Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y P vs Rivian R1S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's very disheartening to hear when you consider my 2015 Model S with AP1 works flawlessly on the freeway, keeping the car dead center, rarely phantom brakes, and stops and starts super smoothly in traffic. I think it may have to do with removing radar from the systems. But I'm not sure.
@jmcdono362 Well I'm sure you know AP1 is an entirely different system from Tesla-developed AP2+. Radar is surely useful for accurate distance judging, but it's no surprise that AP1 behaves differently even if it's mostly using the same kind of inputs for basic TACC/ACC (forward-facing radar and camera).

I remember being very impressed by TACC in AP1 loaners. Of course I'd not used any other ACC systems yet then to compare with, but I don't doubt AP1 TACC is better than my new VO Tesla's TACC.

AP2 was worse when it first came out but it's software has been greatly improved over the years. I never owned an AP2.x car either but have also had them as loaners, and in recent years I've thought their TACC functionality was pretty good, better than VO TACC.

Do tell on the Ebike. Have had most all bikes but never an Ebike. Seems like they have gotten up to speed in the market.
Check out Hi Power Cycles. They build crazy fast e-bikes capable of hitting 45-50MPH and have been around since 2008. I have no affliation with them, just seen their products when I was in Los Angeles. All their bikes and batteries are hand built in the USA.

Last edited:
That's very disheartening to hear when you consider my 2015 Model S with AP1 works flawlessly on the freeway, keeping the car dead center, rarely phantom brakes, and stops and starts super smoothly in traffic. I think it may have to do with removing radar from the systems. But I'm not sure.

FSD/HW3 is way more safety conscious than the what we had with AP1. So it's to be expected that you'll get more phantom braking. But, the massive level of phantom braking that we saw being reported with Tesla vision points to fact that they rushed removing the radar before the SW was ready. It did get better as time went on, and I think they mostly have it ironed out. It's still more than AP1, but its probably a lot safer too.

As to smoothness in stop and go. I reported what I experienced where it was fine until some update when they broke it, and it never got fixed. I'm not sure what percentage of Tesla owners have issues with it. I certainly did with my 2018 Model 3 Performance running the latest version of FSD Beta SW, and I believe it was broken before I even switched to FSD Beta. All Tesla really needs to do is use their own safety score to judge it. :)

Reactions: jmcdono362