Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Owners - Preordering a Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered CT after 3 days from launch! What was I thinking for 3 days and that too for $100 which was refundable :rolleyes: Got a MYP last year and a M3 last week. Two Tesla's in the garage and couldn't be more happier. Eager to see full specs on paper. I wonder what that surprise might be that Tesla chief designer mentioned in the interview.

Answer is: None of the above.

I ordered it when I saw the price.

That makes no sense to me, because there were cheaper EV's at that time. So I can only assume that you meant "it was the cheapest EV truck", in which case doesn't that imply that you liked the functionality?

The question then breaks down into whether you liked the functionality IN SPITE of the looks or in addition to it?

There is an old phrase in the PC industry “Bang for the Buck”.

Also, while there were other EVs at the time, I don’t need another EV, I need a truck. A bolt isn’t a replacement for a truck. Might as well suggest a scooter.

The only other truck at the time was the Rivian which was smaller, more expensive, and less suitable for the back county uses I need a truck for.

There is an old phrase in the PC industry “Bang for the Buck”.

Also, while there were other EVs at the time, I don’t need another EV, I need a truck. A bolt isn’t a replacement for a truck. Might as well suggest a scooter.

The only other truck at the time was the Rivian which was smaller, more expensive, and less suitable for the back county uses I need a truck for.

I wanted a truck too (aka functionality), but I hated the looks of the CT, just like how I disliked how my old Nissan Leaf looked. I'm a function over form guy. But others on reddit actually said they put down a reservations BECAUSE of how it looked! I thought they were in the minority, but was proven wrong.

I wanted a truck too (aka functionality), but I hated the looks of the CT, just like how I disliked how my old Nissan Leaf looked. I'm a function over form guy. But others on reddit actually said they put down a reservations BECAUSE of how it looked! I thought they were in the minority, but was proven wrong.
The thing is I don’t think modern pickup trucks look nice. Most modern trucks have huge exaggerated features at this point and have chased bloated features over actual functionality.

When someone says they chose function over form, it presumes you picked the ugly option. I don’t think that’s the case.

I respect the Cybertruck’s looks because it is the way it is for a reason. I also love that I’m never going to have to worry about paint scratches when I’m thrashing through brush which happens a bunch.

The thing is I don’t think modern pickup trucks look nice. Most modern trucks have huge exaggerated features at this point and have chased bloated features over actual functionality.

When someone says they chose function over form, it presumes you picked the ugly option. I don’t think that’s the case.

I respect the Cybertruck’s looks because it is the way it is for a reason. I also love that I’m never going to have to worry about paint scratches when I’m thrashing through brush which happens a bunch.

No, choosing function over form means the looks turned you off (much like how the other truck's don't look good), but the features won you over. The fact that you'd write "I respect the Cybertruck's looks" means you don't actually think the truck looks "good" (then again, you think way about all trucks). You've simply accepted how it looks. You're clearly a functions-over-form guy.

In contrast, some redditors actually expressed that they LOVE how the cybertruck looked ("masculine" lines and all that) - and that they didn't care about the specs/capabilities at all! Those folks are "posers" in my book.

I think my chainsaw looks good.

It’s not a particularly sexy object, but it is well built for the task which makes it look good to me.

I have a very nice Gerber Hatchet… does any hatchet look good? I don’t know, but I don’t particularly care because I can see how its built to do the thing it does well.

To me most of the time “Function” and ”Form” are two sides of a coin. It looks good because it does it’s task well.

Nobody thinks a Jeep Wrangler “Looks Good” on its appearance. It does not have sexy lines. People respect it because of what it does well.

I think my chainsaw looks good.

It’s not a particularly sexy object, but it is well built for the task which makes it look good to me.

I have a very nice Gerber Hatchet… does any hatchet look good? I don’t know, but I don’t particularly care because I can see how its built to do the thing it does well.

To me most of the time “Function” and ”Form” are two sides of a coin. It looks good because it does it’s task well.

Nobody thinks a Jeep Wrangler “Looks Good” on its appearance. It does not have sexy lines. People respect it because of what it does well.

How about this: I like how the Lotus Esprit looks. To me, it looks sexy! If it could tow 7000lbs, was scratch-proof, and seat at least 6, then it would qualify as something that I'd love both the looks AND specs. Basically turn off the engineer's brain and listen to your heart when deciding if something "looks" good.

How about this: I like how the Lotus Esprit looks. To me, it looks sexy! If it could tow 7000lbs, was scratch-proof, and seat at least 6, then it would qualify as something that I'd love both the looks AND specs. Basically turn off the engineer's brain and listen to your heart when deciding if something "looks" good.
Sort of like this:

1677606543941.png

Yard art and vehicle.