Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Owners - Preordering a Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can you use model Y to tide you over while waiting?

What happens if you do over 5,000 lb towing? I doubt the hitch will hold and not shears off - particularly concerned about pulling a heavy boat out of the water. It seems to be held on by 4 small bolts..
I'm in the same boat looking for temporary solution..
Y is only good for 3500 lb of towing. It's a really great car but it isn't a truck.

I hope my CT can tow 14k pounds and not have too much of a price increase.

Reactions: Rusty1 and AquaY
I know I’m in the right place cuz I literally just got a model 3 because I realized the truck won’t be here anytime soon 😢

I think it’s possibly the best decision I’ve ever made tough 😆

Attachments

• 7DBEC18C-A42B-45B6-809D-5452FE490C4C.jpeg
    7DBEC18C-A42B-45B6-809D-5452FE490C4C.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Funny
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
The Rivian 4 motor can be under $100K in a more basic configuration. So $140K is too high.

I don't think Tesla is going to be excited about building inexpensive Cybertrucks, but I doubt the high end goes much over $100K.

In hindsight it was ridiculous for Musk to emphasize the low low entry level price.
I fully expect the fully loaded quad motor above the price of the Plaid MX. Why wouldn't we? It's going to be far more expensive to build (more batteries, steel prices, new production, etc) Elon is bragging about loading it with crazy features and they know there's a nice group of people that will pay for that version early where most will buy the step below that.

I fully expect the fully loaded quad motor above the price of the Plaid MX. Why wouldn't we? It's going to be far more expensive to build (more batteries, steel prices, new production, etc) Elon is bragging about loading it with crazy features and they know there's a nice group of people that will pay for that version early where most will buy the step below that.

I don't recall Elon bragging about any crazy features, only that it would be their best vehicle. Simpler construction was supposed to reduce manufacturing costs as well. The tri-motor was the original top-of-the-line model at $70k, and that was below the price of the base model X at that time. I see these factors as contributing to a more "reasonable" quad-motor.

I don't recall Elon bragging about any crazy features, only that it would be their best vehicle. Simpler construction was supposed to reduce manufacturing costs as well. The tri-motor was the original top-of-the-line model at $70k, and that was below the price of the base model X at that time. I see these factors as contributing to a more "reasonable" quad-motor.
He stated there would be more features. He stated months ago there would be a Quad, that there would be rear wheel steering like the Hummer.
That's a significant difference. He has said there have ebeen design changes implying improvements but he's being secretive which I understand.
If anything has been learned is once he says something might happen if it doesn't people go crazy. Like they are in this topic.

The " Simpler construction" part was taken into account with the projected pricing in 2019.
Before inflation levels unseen for most people's lifetimes hit us.

He even alluded that it was difficult to make the Cyber Truck affordable long before the inflation hit.
He repeatedly said that it was a challenge to produce it at a good price.

People can believe in what they want. We won't know for sure until its about to be delivered

He stated there would be more features. He stated months ago there would be a Quad, that there would be rear wheel steering like the Hummer.
That's a significant difference. He has said there have ebeen design changes implying improvements but he's being secretive which I understand.
If anything has been learned is once he says something might happen if it doesn't people go crazy. Like they are in this topic.

The " Simpler construction" part was taken into account with the projected pricing in 2019.
Before inflation levels unseen for most people's lifetimes hit us.

He even alluded that it was difficult to make the Cyber Truck affordable long before the inflation hit.
He repeatedly said that it was a challenge to produce it at a good price.

People can believe in what they want. We won't know for sure until its about to be delivered
This.

Steel prices are exponentially higher, battery cost are higher...all prices are higher.

He's said multiple times that this will be Tesla's most ridiculously packed vehicle or even it's an "Insane technology bandwagon".

Elon said before that the X was the most ridiculous vehicle with the Falcon wing doors and auto opening doors and has said the CT will surpass this. No door handles, facial recognition (rumor), auto-opening doors, bigger tires, more motors, 4 wheel steering, etc.

Again, there's no reason to believe it will be cheaper than the X for the fully loaded configuration. With steel and battery component cost, it will be a more expensive vehicle for Tesla to make.

This.

Steel prices are exponentially higher, battery cost are higher...all prices are higher.

He's said multiple times that this will be Tesla's most ridiculously packed vehicle or even it's an "Insane technology bandwagon".

Elon said before that the X was the most ridiculous vehicle with the Falcon wing doors and auto opening doors and has said the CT will surpass this. No door handles, facial recognition (rumor), auto-opening doors, bigger tires, more motors, 4 wheel steering, etc.

Again, there's no reason to believe it will be cheaper than the X for the fully loaded configuration. With steel and battery component cost, it will be a more expensive vehicle for Tesla to make.

The difference between the X and cybertruck is hardware vs. software. What made the X expensive was how difficult it became to make the falcon wings durable - strictly a hardware issue. All the features you've spelled out can all be implemented in software, there's no incremental costs per vehicle.

Stainless steel has generally been about the same price as aluminium, so any material cost increases wouldn't change the cost ratio between cybertruck and model X pricing (namely that the tri-motor was priced below the base model X). The rolling tonneau cover would be the only piece of hardware that adds additional cost.

Anyway, I do NOT think the quad-motor will be below the base model X either, but there's no reason to think it would be anywhere near a plaid X (let alone above it in the original claim)! That's too far of a price jump.

Mark my words. It will start at 69k.

probably something for the predictions thread.

I'll throw my hat into the pool for cybertruck's new starting price of 59k ($10k above original AWD pricing, and $20k above the original cybertruck base price), with quad-motor starting at $89k and tri-motor being $79k. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but the backlash from the HummerEV should leave an impression with Elon.

Reactions: WhiteWi and Ogre
The difference between the X and cybertruck is hardware vs. software. What made the X expensive was how difficult it became to make the falcon wings durable - strictly a hardware issue. All the features you've spelled out can all be implemented in software, there's no incremental costs per vehicle.

Stainless steel has generally been about the same price as aluminium, so any material cost increases wouldn't change the cost ratio between cybertruck and model X pricing (namely that the tri-motor was priced below the base model X). The rolling tonneau cover would be the only piece of hardware that adds additional cost.

Anyway, I do NOT think the quad-motor will be below the base model X either, but there's no reason to think it would be anywhere near a plaid X (let alone above it in the original claim)! That's too far of a price jump.
You are adding a MUCH larger battery...which is currently the most expensive thing on a Tesla and the cost has gone up substantially, a new building process, an extra motor, rear wheel drive...while still providing things like Auto doors (but now on 4 doors instead of 2) a retractable tonneau...I'd be willing to bet the quad motor CT is more than the Plaid X. They are using more materials as stated before. Also, in 2019 aluminum marginally was cheaper than steel, but steel is up 200% since then.

It's a safe bet that it will be at or above the Plaid X...That's one of the biggest reasons we haven't seen a CT outside of meeting demand for other vehicles. As Elon himself said, it's difficult to create at an affordable price right now. That has only gotten worse since he said that.

probably something for the predictions thread.

I'll throw my hat into the pool for cybertruck's new starting price of 59k ($10k above original AWD pricing, and $20k above the original cybertruck base price), with quad-motor starting at $89k and tri-motor being $79k. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but the backlash from the HummerEV should leave an impression with Elon.
If Sawyer Merritt is to be believed, it will be 2 and 4 for the foreseeable future. The HummerEV has a waitlist...so not enough backlash to prevent sales.

Reactions: WhiteWi
If Sawyer Merritt is to be believed, it will be 2 and 4 for the foreseeable future. The HummerEV has a waitlist...so not enough backlash to prevent sales.

They've only deliverd 372 Hummer EV's so far (out of an original reservation list of 77k). They're still well within the pool of "aficionados" (aka brand fanatics). Neither a full loaded R1T nor the Lightning come anywhere close to $100k.

They've only deliverd 372 Hummer EV's so far (out of an original reservation list of 77k). They're still well within the pool of "aficionados" (aka brand fanatics). Neither a full loaded R1T nor the Lightning come anywhere close to $100k.
The supply issues and not being able to make more have very little to do with their pricing. They are selling used for 240K. The demand is there. The F150 Platnium with 300 miles of range is 95K and R1T, fully loaded is 98K...which has very little to do with the CT pricing.

We are still 6 months to a year out before we see pricing, things can change, but I just don't understand the logic of the X being cheaper when the CT is trying to achieve "500 miles", with a heavier, less aerodynamic frame, more motors, more expensive materials, rear wheel steering, new process, bigger tires/brakes, basically more/bigger everything than the Plaid X. Elon has already said that the specifications and prices will change...I assume that means no 500 mile range and higher price point, but we have to wait to see.

I think the 4 motor and original variant will be the Plaid of CTs and be priced accordingly. They will likely launch it with the 2 wheel as the much cheaper option, but won't begin delivering those for a year or so.

Last edited:
This.

Stainless steel prices are up about 15%. Not "Exponentially".

Stainless steel costs less than $5000/ ton and there will be far less than a ton of steel in the truck. The increase in steel costs will add around $500 to the cost to manufacture the truck. This isn't tough to find these numbers, do some research.

Battery raw materials costs are up similarly, but likewise not "exponentially". It's a 15-20% increase and battery + steel costs are less than 20% of the total vehicle cost. Tesla hedges a lot of these costs.

Less than half of the total cost of a vehicle is in raw materials. The bulk of the cost of the Model X is in assembly. Cybertruck manufacture will have much more automation and assembly costs will be much lower.

I've given up on trying to guess what the fire run Cybertrucks will cost, but almost all of your assertions here for why the Cybertruck "Must" be more expensive than the Model X are wrong.

Stainless steel prices are up about 15%. Not "Exponentially".

Stainless steel costs less than $5000/ ton and there will be far less than a ton of steel in the truck. The increase in steel costs will add around $500 to the cost to manufacture the truck. This isn't tough to find these numbers, do some research.

Battery raw materials costs are up similarly, but likewise not "exponentially". It's a 15-20% increase and battery + steel costs are less than 20% of the total vehicle cost. Tesla hedges a lot of these costs.

Less than half of the total cost of a vehicle is in raw materials. The bulk of the cost of the Model X is in assembly. Cybertruck manufacture will have much more automation and assembly costs will be much lower.

I've given up on trying to guess what the fire run Cybertrucks will cost, but almost all of your assertions here for why the Cybertruck "Must" be more expensive than the Model X are wrong.
I got the 200% number from Elon when he was talking about the CT when he was talking about how expensive it will be to make it in today's environment on Lex's podcast and one of the reasons why the cannot make it...He probably quoted something similar to this: (Looks like they are around $851 now)

In March 2020, prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, steel prices traded between $500 and $800. The price of steel as of July 2021 is up over 200%, trading at $1,800, and many involved in the market don’t see the price reducing until at least 2022

The raw material cost of the CT are much more than the MX. We know this. We don't know if production cost are lower as, again, Elon stated the CT is something they have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to produce.

I got the 200% number from Elon when he was talking about the CT when he was talking about how expensive it will be to make it in today's environment on Lex's podcast and one of the reasons why the cannot make it...He probably quoted something similar to this: (Looks like they are around $851 now)

The raw material cost of the CT are much more than the MX. We know this. We don't know if production cost are lower as, again, Elon stated the CT is something they have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to produce.
You are suggesting a $1000 raw material increase is going to cause a $20,000 end price increase. It's nonsense even if the cost of steel doubled its nonsense. But the cost of steel didn't double. Nor did the cost of any inputs. In order for stainless steel to account for a $20k price increase in the truck, the truck would need to use 10 tons of steel. Lithium is similar.

Again, all this pricing info is out there and available. Instead of looking it up, you are just making up numbers.

Yes, the Cybertruck has more raw materials than the Model X. That's irrelevant. Vehicles are not priced and sold by the pound.

Last edited:
You are suggesting a $1000 raw material increase is going to cause a $20,000 end price increase.
I never said the cost of steel resulted in a 20k increase. Those original prices were bullshit. Tesla took them off the site for a reason. Elon said they were increasing them.

The 200% increase, as I said, was a reason they were making the CT at the time. Those were Elon's words.

The 20k+ extra comes eith 4 wheel drive, torque vectoring, suspension, 4 auto doors, and all the tech other bells and whistle the top tier CT will have, plus the cost of material increase, and the economy...not only inflation, but what buyers are willing to spend.

I think it's an easy bet its the most expensive Tesla. People who think the 4 motor with all the options will be under 100k in this economy doesn't make any sense, especially when they sell all the MYs they can for 70k.

Also, if we are taking Elon for his word. Raw materials resulted in a 20k+ increase on the MY, MS, and MX.

2020 price of refresh Model S- $79k 2022-$104k
2020 MY- $47K 2022- 65K

The reality is it's demand and materials, same with CT.

Last edited: