Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks in advance.

I love my MYP but to be quite honest the sound system is slightly lacking. I’m used to subwoofers under my butt in my M5, and I am really big on just wow audio systems.

Has anyone here updated all of the speakers or put in a new subwoofer? Anyone install sound proofing in the trunk around the sub? My end goal is to upgrade the speakers, but for such a popular car, there is very little information on installing speakers / wiring on a model Y. Anything to look out for, drilling etc. coding, electrical stuff. Maybe upgrade only certain speakers. I’m planning on having a professional do it, either in NY or Southern Ontario. Any insight would be very appreciated!!

My next question is audio sources. I’ve seen a few suggestions on downloading flaac files to a thumb drive and having the Tesla music player play the files, are there any updates solutions? Man is give a lot just to have offline Spotify cd quality music… I have a tidal subscription but the buffering is unbearable, and the interface makes me want to start using electric hand dryers again.

Is there any possible way to plug my phone in, android or iPhone and play music via USB? Not via Bluetooth. I’d really appreciate any insight.. I just want nice moosic on my way to work :(

PS: don’t get my wrong the MYP sound system is not bad at all, under any standard. But it just doesn’t wow me, the car is setup perfectly for really nice acoustics and i want to use it.

Cheers

Reactions: MashinBenzin
No, I have the Bang & Olufsen, it's a 2016. Sounds great great to me. It's very full sounding and well rounded. I don't even use Bluetooth. I download lossless audio directly to my phone, use apple music lossless and plug my phone directly into the USB port, it works great. I actually have an LG phone dedicated only for music playing in the M5.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Thanks in advance.

I love my MYP but to be quite honest the sound system is slightly lacking. I’m used to subwoofers under my butt in my M5, and I am really big on just wow audio systems.

Has anyone here updated all of the speakers or put in a new subwoofer? Anyone install sound proofing in the trunk around the sub? My end goal is to upgrade the speakers, but for such a popular car, there is very little information on installing speakers / wiring on a model Y. Anything to look out for, drilling etc. coding, electrical stuff. Maybe upgrade only certain speakers. I’m planning on having a professional do it, either in NY or Southern Ontario. Any insight would be very appreciated!!

My next question is audio sources. I’ve seen a few suggestions on downloading flaac files to a thumb drive and having the Tesla music player play the files, are there any updates solutions? Man is give a lot just to have offline Spotify cd quality music… I have a tidal subscription but the buffering is unbearable, and the interface makes me want to start using electric hand dryers again.

Is there any possible way to plug my phone in, android or iPhone and play music via USB? Not via Bluetooth. I’d really appreciate any insight.. I just want nice moosic on my way to work :(

PS: don’t get my wrong the MYP sound system is not bad at all, under any standard. But it just doesn’t wow me, the car is setup perfectly for really nice acoustics and i want to use it.

Cheers
Light Harmonic makes aftermarket speaker kit for the car. Most folks say just do the front door swap. Light Harmonic also offers a kit with tweeters and mids for the front dash as well, although the kit comes with 3 speakers each for the dash. Problem is, AFAIK Tesla has eliminated the center channel speaker in the dash.
https://www.lightharmonic.com/product-page/tesla-model-y-ultimate-speaker-system-nine-9-speakers

Get a semi large nvme drive and enclosure, and put your collection on it in FLAC ftw. USB sticks will get hammered to death by sentry, they tend to die. I've played SACD 5.1 to 24-192, stupid high bitrate and its played w/o issue.

A couple of things
  • Before you start dropping money on any hardware updates, I think you need to take a look at software. Specifically, make sure the source of the files you are using are good to start with. Once music is compressed, the quality is lost, so converting a 128 file to lossless FLAC is still a crappy file. Find a good copy of something you like, RIP it to lossless FLAC and see what that sounds like.
  • The ONLY way to get a lossless audio signal into your car is playing from a USB drive: anything else is subject to degradation. Even if you have a service like Tidal HiFi or Amazon HD, the only way to get it is through your phone, which you stream to your car via BT and the codecs used compress the heck out of the signal.
  • Stick flash drives are not automatically bad: I used one for music and another for Sentry for two years before I switched to an SSD (Samsung T7) for increased capacity. I would NEVER buy one off Amazon: I used the SanDisk CZ600 Cruzer Glide USB 3.0 256 GB Flash Drive from Costco (used to be $30 but not sure if they carry them any more).
  • If you are still convinced you need a hardware upgrade want a professional to handle it for you, you will do no better than Reus Audio. If we weren't on opposite ends of the country, I would invite you over for a listen. Yes, they are based in California, but Clifford makes frequent trips around the country to do installs, so its worth a conversation.

A couple of things
  • Before you start dropping money on any hardware updates, I think you need to take a look at software. Specifically, make sure the source of the files you are using are good to start with. Once music is compressed, the quality is lost, so converting a 128 file to lossless FLAC is still a crappy file. Find a good copy of something you like, RIP it to lossless FLAC and see what that sounds like.
  • The ONLY way to get a lossless audio signal into your car is playing from a USB drive: anything else is subject to degradation. Even if you have a service like Tidal HiFi or Amazon HD, the only way to get it is through your phone, which you stream to your car via BT and the codecs used compress the heck out of the signal.
  • Stick flash drives are not automatically bad: I used one for music and another for Sentry for two years before I switched to an SSD (Samsung T7) for increased capacity. I would NEVER buy one off Amazon: I used the SanDisk CZ600 Cruzer Glide USB 3.0 256 GB Flash Drive from Costco (used to be $30 but not sure if they carry them any more).
  • If you are still convinced you need a hardware upgrade want a professional to handle it for you, you will do no better than Reus Audio. If we weren't on opposite ends of the country, I would invite you over for a listen. Yes, they are based in California, but Clifford makes frequent trips around the country to do installs, so its worth a conversation.

Sorry for the late reply, just wanted to say thank you for the advice. I use a T7 SSD from day one, and I pay for Tidal just for the Tesla. I downloaded the files offline to the SSD, and it does help absolutely. However it just does not cut it.

I’m not going to lie, it’s purely for pleasure. On my drive to work everyday I listen to loud music to get me pumped for work, you have to show up pumped haha.

Cheers

Reactions: Kevy Baby
I’m not going to lie, it’s purely for pleasure. On my drive to work everyday I listen to loud music to get me pumped for work, you have to show up pumped haha.

Oh, I 100% get this! That's why I dropped a lot of money into my sound system. Between Auto Pilot and my music, I look forward to my 25-60 minute commute every day - it's my bliss. I know it's not for everyone, but to me, it has been worth every penny.

I just got my 2023 Model Y LR and I am sorry to say I have the high end audio bug as well. I am planning an Alpine F#1 Staus system and I just learned of the 16V battery change Tesla made late last year.

Last edited by a moderator: