Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y P vs Rivian R1S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
110 mph limit means there is fundamental design flaw/limitation that they could not solve before launching.
Only if the spec includes a requirement "shall be capable of speeds in excess of 110 MPH". If that requirement doesn't exist, then it does not have a design flaw. And since no production pickup truck ever needs to go that fast, I'd be surprised if it did.

Reactions: boulder.dude
Not going to judge anyone for whom 110 mph max is insufficient, but seriously doubt that it would be a sales inhibitor.

There are plenty of other concerns including delivery velocity and whatever quality issues shake out over the next 12-18 months. Also don't forget that Ford completely bailed on a co-design / adopting their "skateboard", without giving any clarity as to why. Perhaps they know something we don't, or they don't need the assistance, but it does raise some questions.

Guys... the Ford Raptor has a top speed of 107mph

Also, Ford realized it needs to develop its own EVs if it wants to survive. The Rivian play was their "easy button" to not distract the main Ford team from their regular ICE work... Then they realized "whoops, we should probably do that too"

There are probably a lot of reason's for the Ford/Rivian separation. I'm just happy to have more EV investment and competition.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on the Rivians be large or hard to park. They’re similar in size to a Tacoma and those don’t require much skill to park. I’ve been daily driving an F-350 dually w/o 360 cameras for 4 years. If I can park in a Trader Joe’s parking lot in that beast, even the worst driver should be able to park a Rivian with all the 360 cameras and hi tech park assist features.

Ahhh...Teslas biggest fanboy has made an appearance @WhiteWi.

The Rivian is EPA estimated at 316 miles while the X, with 7 seats is rated at 347 miles. Is paying more than $1,000 per EPA estimated mile worth buying the X for? Only you can make that decision.

The R1S has estimated deliveries in January 2022. The Model X is November 2022. Both are estimated, so as usual they can change.

I'm not saying the X is a bad vehicle and I'm not saying the R1S is a great vehicle. But if you have comparable vehicles in the same class, one is $35K more than the other. It's fair to say that the one that costs $35K better be a hell of a lot better or it won't sell as well.

Oh yeah, I forgot the R1S has quad motors for the $35K less too.

True EV fans should embrace competition, it will just push Tesla to be better and bring their prices down. I'm not sure why any consumer would hate that.

Digging in the crates to pull this semi older post out, but its spot on. I do like the X's (and have a res in) look more than the R1S but I configured an adventure package spec, limestone exterior, and ocean coast interior with 7 seats for 77k? 30k less than the X?

If the R1S takes flight, it could be an X and YP killer, IMO.

Reactions: stcptl
Digging in the crates to pull this semi older post out, but its spot on. I do like the X's (and have a res in) look more than the R1S but I configured an adventure package spec, limestone exterior, and ocean coast interior with 7 seats for 77k? 30k less than the X?

If the R1S takes flight, it could be an X and YP killer, IMO.
I've almost pushed the button for a reservation on a R1S a few times, but the things I can't get past at the moment are the $1k interest free loan I'm giving them for 2 years (or longer), the fact the prices aren't locked in and are just an estimate, and the uncertainty of charging (duration for a battery that big plus on-the-road options).

My ultimate grand plan is take delivery of a MY in the next month or three to replace my 11 year old 5-series, while placing a reservation for a R1S. Then in 3 years replace the JGC with it or the MY, at which point I could trade the MY in for an S, e-tron, or ?? go back to a sporty car and SUV for towing/off-road.

If the price point holds... it would be awesome. I'm not sure it will, and the configuration I want, which has the ventilated seats, only has a small amount of wiggle before it's over the proposed $80k cap for the new EV credit.

Last edited:
I'm almost pushed the button for a reservation on a R1S a few times, but the things I can't get past at the moment are the $1k interest free loan I'm giving them for 2 years (or longer), the fact the prices aren't locked in and are just an estimate, and the uncertainty of charging (duration for a battery that big plus on-the-road options).

My ultimate grand plan is take delivery of a MY in the next month or three to replace my 11 year old 5-series, while placing a reservation for a R1S. Then in 3 years replace the JGC with it or the MY, at which point I could trade the MY in for an S, e-tron, or ?? go back to a sporty car and SUV for towing/off-road.

If the price point holds... it would be awesome. I'm not sure it will, and the configuration I want, which the ventilated seats, only have a small amount of wiggle before it's over the proposed $80k cap for the new EV credit.

I can 100% agree with you. I plan on dumping my X reservation and riding it out with my August built 21 MYP, which is in the shop after being run into by a deer, lol! Deer Head Butted MY…Diminished Value Claim?). Ill order the R1S most likely mid 2022. I cant lie as I havent paid too much attention to Rivian, minus the stock. I have no clue what their R1S timeline is, but hearing you state a year or two... sucks.

I can 100% agree with you. I plan on dumping my X reservation and riding it out with my August built 21 MYP, which is in the shop after being run into by a deer, lol! Deer Head Butted MY…Diminished Value Claim?). Ill order the R1S most likely mid 2022. I cant lie as I havent paid too much attention to Rivian, minus the stock. I have no clue what their R1S timeline is, but hearing you state a year or two... sucks.

I reserved an R1S a few months ago and am expecting delivery.. maybe mid-2023.. lol.

There was one positive in reserving a R1S earlier... access to 175 shares at the IPO at $78. Dump it a few days later when it doubled.