Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y P vs Rivian R1S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's messing up Rivian is the Amazon Electric Delivery Van contract. A few have been spotted in the wild now...

Rivian is obligated to deliver a number of them to Amazon by a certain date. They can backburn consumer orders to keep from being sued by Amazon.
Easy peazy they only need to build 10,000 Amazon trucks by the end of 2022. The remaining 90,000 aren’t due for several years while they build the pickup and SUV. I see no issues with that production plan……

Reactions: nate704
It's always funny when people come in to this TESLA forum singing the praises of another EV and are surprised when they are dumped on... :cool: I mean, it IS a TESLA forum. I suspect same would happen to someone who sings the praises of Tesla on a Rivian forum.

I certainly hope Rivian doesn't fail (which isn't really something I can foresee, simply because of the Amazon backing). The more EV's the better. And certainly, Rivian and Tesla are not direct competitors from a market segment perspective - at least not until the Cybertruck starts production, whenever that is.

It's always funny when people come in to this TESLA forum singing the praises of another EV and are surprised when they are dumped on... :cool: I mean, it IS a TESLA forum. I suspect same would happen to someone who sings the praises of Tesla on a Rivian forum.

I certainly hope Rivian doesn't fail (which isn't really something I can foresee, simply because of the Amazon backing). The more EV's the better. And certainly, Rivian and Tesla are not direct competitors from a market segment perspective - at least not until the Cybertruck starts production, whenever that is.
I have both a Tesla Y and a R1S on order. But yes I will be defensive of false information.

Last edited:
Folks have been assigned Guides and R1S deliveries are supposedly happening in April/May

I personally know somebody with an R1T (not R1S) delivery in April/May also. I don't know how or where in Orlando but I want to tag along :)

Rivian is shipping... they are just slow a ramping up production.
I know... 50/50 was tongue in cheek for the folks that expect/want/hoping Rivian to fail because they aren't Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: voxel and WhiteWi
I have both a Tesla Y and a R1S on order. But yes I will be defensive of false information.

Is this false too?

66A6F285-D55D-4284-BAC6-426C379D9D4D.png

And this is a direct representation of what exactly? It’s pointless to go back and forth like this. Time will show who is right and wrong and by then it’ll all be forgotten who was arguing what. Rivian is a newer start up. Being hypercritical of a new company in trying times can only hold so much truth. Having said that, being in a Tesla forum I should have known there will be more naysayers than people wanting more EVs to succeed. Rivian will succeed without a doubt. And R1S will be in the hands of non employees this year. I’m ok with that.

And this is a direct representation of what exactly? It’s pointless to go back and forth like this. Time will show who is right and wrong and by then it’ll all be forgotten who was arguing what. Rivian is a newer start up. Being hypercritical of a new company in trying times can only hold so much truth. Having said that, being in a Tesla forum I should have known there will be more naysayers than people wanting more EVs to succeed. Rivian will succeed without a doubt. And R1S will be in the hands of non employees this year. I’m ok with that.
Love Rivian looks and what they offer but doubtful about how fast they can scale. Once again non of EV products compete with each other at the moment. The competition is against ice sales. More EVs we have the better it is for everyone.

Cyber Truck - way more than 2
Semi - Way more than 2
Nikola - Way more than 2
F-150 - Way more than 2
Silverado - Way more than 2

do you see the common thing from the list above?
Way more? Sounds like factual evidence. I just proved your point of more than 2 R1S. Where are you going now? Trying to inflate another argument? Your original point is false. As I stated

Way more? Sounds like factual evidence. I just proved your point of more than 2 R1S. Where are you going now? Trying to inflate another argument? Your original point is false. As I stated
Still not getting my point.
Only two R1S "delivered" to (non customers), which is basically same as having multiple non-customer cars I mentioned above. (I think Nikola delivered 2 BEV trucks to actual customer last year).

Reactions: WhiteWi
I'll say this about Rivian:

I'm rooting for them, as a few of my former colleagues are still there but a few things give me pause about the company as an investor:

I was with a group of engineers at an auto show. After looking over Rivian there for about a hour (GM/Ford etc teams were all doing the same) one of our EV leads who I respect told me in no uncertain terms 'there's no way we can do this for under $90K.'

Then I read about this little nugget in a lawsuit a former Rivian executive has brought against the company:

'Schwab (plaintiff) said she warned executives that Rivian’s vehicles were underpriced but she was rebuffed. Behl later agreed Rivian would need to raise vehicle prices after a male executive raised the issue with him, the lawsuit states.'

As I stated, I really want the company to thrive. But I would wait a year or two to even think about investing or purchasing one.

I'll say this about Rivian:

I'm rooting for them, as a few of my former colleagues are still there but a few things give me pause about the company as an investor:

I was with a group of engineers at an auto show. After looking over Rivian there for about a hour (GM/Ford etc teams were all doing the same) one of our EV leads who I respect told me in no uncertain terms 'there's no way we can do this for under $90K.'

Then I read about this little nugget in a lawsuit a former Rivian executive has brought against the company:

'Schwab (plaintiff) said she warned executives that Rivian’s vehicles were underpriced but she was rebuffed. Behl later agreed Rivian would need to raise vehicle prices after a male executive raised the issue with him, the lawsuit states.'

As I stated, I really want the company to thrive. But I would wait a year or two to even think about investing or purchasing one.
Makes the pre-orders before 1March all the better. It doesn't surprise me there is a loss associated with early deliveries as they get their feet under them and try to stabilize/normalize processes, supply chain, etc, but they sorta forgot about their price in the configurator it seems like, then jacked up 20% for all pre-orders. It truly surprised me they walked that back.

Since they have a ton of cash on the books maybe they can weather all those presale orders that are underwater, or it will at least light a fire to drive down costs as fast as possible... or margin will be the primary criteria used for customer delivery sequencing so later orders will be delivered before older orders.

Reactions: voxel
There definitely seems to be a good number of R1Ts that are going to customers, if you check Rivian forums. There are also some R1S customers that have gotten a guide, and they have been told they'll be getting it in a month or two.

That said, I think it's a odd that we haven't gotten any hands-on previews about the R1S. Up until the R1T deliveries (which seemed to be going to employees), there were tons of events where journalists got to drive R1Ts, as well as plenty of events where anyone could sit in (but not drive) them.

As for the wait time, I think you'll be waiting a while no matter what you want. Even the X has you waiting well into 2023 (unless you spring for the Plaid or $5500 wheels).

Reactions: Horty4