Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Owners - Preordering a Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we're talking about a raise due to materials cost increases, it would look like this.

The Detroit automaker said the price increases – between $6,000 and $8,500, depending on the model – are due to “significant material cost increases and other factors.” The higher costs will not impact current reservation holders who are awaiting delivery of a vehicle, according to the company.

The starting prices for the 2023 F-150 Lightning will now range from about $47,000 to $97,000, up from roughly $40,000 to $92,000 for the 2022 model-year.

When you start blathering on about raising prices to Model X pricing, it has nothing to do with materials costs.

Reactions: WhiteWi and kayak1
If we're talking about a raise due to materials cost increases, it would look like this.

When you start blathering on about raising prices to Model X pricing, it has nothing to do with materials costs.
It absolutely factors in. Tesla claims that it's the reason for the previous increases, but as I stated, it's only half the story.

Do you really believe that a 4 motor CT with all the things we've seen included will be at a lower price point than the Model X?

I don't. We will find out soon enough, but I see no way that they launch something with all of those features, size, components under $100k, it appears many agree on that. The only thing we can go on is trends in the industry (F150/Rivian right at 100K), other Teslas (all went up 20K+), cost of materials/building process factors, and what Elon has stated...whether that be it's difficult to produce an affordable CT or that the price will not be what was previously advertised.

How much higher is speculation, but I'm just listing the reasons I believe it will be the most expensive Tesla.

This is just like the 4680 discussions where everyone swore we would get 500 miles of range for a similar price point and continued to argue that it would be no real benefit for consumers, even when Elon said it. Tesla will make as much money as possible, especially on their highest trims. The M3/MY is as luxurious as a civic, yet cost as much as a BMW and they can't make enough of them.

Last edited:
It absolutely factors in. Tesla claims that it's the reason for the previous increases, but as I stated, it's only half the story.

Do you really believe that a 4 motor CT with all the things we've seen included will be at a lower price point than the Model X?
Aside from fear. There is literally zero reason it should.

Model X is a luxury car. Cybertruck is a pickup. You might as well ask whether the Ford F-150 Lightning will be more expensive than a Mercedes S Class.

The two vehicles aren't in the same category. There is zero basis for comparison.

Aside from fear. There is literally zero reason it should.

Model X is a luxury car. Cybertruck is a pickup. You might as well ask whether the Ford F-150 Lightning will be more expensive than a Mercedes S Class.

The two vehicles aren't in the same category. There is zero basis for comparison.
The MX/MS are not luxury vehicles by normal definitions. As someone in the MS thread said, cheap fast shells eith expensive batteries.

I love my 2022 MS, the tech, speed, etc, but it's lacks refinements of Mercedes, etc.

Also, the CT is getting every "luxury" that the X/S have. Much like the Rivian isn't targeting typical truck owners, the CT isn't either.

The MX/MS are not luxury vehicles by normal definitions. As someone in the MS thread said, cheap fast shells eith expensive batteries.

I love my 2022 MS, the tech, speed, etc, but it's lacks refinements of Mercedes, etc.

Also, the CT is getting every "luxury" that the X/S have. Much like the Rivian isn't targeting typical truck owners, the CT isn't either.
Man, you're all over the place! Which talking points are you parroting? Pick one. Tesla markets the MS/MX as the performance luxury end of their line-up, while 3/Y are their mainstream models. If you think the "luxury" features isn't up to the competitors, that's fine, but has no bearing on the fact that Tesla has targetted those vehicles for the luxury market (as opposed to opulent like a Bentley).

Likewise for the cybertruck, it's targeting the truck market. Just because you're willing to pay more for it than a model X plaid, doesn't mean that most of the others will. Pricing the quad-motor anywhere near the plaid will ensure that cybertruck sales will never reach F-150 levels. Most of the "features" that you've listed can be implemented in software, so there's no complex hardware to build, like the falcon-wing doors or carbon-fiber wrapped rotors on the model X plaid.

Edit: CT isn't getting every "luxury" - no pedestal seats, nor captains chairs, nor plaid motors. Nor hand-made construction.

Reactions: WhiteWi and Ogre
Man, you're all over the place! Which talking points are you parroting? Pick one. Tesla markets the MS/MX as the performance luxury end of their line-up, while 3/Y are their mainstream models. If you think the "luxury" features isn't up to the competitors, that's fine, but has no bearing on the fact that Tesla has targetted those vehicles for the luxury market (as opposed to opulent like a Bentley).

Likewise for the cybertruck, it's targeting the truck market. Just because you're willing to pay more for it than a model X plaid, doesn't mean that most of the others will. Pricing the quad-motor anywhere near the plaid will ensure that cybertruck sales will never reach F-150 levels. Most of the "features" that you've listed can be implemented in software, so there's no complex hardware to build, like the falcon-wing doors or carbon-fiber wrapped rotors on the model X plaid.

Edit: CT isn't getting every "luxury" - no pedestal seats, nor captains chairs, nor plaid motors. Nor hand-made construction.
Pedestal seats is a luxury? Interesting.

We don't know what motors the quad will have or if it will have a Plaid variant or not. Much like the Platinum vs the XLT, the CT will have different options for different price points, but it's not targeting the typical work truck market. Just like the guy saying, "How are they expecting workers to use a touchscreen with gloves or a yoke to back massive loads", that's not their target audience. It's going after the weekend pick up truck market who can throw *sugar* in the bed and pull their boat to the ramp.

Again, we are talking about the top trim, like the Plaid...there will be lower options.

We don't know what motors the quad will have or if it will have a Plaid variant or not. Much like the Platinum vs the XLT, the CT will have different options for different price points, but it's not targeting the typical work truck market. Just like the guy saying, "How are they expecting workers to use a touchscreen with gloves or a yoke to back massive loads", that's not their target audience. It's going after the weekend pick up truck market who can throw *sugar* in the bed and pull their boat to the ramp.

Again, we are talking about the top trim, like the Plaid...there will be lower options.
Do you know what's the difference between the carbon-fiber wrapped rotors and the regular model 3 motors (which happen to be the front motors for the non-plaid S/X)? Top speed. Do you really think the truck market is going to care about what its top speed is? At any speed above 120mph (still well under the top speed of the non-plaid motors), that "huge" battery will be drained in under2 hrs due to the aerodynamic drag of a truck. Putting an expensive motor into a vehicle that can't really make use of it would be a mistake of monumental proportions. The cybertruck will NOT have the plaid motors, because it would only add cost without providing any performance benefit (unless Elon wants the top speed to exceed 145mph). You're just hyperventilating off of speculation without any understanding of mechanics and economics.

As Ogre pointed out to you, material cost increases do NOT translate to outsized increases in the cost of the vehicle. Ease of manufacturing makes things cheaper without changing how much material went into them. And that's what the paintless exoskeleton cybertruck (with gigacast under-carriages) was supposed to bring to the table. Many amazing tech features can be implemented in software without changing the hardware (like sentry mode, dog mode, camp mode, and soon - facial recognition).

Reactions: kayak1
Last edited:
Do you know what's the difference between the carbon-fiber wrapped rotors and the regular model 3 motors (which happen to be the front motors for the non-plaid S/X)? Top speed. Do you really think the truck market is going to care about what its top speed is? At any speed above 120mph (still well under the top speed of the non-plaid motors), that "huge" battery will be drained in under2 hrs due to the aerodynamic drag of a truck. Putting an expensive motor into a vehicle that can't really make use of it would be a mistake of monumental proportions. The cybertruck will NOT have the plaid motors, because it would only add cost without providing any performance benefit (unless Elon wants the top speed to exceed 145mph). You're just hyperventilating off of speculation without any understanding of mechanics and economics.

As Ogre pointed out to you, material cost increases do NOT translate to outsized increases in the cost of the vehicle. Ease of manufacturing makes things cheaper without changing how much material went into them. And that's what the paintless exoskeleton cybertruck (with gigacast under-carriages) was supposed to bring to the table. Many amazing tech features can be implemented in software without changing the hardware (like sentry mode, dog mode, camp mode, and soon - facial recognition).
Elon has said, by my count, 6 different times that there will be a Plaid version of the CT, that's why I said we can't be sure. I absolutely understand the difference and when he said it people said it was crazy. Will he use carbon-fiber wrapped motors? Probably not, but I could see them doing something ridiculous like that.

Why we need a truck that does the 1/4 in 10.8 seconds is crazy in itself, but those are his claims.

edit: And just because Elon says X,Y,Z (speed, distance, Plaid, etc.) doesn't mean it's true. I understand.

Last edited:
Farzad Mesbahi has about the best take on pricing as anyone I've seen. Nicely slots the Cybertruck in the middle of the current competitive field which makes a ton of sense. He suggests they will cede the low end of the truck market to Ford with a nice mix of prices which are rationally adjusted for inflation. Puts the high end Cybertruck right between the Hummer, the top end F150, and the top end R1T (with 400 miles range).

1660090454380.png

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
There will be no plaid Cybertruck. Trust me
I’m not sold on this one way or the other myself.

Tesla typically has an LR model and a Performance or Plaid model. I can see a lot of ways this might land. A lot of people don’t care a ton about Supercar performance in the truck and just want the 500 miles range. Maybe there is Dual, Dual LR, and Quad/ Plaid and that’s it.

The whole story is so muddy right now it’s hard to say.

Reactions: WhiteWi

the tri motor was 0-6- in 2.9 so would have to get the plaid motors I assume

the tri motor was 0-6- in 2.9 so would have to get the plaid motors I assume

Acceleration (aka 0-60 time) is more of a function of gear-ratio. The performance model 3 gets a 0-60 time of 3.1s (without the carbon-wrapped rotor, with a gear ratio of 8.27:1 ).

The plaid gets better 0-60 times, because the gear-ratio is lower (7.50:1). Normally this change trades off a lower top speed, but the carbon-sleeved rotors permit a higher RPM, which allows the car to still reach the higher speeds.

The semi was supposed to use four model 3 motors. The cybertruck can use the same motors and still attain 0-60 times of under 3.0 (w/ 1-ft rollout), just by having a gear ratio of ~8:1 (top speed would be under 135mph).

• Helpful
This "diamond" steering feature looks to be a must-have for towing. Reversing with a trailer is a royal pain to do. And I've seen a friend's F-150 with a nifty "reversing" mini-steering wheel for the express purpose of reversing with a trailer. It would be a killer-app if Tesla could implement it in software.

Farzad Mesbahi has about the best take on pricing as anyone I've seen. Nicely slots the Cybertruck in the middle of the current competitive field which makes a ton of sense. He suggests they will cede the low end of the truck market to Ford with a nice mix of prices which are rationally adjusted for inflation. Puts the high end Cybertruck right between the Hummer, the top end F150, and the top end R1T (with 400 miles range).

View attachment 838868

LOL at Quad for 80K