons Corner,VA Sales Advisor called me.
Telling me my VIN was taken away because the car didn’t meet the quality expectation.

Last edited:
Reactions: bet_america
You seem to be assuming the worse intentions, but when I had my first VIN cancelled, it was because my first VIN failed inspection and they would have had to do fixes on with an unknown time table (they might even leave it to the demo fleet). Doesn't necessarily mean they "gave it to somebody else". I was able to quickly get a new VIN assigned within a few days (even though I was in no hurry and would have been fine waiting longer).

If you are really in need of a car, you can reach out to your advisor who contacted you about your circumstances and push them to see if they can expedite your case. They may be able to do something, especially if you are a bit flexible in your options (I remember reading people who for example accept a car with different paint color just to get it faster).
Thanks that is what I did.

Reactions: DanDi58
@bet_america what no one else has said in the last 3 pages is that Telsa’s order/delivery system is all screwed up right now. Some people are waking up to their new cars in front of their house without a vin, other people have vin’s assigned but no dates. It’s all a giant mess. I guy I play hockey with ordered his M3 back in January and has watched 3 different vins get assigned just to get removed. Last week he got a call that his car is on a truck and will be at his house by the end of the day! There is no rhyme or reason. The fact that they “self rejected” your vin is a good thing - their lack of communication is the issue.

As far as people commenting on your financial situation or “weight class” is silly. Not their business- how you decide to spend your money is your business. Don’t take their blows personally.

When your car does arrive I hope you get a lot of good use out of it as it’s an awesome car. Enjoy it.

So, to be clear, in reality the VIN was not stolen and Tesla did the right thing in not giving you a defective product. Still sucks but definitely makes more sense now.
Yeap, I can't edit the original post .
@bet_america what no one else has said in the last 3 pages is that Telsa’s order/delivery system is all screwed up right now. Some people are waking up to their new cars in front of their house without a vin, other people have vin’s assigned but no dates. It’s all a giant mess. I guy I play hockey with ordered his M3 back in January and has watched 3 different vins get assigned just to get removed. Last week he got a call that his car is on a truck and will be at his house by the end of the day! There is no rhyme or reason. The fact that they “self rejected” your vin is a good thing - their lack of communication is the issue.

As far as people commenting on your financial situation or “weight class” is silly. Not their business- how you decide to spend your money is your business. Don’t take their blows personally.

When your car does arrive I hope you get a lot of good use out of it as it’s an awesome car. Enjoy it.
wow that is good to know...

Reactions: Pianewman
Ask yourself what’s the purpose of your unkind comments serve? It seems to me it is unhelpful at best.
I don't see how recommending a cheaper car that is more affordable to OP as unkind. Many people buy cars they can't afford. If you must sell your car before your new car is even in your possession and now you've gotten yourself in a situation where you no longer have any vehicle. That's a problem.

Don’t “disagree” with their posts either, because they’ll search for every other post you’ve made on the forums and thumbs-down those, in an attempt to lower your score. It’s both amazingly petty and fantastically useless.
How about "disagreeing" with a post that has four or five different points, and not having the balls to actually state what you disagree with and why? Is that "amazingly petty and fantastically useless" too? Hmmm Darblish?

Reactions: AquaY
How about "disagreeing" with a post that has four or five different points, and not having the balls to actually state what you disagree with and why? Is that "amazingly petty and fantastically useless" too? Hmmm Darblish?
Lots of people on this forum seem to think chasing someone around from thread to thread and making unrelated/useless points are going to make them look smart. It doesn’t. Grow up.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nakk and 63AMG
Lots of people on this forum seem to think chasing someone around from thread to thread and making unrelated/useless points are going to make them look smart. It doesn’t. Grow up.
LMFAO. Unrelated, really? Let's see, you condemn a certain type of behavior, and I point out that you engage in exactly that behavior. Grow up? Give me a break. Still can't actually reply I see. BTW, do you even own a Tesla, and have you made any helpful posts at all?

Jesus Christ...okay okay, Tesla's action to me is really fair...
It isn't fair at all but his point has validity. Sure he could have been a little less blunt.
Seems strange to sell your ride before you got your new one to me.
Certainly Tesla sucks in their customer service.
Only choices you have are either wait or cancel the order and buy another car.
In the end it's just a car.
Take this as a life lesson. The adage " Don't count your chickens until they hatch" is apropos or perhaps " Stuff happens" is even better.
Good Luck and I hope you get it earlier than August.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if, during the end-of-quarter, Tesla pulls ordered VINs that do not have FSD and to sell those as inventory cars with FSD added, given the current car shortage. I'm sure there are tons of people willing to pay $10K more to get a car immediately, without having to wait months. Every inventory car I've seen has FSD.

That's my theory with the low-profit Model Y SR, which I've been waiting for since ordering February 2021. Not a priority.

Reactions: AquaY
Re title change... How did you find out the car had defects, and the car was undeliverable?
Did your SA tell you that?
Bummer all around, but funny the car was built, it got assigned to you, then they checked the quality!