Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y P vs Rivian R1S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw my first Rivian up close yesterday, in a parking lot I’m Boulder. Huge! Looks much bigger than MY. It was surrounded by gawkers. (There were a half dozen MYs nearby that were being ignored.)
The size is another drawback for some people (like me) but a benefit for others. Most pickups have this "problem" so the Rivian isn't unique.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Might want to watch this regarding Rivian

A tesla hype channel calling for the decline of Rivian primarily based on the reason that Rivian isn't Tesla was a painful watch. To be sure, Rivian has had a few head scratching moves, like a second factory already and the price hike disaster, but they have the cash so might as well put into assests i guess. I was interesting the video, thats pretty current, is still seemingly in full believe the cyber truck people preordered is going to be $40k (price they used). I have a feeling the cyber truck cancelations that happen once a price is published will be rationalized differently than the how they characterized Rivian's cancelations.

Thanks for a channel to check out next time I'm frustrated with Tesla and need a pick-me-up.

A tesla hype channel calling for the decline of Rivian primarily based on the reason that Rivian isn't Tesla was a painful watch. To be sure, Rivian has had a few head scratching moves, like a second factory already and the price hike disaster, but they have the cash so might as well put into assests i guess. I was interesting the video, thats pretty current, is still seemingly in full believe the cyber truck people preordered is going to be $40k (price they used). I have a feeling the cyber truck cancelations that happen once a price is published will be rationalized differently than the how they characterized Rivian's cancelations.

Thanks for a channel to check out next time I'm frustrated with Tesla and need a pick-me-up.
The video was pretty fair and nuanced. It highlighted the OBVIOUS problems with Rivian and some not so obvious like their production issues and their decision to rollout multiple plants. This direction will hurt them later as their product is overly complex which will with their factory design will severely limit their ability to pivot. On top of all that Rivian still has major leadership issues, witness the pricing fiasco. The partnership with Amazon while great on paper could hurt them down the line as they have to split their resources to tackle both production lines. And then on top of all this they are again under questionable leadership starting a second plant. It pains me to watch Rivian go down this rabbit hole. They have a fabulous product but clearly no one there thought about the difficulty in ramping production to the level that it clearly needed. :rolleyes:

I have a R1S order (ETA early 2023 delivery) but let's face reality.. these EV trucks are going to fail in the market with the existing charging network (even Teslas). Folks will be driving and hauling stuff with trucks out in less urban areas where there is no charging. They are going to have 150 miles of range max - either because they are towing or driving 75-80mph.

I want my R1S for the space that the Y does not have and I don't want an X. But it's not going on long weekend trips. It's either a short-trip SUV (with home charging) or a long-road tripper (sticking to interstate with DC charging). Charging inbetween interstates... sucks.

Reactions: eCharcoal

Attachments

• 7C4AE9EA-2342-4AC7-BF30-5E791168CE1C.png
    7C4AE9EA-2342-4AC7-BF30-5E791168CE1C.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
Reactions: afscotch
@Horty4
Two R1S SUVs (one for CEO, and the other for CFO), no public review. most likely those two are being tested to fix bugs and issues instead of being on the roads with real average people, hence it doesn't exist and only on paper until they actually deliver to real customers who can actually drive and use them.

Reactions: WhiteWi
@Horty4
Two R1S SUVs (one for CEO, and the other for CFO), no public review. most likely those two are being tested to fix bugs and issues instead of being on the roads with real average people, hence it doesn't exist and only on paper until they actually deliver to real customers who can actually drive and use them.
So two more than cyber truck :)

Fair enough! =)

Also, it will be so funny when 1000s of CTs roll out of Giga Texas assembly line and still two R1S's in Rivian CEO/CFO's drive way or factory testing facility.

Between the S and the CT I think it's 50/50 on who will be delivering to 'real' customers (Rivian not delivering to employees, and Tesla not delivering Austin cars to ???). It's exciting... and while there is probably some overlap in R1S/R1T and CT customers, the real threat should be felt by the ICE manufactures.

One of the 'reasons' Rivian is going to fail from the video above is that it's manufacturing is growing too fast and isn't Tesla (whatever that means), inferring it wasn't agile (when you are provisioning to scale to 1M+ year, not sure how much agility is actually required). Yet, they made two R1S, and it is supposed to be 85% common with the R1T, so the ability to flex/adopt the line must be fairly robust? Also, I saw a pic with a seemingly random set of colors in the manufacturing process, so maybe they aren't as color batch constrained as Tesla? To be fair, it wasn't known from the picture if the colors were painted in the same order as they were shown in the picture (think they were 'drying'), so maybe they are also constrained by batch paint jobs.

Between the S and the CT I think it's 50/50 on who will be delivering to 'real' customers (Rivian not delivering to employees, and Tesla not delivering Austin cars to ???). It's exciting... and while there is probably some overlap in R1S/R1T and CT customers, the real threat should be felt by the ICE manufactures.

One of the 'reasons' Rivian is going to fail from the video above is that it's manufacturing is growing too fast and isn't Tesla (whatever that means), inferring it wasn't agile (when you are provisioning to scale to 1M+ year, not sure how much agility is actually required). Yet, they made two R1S, and it is supposed to be 85% common with the R1T, so the ability to flex/adopt the line must be fairly robust? Also, I saw a pic with a seemingly random set of colors in the manufacturing process, so maybe they aren't as color batch constrained as Tesla? To be fair, it wasn't known from the picture if the colors were painted in the same order as they were shown in the picture (think they were 'drying'), so maybe they are also constrained by batch paint jobs.

Folks have been assigned Guides and R1S deliveries are supposedly happening in April/May

I personally know somebody with an R1T (not R1S) delivery in April/May also. I don't know how or where in Orlando but I want to tag along :)

Rivian is shipping... they are just slow a ramping up production.

Reactions: Horty4

It's manufacturing is growing too fast, wtf does that?

Does it mean that they only delivered a thousand or so vehicles and they were hampered by the semi shortage? They produce and deliver a pittance of vehicles yet they get stopped by semi shortages? Meanwhile Tesla delivers over 900K some odd cars in that time in the midst of the semi shortages. It really reads like you are just taking want to want and putting down that video cuz you only read or hear what you want. As far as agility Tesla sets the bar in that category from OTA, to implementing improvements in hours, to inventing a new battery cell type to create a whole new chassis platform, aka the structural battery/chassis. This is where all other makers legacy or newcomer is gonna get stuck, because they cannot change direction to a new paradigm. As the video suggests the structural battery pack and chassis will be the leading edge vs the skateboard chassis so those that can't barely scale production, in the midst of production hell have no ability to pivot.

Reactions: nate704