Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y P, available mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased Model YP in January 2022. My car is currently running 14,000 miles. At first, my car was marked as 271 miles on a 90% charge, but now it is marked as 257 miles on a 90% charge. The available distance has decreased by 14 miles in eight months. Is there any way to reverse this? It's okay now, but I think the available distance will decrease a lot in a year or two.
Screenshot_20220806-061844_Tesla.jpg

batteries face degradation, nothing you can do to reverse it. we all hit about 10%-13% loss and hang out there, you're fine, just drive the car and have fun. Also, the MYP doesn't get the best range with that setup, so you got the wrong car if you want a little more range. But yeah, just drive, use the percent, this displayed miles are useless anyway.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Normal - sometimes too much data is just that too much. Advice: drive and enjoy!

Do a search and you'll see it is normal to have fluctuations & degradation.

Some reading to get you started:
How to Recalibrate Your Tesla Battery to Regain Range
Learn How To Recalibrate Your Tesla Battery To Show Correct Range
Tesla battery management system (BMS) calibration

if you still are wanting to "know more" have a read on this thread right here. It will put you to sleep.
Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

1. that value shown is not to be relied upon for calculating battery degradation.
2. All batteries degrade over time, the number of cycles, the speed of the charging, how high you charge it all make a difference as do things like temperature and age.
3. All things being equal the degradation occurs at a higher rate in the early life then slows down dramatically as time goes on until it gets below like 75% or so when it speeds up agains
4. This all is further complicated by the battery chemistry which also varies.

Just to add to OP

Feb 2022 MYP, 12k miles - I am seeing exactly the same information at 90% SoC = 257 miles

I've tried the BMS calibration as well as Battery Leveling techniques, and mixed in with daily deep sleep (turn off Sentry). None of that changed anything (if anything it definitely wasn't healthy charging to 100% and discharging to < 10%). At this point won't try to figure it out and listen to others, just drive and enjoy the car.

Just to add to OP

Feb 2022 MYP, 12k miles - I am seeing exactly the same information at 90% SoC = 257 miles

I've tried the BMS calibration as well as Battery Leveling techniques, and mixed in with daily deep sleep (turn off Sentry). None of that changed anything (if anything it definitely wasn't healthy charging to 100% and discharging to < 10%). At this point won't try to figure it out and listen to others, just drive and enjoy the car.
I've got the same results.

Just drive and enjoy. ;)

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
I'm at 13,108 miles in four months on a MYP, about 99% Supercharged. The average energy is 270 Wh/mi and 90% is 256 miles.

Right now, I'm at 90% at 256 miles at a Chargepoint.

Yours seems normal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220814-204655_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220814-204655_Tesla.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
i read somewhere that you should charge your battery to 100% every few months to balance them and to get a more accurate range.
I was going on a long trip and wanted to do it but no matter what I did to schedule a departure the car started to charge as soon as i plugged it in.

i read somewhere that you should charge your battery to 100% every few months to balance them and to get a more accurate range.
I was going on a long trip and wanted to do it but no matter what I did to schedule a departure the car started to charge as soon as i plugged it in.
I had the same issue. I just set a timer from now on if/when I need a specific charge at a specific time if going beyond 80%. tried 3x and always started charging and reached max charge well before desired time....