Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y P vs Rivian R1S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me those are totally different vehicles. The R1S looks like a legit off road capable vehicle. The MYs are meant for the street and are very efficient for long trips. That Rivian looks rugged, not aerodynamic. I think the decision would be based on if you ever needed to go off road/deal with a LOT of snow, or take relatively short trips. The MY is more of a long haul family SUV

To me those are totally different vehicles. The R1S looks like a legit off road capable vehicle. The MYs are meant for the street and are very efficient for long trips. That Rivian looks rugged, not aerodynamic. I think the decision would be based on if you ever needed to go off road/deal with a LOT of snow, or take relatively short trips. The MY is more of a long haul family SUV
Yeah I tend to agree. Even though they compete within $5k pricewise, they're for a different user. The Rivian is a lot less efficient on a kwh/m measure but still a more energy efficient people mover than an ICE equivalent. The fit/finish reports at least from the reviewer vehicles sounded high quality. Let's see if they can ramp production and maintain that quality bar, and how they hold up over time.

In terms of long haul, I'd partially agree at least in our case. This would be a solid replacement for my wife's Highlander, which we use for cross-state treks several times / year (family). The Rivian ticks almost every box even in its stock/base form except one, which is charging. Relying solely on non-Tesla charging infra is still a dealbreaker for me. When they open it up (Tesla), this looks more attractive.

The Y doesn't quite meet our needs because it would be difficult to fit all our stuff and dogs without creating problems. Having a third row would work for occupants but fail the cargo test, yes even with the frunk and rear hidden trunk.

Tempted to put a deposit on a Rivian, its fully refundable, and believe they price lock like Tesla. It should also fall under the SUV cap for the possible EV incentives.

Yeah I tend to agree. Even though they compete within $5k pricewise, they're for a different user. The Rivian is a lot less efficient on a kwh/m measure but still a more energy efficient people mover than an ICE equivalent. The fit/finish reports at least from the reviewer vehicles sounded high quality. Let's see if they can ramp production and maintain that quality bar, and how they hold up over time.

In terms of long haul, I'd partially agree at least in our case. This would be a solid replacement for my wife's Highlander, which we use for cross-state treks several times / year (family). The Rivian ticks almost every box even in its stock/base form except one, which is charging. Relying solely on non-Tesla charging infra is still a dealbreaker for me. When they open it up (Tesla), this looks more attractive.

The Y doesn't quite meet our needs because it would be difficult to fit all our stuff and dogs without creating problems. Having a third row would work for occupants but fail the cargo test, yes even with the frunk and rear hidden trunk.

Tempted to put a deposit on a Rivian, its fully refundable, and believe they price lock like Tesla. It should also fall under the SUV cap for the possible EV incentives.

I have a R1S pre order but I don’t believe I have any type of price lock so I wouldn’t assume that to be the case. I believe the language is written in a way to keep it open. Also, probably why it’s a fully refundable deposit versus how Tesla does it.

To me it seems like an great value and that the price is too good to be true. compared to a similar sized EV (model x) it’s like $35k cheaper.

• Helpful
Reactions: Corndart
I have a R1S pre order but I don’t believe I have any type of price lock so I wouldn’t assume that to be the case. I believe the language is written in a way to keep it open. Also, probably why it’s a fully refundable deposit versus how Tesla does it.

To me it seems like an great value and that the price is too good to be true. compared to a similar sized EV (model x) it’s like $35k cheaper.
Honestly the X doesn't do anything for me personally. If they chucked the goofy gullwing doors and boxed out the back a little, it'd be perfect, along with a price cut. I'm fairly frugal, and the idea of spending $100k+ on a car makes me a little queasy, even though financially we could certainly afford one.

If I wasn’t concerned about quality and reliability from an upstart and didn’t have to contend with city driving and parking, I would go for the R1S. It’s comparable to a Model X but much cheaper and in comparison to the Model Y, it’s a higher end, much bigger and more capable vehicle for the price and the interior looks much better.

Reactions: Corndart
If I wasn’t concerned about quality and reliability from an upstart and didn’t have to contend with city driving and parking, I would go for the R1S. It’s comparable to a Model X but much cheaper and in comparison to the Model Y, it’s a higher end, much bigger and more capable vehicle for the price and the interior looks much better.
My logic is getting in the queue now likely means a roughly two year debugging process for earlier adopters should be complete, and lower my risk of being a guinea pig for Rivian.

Honestly the X doesn't do anything for me personally. If they chucked the goofy gullwing doors and boxed out the back a little, it'd be perfect, along with a price cut. I'm fairly frugal, and the idea of spending $100k+ on a car makes me a little queasy, even though financially we could certainly afford one.
Same here. I would prefer to go with a Tesla EV to replace our telluride but the only option is the X. I could overlook the doors and shape if it didn’t cost $105k+. If it was the same price as the R1S then I would maybe go with the X over the R1S due to supercharger network, more EV experience and service center a lot closer to me.

Either way, a lot can change by the time they get to my R1S order which I am guessing won’t be until at least 2024. Who knows what options will be available then.

Y and R1S look dramatically different in size and especially cargo capacity. I’m not sure why you’d even compare them closely since they are in different vehicle classes.

We love our Y but will hold onto our Honda Pilot ICE until a similarly sized EV is available. R1S looks like what the X should have been — a midsize SUV without sci fi doors and supercar performance, at an exorbitant price.

I'm going to enjoy my 2021 MYP until they deliver the R1S in 2023. I would put my order in before or soon after the initial price hike. Unless the 2023 MYP comes with: 0-60 in 2.9 sec. Vented seats with better adjusting seats. Non-beta adaptive cruise control with camera & radar. Air-ride like the X and S. HUD. Auto dim convex side mirrors with blind spot light. Then I'd stay, lol.

I'm going to enjoy my 2021 MYP until they deliver the R1S in 2023. I would put my order in before or soon after the initial price hike. Unless the 2023 MYP comes with: 0-60 in 2.9 sec. Vented seats with better adjusting seats. Non-beta adaptive cruise control with camera & radar. Air-ride like the X and S. HUD. Auto dim convex side mirrors with blind spot light. Then I'd stay, lol.
Then you will be looking at $100k MYP.

Until you can actually get a Rivian to compare to the M Y is a better vehicle!

The Rivian is a higher end vehicle than the 3 or Y in my opinion. Their top speed is about the only disappointment so far, but they still only exist on paper.

Reactions: stcptl
The Rivian is a higher end vehicle than the 3 or Y in my opinion. Their top speed is about the only disappointment so far, but they still only exist on paper.

Didn’t know their top speed was limited to 110 km! Not that anyone should drive at those speeds outside of autobahn type no speed limit roads but I wonder what the reason/rationale behind this was. Perhaps they can increase this with a software update?

On the other hand, the 3 second 0 to 60 time is bonkers for a “standard” non-performance vehicle!

Didn’t know their top speed was limited to 110 km! Not that anyone should drive at those speeds outside of autobahn type no speed limit roads but I wonder what the reason/rationale behind this was. Perhaps they can increase this with a software update?

On the other hand, the 3 second 0 to 60 time is bonkers for a “standard” non-performance vehicle!
That can’t be right. 110 km/h is only 68 MPH. The speed limit on many highways is 70 MPH.

Reactions: Johnny Vector

Maybe above 110mph the pickup style vehicle isn’t as stable / sticking to the ground as they want it to be?

Reactions: tm1v2
No but a 2.9 0-60 car can get to 110 really quick if you like going to a 1/4 mile track. Also getting to 110 passing someone comes really fast In high powered car so I wonder how the power falls off to prevent one from reaching the limit so abruptly, or if it just craps its pants all at once!

I don’t know that I’d ever NEED to go 110. There are lots of things I have that I don’t need like my made to measure Les Paul custom shop!

No but a 2.9 0-60 car can get to 110 really quick if you like going to a 1/4 mile track. Also getting to 110 passing someone comes really fast In high powered car so I wonder how the power falls off to prevent one from reaching the limit so abruptly, or if it just craps its pants all at once!

I don’t know that I’d ever NEED to go 110. There are lots of things I have that I don’t need like my made to measure Les Paul custom shop!
Chances are you'll never kill anyone with your Les Paul though. Shred, perhaps, but not actually kill. Can't really say the same for doing 110 MPH in a 6000 pound truck.

Reactions: stcptl