Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y over Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it's just me, but while I'd love the air suspension, increased range, front end styling and the instrument cluster of the X, the steering wheel and the falcon doors are a non starter. But more than that, the price. If I only upgraded the wheels on the X the price is over $100k. As configured my Model Y is $55k. I just don't see the X as being double the price of the Y.

Which leads me to believe if Tesla added air suspension as an option, along with the increased range of the new battery pack, it would cannibalize sales on the X. I'd love to see it, but I don't see it happening. At least not in Tesla's relative infancy of car manufacturing where limited options and a minimalistic design equates to a streamlined production process.

Regardless though, I think if given the option between the X and Y even with price being equal... I might still choose the Y.

Reactions: DMateo and Gadget63
I love the room of the X, not a fan of the gull wing doors though. I also love to towing capacity, but in reality, I don't have anything to tow more than the 3500 pounds that the Y is rated for. I also can't justify 100,000 when the Y has everything I need for almost half. If in a few years Tesla comes out with a Y variant with air suspension, larger towing, and longer range, I may jump on it, but for now, my MY LR fits the bill perfectly.

I drove an X once when my Y was at service and the X is better in every way other than size. I already feel like the Y is kinda big and the X is huge in comparison although that's probably a plus for some people. The interior materials in the X are much nicer and it has a lot more features like the automatic doors, adjustable suspension, instrument cluster, larger center screen, longer range, faster acceleration etc. I don't know if it's really worth twice as much but it is indisputably a better car in pretty much every way.

I was going to purchase an X over the Y but the seats in the X are tight near your rib cage compared to the Y. The steering wheel is huge, when full throttle I felt axle shake on both that I've test driven, paint rub where the doors are and the interior just looked outdated. To those that are thinking about it, the space is not that much different than the Y. I don't get why people say the space is "huge", no it's not. In fact I felt smaller because the falcon wing doors bring the headliner lower compared to the Y where it's a raised open glass. The trunk is marginally bigger but not worth it for older tech, slower charge and mechanical problems. I followed the Model X group and there are more problems than the Y, significantly more.

I wanted the X to see if it was more quiet than the Y but not much.

Reactions: Gadget63
this is ridiculous discussion-it's like Bolt EV fans on Reddit trashing Tesla and the only reason is the Price or affordability.

Perhaps, but I'm fortunate to be at a point in my life where I could afford either the X or Y. Surprisingly, for the first time in my many years of car ownership I find myself preferring the cheaper model with less options.

So I ask... what has the pandemic REALLY done to me?

Looks like most people agree with you. Q2 sales below:

ProductionDeliveriesSubject to operating lease accounting
Model S/X2,3401,89018%
Model 3/Y204,081199,3607%
Total206,421201,2507%
Isn't this data table skewed? I thought the reason for the lower S/X deliveries was because of the production delay with the refreshed models, not necessarily because of lower demand.

Isn't this data table skewed? I thought the reason for the lower S/X deliveries was because of the production delay with the refreshed models, not necessarily because of lower demand.
Didn't know that, how far back does that go because Q1 is not much different?

Model S/X-2,0206%
Model 3/Y180,338182,7807%
Total180,338184,8007%

Here's 2020 numbers also and the S and X did fare better.

Model S/X-2,0206%
Total180,338184,8007%

I believe the announcement and delay with the S/X started in Q1. Hence you do didn't see any delivers for those 2 models. Besides, I think you're naturally going to see higher deliveries on the 3/Y due to the lower price points, Like you mentioned, Q4-20 deliveries on the S/X was much better before they stopped production on the older body style.

I believe the announcement and delay with the S/X started in Q1. Hence you do didn't see any delivers for those 2 models. Besides, I think you're naturally going to see higher deliveries on the 3/Y due to the lower price points, Like you mentioned, Q4-20 deliveries on the S/X was much better before they stopped production on the older body style.
i would expect better #s for Q3, but only on the deliveries of the S. According to the Tesla order page, the X won't even be available until 2022.

Model S/X-2,0206%
Total180,338184,8007%

The Model X has not been manufactured for customer delivery since December.

The S is basically the same, but started delivering again in late June. S numbers should improve a little this quarter, but the X probably won't be back in significant numbers until October at the earliest.

Tesla has never really done a major refresh like this and it isn't going all that well.

I had a 2016 X (90D) and switched to a 2020 Y (Performance), I've also owned a 2014 S (60).
Reasons I switched to a Y from an X.
1. Size is better for me (single guy, no kids), easier to park but the interior space is pretty comparable.
2. I hate the falcon wing doors on the X
3. Range and performance is better on the Y than my X (90D)
4. More comfortable driver seat for me.

Things I like about the X more than the Y
1. Huge Windshield is better for the driver.
2. More comfortable ride (suspension-wise)

The trade in value on my X was only about 5k less than I paid for the Y. I was running out of warranty and wanted a change, so it made sense to me...

Does anybody happen to have a picture of an X parked next to a Y? I've been googling for 10 minutes, would have thought it would be easy to find, but so far I keep finding pictures of the Y next to a 3.

Trying to prove to my wife that the Y and the X are similarly sized (as indicated on the Tesla website- only 10 fewer CF of storage for $50k less), but haven't found the smoking gun and since we can't see any in person at the Tesla store, this is the best we can do.

Thanks in advance.

Does anybody happen to have a picture of an X parked next to a Y? I've been googling for 10 minutes, would have thought it would be easy to find, but so far I keep finding pictures of the Y next to a 3.

Trying to prove to my wife that the Y and the X are similarly sized (as indicated on the Tesla website- only 10 fewer CF of storage for $50k less), but haven't found the smoking gun and since we can't see any in person at the Tesla store, this is the best we can do.

Thanks in advance.
I watched this video a few times when deciding between the two:

Thanks in advance.
I have a Y and have driven an X for a few days (loaner). The X definitely feels bigger in basically every way, but the cargo space was surprisingly not that much bigger. Passenger space feels like a bigger difference.

According to the Tesla website, the new X has 88 CF of trunk space where the Y has 76 CF. Of course, as you probably know, the big price difference also factors in the higher range, acceleration, and passenger room (2nd and 3rd row). I would love to get the X, but not sure if it's worth the extra $46K.

1629834511224.png

Reactions: Daekwan and jsight