Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Owner for 24 Minutes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After months of anticipation, I picked up my Model Y today in Northern Virginia. The car was absolutely beautiful and the walkthrough (from a distance) was very helpful. At the conclusion of the process, they help you set up your phone as your key and send you on your way. As I drove off the lot, I was immediately reminded of the cool regenerative braking and incredible acceleration. Little did I know that my time as a happy Tesla owner would end in 7 minutes...

Ok, let's fast forward 7 minutes. As I was driving home, my screen started showing errors and indicated that the regenerative braking had been disabled. Then I started getting more notifications that the stability and traction control had been disabled and to use caution while driving. The feel became very different and I started slowing down. I assumed that I did something wrong so I called a friend that owned a Tesla. After listening to my description of the problem, she let me know that she had not seen this issue in her model 3. I then proceeded to call the dealership back.

They had me go through some reboots (by pressing down both buttons above the scroll wheels). The reset takes about a minute and, unfortunately, had no effect. They then proceeded to transfer me to a service technician. After speaking with me for a while, he asked me to come back to the shop.

So now, back at the dealership, the manager comes out and tries some things with the car before heading back to talk to the service guys. I will say that everyone was apologetic and professional. Still, the sinking feeling in my stomach was getting worse. After about 10 mins, he came back and let me know that the diagnostics on my car (pretty cool that they get these over the air) was showing some issues and, in short, it needed to be admitted. So now I was being asked to basically send my new car to the shop for an indeterminate amount of time so they could see if they could figure out was wrong with it. After thinking about it for a few minutes, I wasn't comfortable with a new car that basically broke on the drive home. I was getting a new car because I was tired of sending my old car to the shop.

So I let them know that I would prefer to just give them the car back. They tried to find another matching new car for me (which I would have been ok with) but they didn't have my color. Then they proceeded to do the return. Again, they apologized profusely, felt my pain at getting a defective car and handled it quickly.

Disappointing to say the least. Makes me wonder if they may be pushing out this new model too quickly. Also, was frustrating that they wouldn't refund my order reservation fee. I basically did everything right and still got stuck with the fee.

Hopefully this was an isolated incident but wondering if others have had Model Y issues?

"Disappointing to say the least. Makes me wonder if they may be pushing out this new model too quickly." If you are not an expert on deployment of new models within existing proven manufacturers, I don't think you have the qualifications to be suggesting "may be pushed out too quickly".

Its not a prototype. Whatever was wrong: 1) it can happen to anything. 2) they will fix it. 3) if you don't want it, then give it back, somone will be happy to get it. 4) everyone pays the non-refundable ordering fee.

Best to you.

After months of anticipation, I picked up my Model Y today in Northern Virginia. The car was absolutely beautiful and the walkthrough (from a distance) was very helpful. At the conclusion of the process, they help you set up your phone as your key and send you on your way. As I drove off the lot, I was immediately reminded of the cool regenerative braking and incredible acceleration. Little did I know that my time as a happy Tesla owner would end in 7 minutes...

Ok, let's fast forward 7 minutes. As I was driving home, my screen started showing errors and indicated that the regenerative braking had been disabled. Then I started getting more notifications that the stability and traction control had been disabled and to use caution while driving. The feel became very different and I started slowing down. I assumed that I did something wrong so I called a friend that owned a Tesla. After listening to my description of the problem, she let me know that she had not seen this issue in her model 3. I then proceeded to call the dealership back.

They had me go through some reboots (by pressing down both buttons above the scroll wheels). The reset takes about a minute and, unfortunately, had no effect. They then proceeded to transfer me to a service technician. After speaking with me for a while, he asked me to come back to the shop.

So now, back at the dealership, the manager comes out and tries some things with the car before heading back to talk to the service guys. I will say that everyone was apologetic and professional. Still, the sinking feeling in my stomach was getting worse. After about 10 mins, he came back and let me know that the diagnostics on my car (pretty cool that they get these over the air) was showing some issues and, in short, it needed to be admitted. So now I was being asked to basically send my new car to the shop for an indeterminate amount of time so they could see if they could figure out was wrong with it. After thinking about it for a few minutes, I wasn't comfortable with a new car that basically broke on the drive home. I was getting a new car because I was tired of sending my old car to the shop.

So I let them know that I would prefer to just give them the car back. They tried to find another matching new car for me (which I would have been ok with) but they didn't have my color. Then they proceeded to do the return. Again, they apologized profusely, felt my pain at getting a defective car and handled it quickly.

Disappointing to say the least. Makes me wonder if they may be pushing out this new model too quickly. Also, was frustrating that they wouldn't refund my order reservation fee. I basically did everything right and still got stuck with the fee.

Hopefully this was an isolated incident but wondering if others have had Model Y issues?
Smart move to turn it back in.

"Its not a prototype. Whatever was wrong: 1) it can happen to anything. 2) they will fix it. 3) if you don't want it, then give it back, somone will be happy to get it. 4) everyone pays the non-refundable ordering fee.

Best to you.

Ok, that response was pretty crazy. A car faulting so badly within minutes of driving the car off the lot... that's horrible and a huge letdown for somehow who just sunk ~60k into a new purchase. I get the Tesla love and all, but its cant be a simple "hand-wave toss off" expecting people to accept such horrible quality.

In before someone else posts that their car has no problems whatsoever.

In before someone else notes that it’s the OP’s first and only post so he or she must certainly be a troll or a short-seller.

In all seriousness, I would be disappointed too. Whether this happens to other manufacturers (it does) and is not unique to Tesla (surprise, it happens to others too) is besides the point. To have it happen to you sucks and I thank the OP for sharing.

Ok, that response was pretty crazy. A car faulting so badly within minutes of driving the car off the lot... that's horrible and a huge letdown for somehow who just sunk ~60k into a new purchase. I get the Tesla love and all, but its cant be a simple "hand-wave toss off" expecting people to accept such horrible quality.
What's wrong? They will fix it. Its not a one-of-a-kind car. They will give him a loaner while they figure out why its doing that. If they knew immediately, they would simply fix it right away.

Ummmm, your name is "briefly owner" and you joined "today". Are you a bot? Are you from Audi e-tron or Ford Mustang? Who the heck buys a car, has a bad experience, and then decides to join a Tesla group to talk about it? Where have you been for the past months talking about your ordering experience, your questions about supercharging, your concern about panel gaps or paint quality? Something smells fishy about this post (not that Telsa doesnt have issues from time to time but lets be surrrrrious...)

First, I would say that if this is true, I feel bad for the OP. BUT, I would also say that as a fairly early Tesla adopter you kind of know that Tesla tends to be on the leading (bleediing) edge with a lot of this stuff and I always make my purchases from them with my eyes open. I am picking up my car on 6/30. I have a checklist that I will run through. I've done lots of homework on the car and I already think I'm aware of where the weak spots are going to be. I've also dealt with Tesla service long enough to know that they have always made it right. I'm not expecting a perfect car. If it's close, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

What I do know, that is once I get through the list, the car will be worth it. There is nothing else like these cars on the planet.

Sorry about you having to return car.I was a Model Y owner for 3 days. (2nd Car, rejected the 1st). Next Am after accepting it noticed major paint mismatches, bent door and hood brackets and repaired body panels. 3rd Day verified all body issues with certified Tesla Body shop. Took it back to DC, service manager there offered no other solutions so I returned car. Lost my 100 and when you return a new Tesla they will not allow you to order another Model Y in the same trim level for a year. So much for building customer loyalty/satisfaction and more sales. Bummed Out Tesla guy

• Informative
Reactions: jdr93
Fifty years ago I used to work at a Toyota - Oldsmobile - American Motors dealership. Our new car prep department was right next to where I worked. They had a sign hanging at the entrance for all new car customers to see. It served its purpose better than a verbal explanation.

Ivory soap has a commercial where they praise their soap is 99 & 44/100th% pure. Your new car could have the same percentage of quality and still contain more than 300 errors or mistakes when delivered from the factory. We will make it right.

Last edited:

Oh yeah good luck getting your money within 30 days

• Informative
Reactions: jdr93
Losing regen and traction control sounds like a wheel speed sensor, or something similar. A single wheel speed sensor being loose could easily do this.

Resetting with steering wheel buttons had nothing to do with this, that was just a placebo, lol. A full power off might've helped, but you have to be parked for that, obviously.

There's a decent chance that letting the car sleep for 30 min will fix it, and the service people will never be able to replicate the problem if sleeping fixes it, lol. But if it's a loose connection, they should be able to find it.

My Model 3 with 18k miles on it did this (or something eerily similar) exactly once, about 8k miles in. It wasn't a loose connection though. Leaving the car alone and letting it deep sleep for 30min, then coming back fixed it totally. Has never happened again. My best theory is somehow the computer dropped a bit and lost communication with a wheel speed sensor, and sleeping let it reconnect. I blame cosmic rays.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Jashev
Returning this car was the right thing to do. And yet, it probably isn’t a major problem to fix. But don’t get discouraged and hope you’re willing to give it another shot when they can match you with the car you want.

FWIW, I’ve bought two ICE vehicles in the past 15 years where I had to immediately turn around and head back to the dealership because of problems. It happens. And I feel your pain.

• Informative
Reactions: preilly44 and jdr93
I've bought 13 ICE cars in the past 35 years and have never had got turn around and head back to the dealer.

This could be a "one off" but all the garbage paint jobs, bad panel fitments, and dirt and grunge all over the interior are not isolated incidents.

In another post where a buyer had to reject a white MY because of the mismatched paint. he/she was told by the Tesla rep that they would just present it to the next buyer in line. That is disappointing that they'd rather push cars out onto the streets (likely to meet quarter end targets) instead of ensuring their products are something that exude pride in manufacturing. If a body shop painted cars like what Tesla is currently pushing out, they wouldn't be in business for long.