Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y P vs Rivian R1S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
R1S is roughly the size of a 2004 Tahoe. So, full size SUV. Elon is right, and it'll be interesting to see how quickly Rivian can ramp up its production. That will make or break the company. It's clear that they're at the very beginning and struggling a bit, but what matters is how well they'll be doing 6 months from now. I hope they are since I don't feel like waiting til 2024 to get my R1S.

Real world testing suggests Rivian vehicles get 40% lower range than EPA estimates.

(Since we’re apparently into unfair comparisons between beta trucks and actual production vehicles)

Weird, I don’t see the R1S on that list. Maybe because it doesn’t exist as anything other than a prototype or two?

Even the R1T is still in hand-built 1 off territory.
Dude don't get me started. Note that the poster you quoted is really stretching things with his choice to go with the MYP. The MYP in Edmunds test is their longterm test car. That MYP has been flogged in dozens of videos. That poor thing has been launched countless times so it is obviously not comparable to a new vehicle. Just goes to show one's intent...

Reactions: nate704 and WhiteWi
The R1T has been released to reviewers, the R1S has not.

Setting aside the fact that we were talking about the R1S.

There are only about 200 R1Ts in existence. All but ~5 of them are owned by Rivian employees or early investors. Edmunds got access to a review unit chosen by Rivian. Then they tested it against a randomly chosen Tesla which was months old. You don’t see any issues with this?

That’s not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Reactions: nate704
Wouldn’t the tax credits be the same next year once the BBB passes?
It sounds like the BBB is eliminating the previous incentive program and replacing it with the new one. That means the 200k vehicle limit is gone and the vehicle price caps and income caps will apply.

So if you make more than… $250k (might be 400k it’s gone back and forth)? You will no longer be eligible. Also, SUVs and trucks over $80k are no longer eligible. I kind of gave up on tracking it because it seems to shift so much. Until the senate and house both sign off its still up in the air.

Seems likely the income and price caps will remain in one form or another though.

It sounds like the BBB is eliminating the previous incentive program and replacing it with the new one. That means the 200k vehicle limit is gone and the vehicle price caps and income caps will apply.

So if you make more than… $250k (might be 400k it’s gone back and forth)? You will no longer be eligible. Also, SUVs and trucks over $80k are no longer eligible. I kind of gave up on tracking it because it seems to shift so much. Until the senate and house both sign off its still up in the air.

Seems likely the income and price caps will remain in one form or another though.

This is sensible policy. High earners probably won't have their decision to buy an EV or not influenced by the tax break. And EVs no longer need to be high priced vehicles.

Reactions: torifile
It is an additional 8k tax per EV purchase for “high earners” in a bill that already increases their taxes by adjusting the tax table upwards.
More concerning is the vast under-estimate of how much it’s going to cost.

The estimate of how much the program will cost is $10b. Reality is likely to be 20x that, likely more. Tesla sales alone is going to cost the program more than $16b/ year within 3 years.

Even with the caps in place, this is going to be a hugely expensive program.

The estimate of how much the program will cost is $10b. Reality is likely to be 20x that, likely more. Tesla sales alone is going to cost the program more than $16b/ year within 3 years.

True but a drop in the bucket compared to fossils subsidies

Reactions: Ogre
Cry me a river. High income earners will find a way to loophole their way out of paying. They always do.
Nice attitude. Taking advantage of loopholes comes at a much higher income than what we are talking about here. I bet the taxes of folks in early part of the excluded AGI range looks a lot like yours and mine except for a higher percentage of their income in taxes. (And whatever little loopholes they were taking advantage of like Roth conversion is also going away in this bill).

Nice attitude. Taking advantage of loopholes comes at a much higher income than what we are talking about here. I bet the taxes of folks in early part of the excluded AGI range looks a lot like yours and mine except for a higher percentage of their income in taxes. (And whatever little loopholes they were taking advantage of like Roth conversion is also going away in this bill).
I’m sure it does but the bulk of the revenue we’re talking about comes from those .01% of 1%. My taxes will likely not go up appreciably nor will most people’s.

People just love to complain about taxes. They’re a necessary part of living in a functioning society.

Reactions: Canyonero
Setting aside the fact that we were talking about the R1S.

There are only about 200 R1Ts in existence. All but ~5 of them are owned by Rivian employees or early investors. Edmunds got access to a review unit chosen by Rivian. Then they tested it against a randomly chosen Tesla which was months old. You don’t see any issues with this?

That’s not exactly an apples to apples comparison.
I simply answered your question about why the R1T is on Edmund’s mileage list and the R1S is not. Agreed, it’s not a production vehicle yet and the Edmunds test shouldn’t be construed as such.

Reactions: Ogre
I would not describe my Model Y suspension as “plush”. Maybe “Sporky” a cross between heavy and sporty. It is a fun car to drive and performance is quite good for as big/ heavy as it is. A little weight loss and air suspension would go a long ways though.

Actually, Elon Musk will personally pay for the entire program all by himself with his taxes on exercising stock options earned as employee compensation. If you do the numbers on ordinary income tax for all of those shares based on projected value, the tax could be as high as 200 billion or maybe more. The current round of options should yield 12 to 15 billion in revenue (the reason he is selling stock now to raise the cash). :D