Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y P vs Rivian R1S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn’t Elon opening up the super chargers to everyone? I think the better charging network aspect of the conversation is about to go Kablooey.
He suggested they were. But it sounds like the terms will be interesting.

From the way they are doing it in the Netherlands, non-Teslas will have the choice of paying a significantly higher amount per kWh or joining a Tesla membership or about $13/ month and paying the Tesla rate.

R1S reservation holder here (and disclaimer Rivian IPO purchaser too). Completely different cars.

The Model Y is small. It's RAV4 sized.
The R1S is closer to a 4Runner. Seats 7 easily. I think it has a 135 kWh (also 180 kWh in the future) battery too which is almost 2x the size of the Model Y.

I'd compare the Model X to the R1S.

Reactions: Daekwan and Ogre
I don’t think Rivian will ever build out their own charger network.

There might be one other non-Tesla network by the time this shakes out.

If/ when Tesla opens up their chargers to the rest of the world, this will all shift and change.

Rivian will. Their plan was to build them in outdoorsy areas where Rivians would off-road so they are NOT competing with Superchargers.

Rivian will. Their plan was to build them in outdoorsy areas where Rivians would off-road so they are NOT competing with Superchargers.
You need to get to those places. To get there, you’ll have to take roads which are best crossed using a network of chargers.

Either Rivian will need to build that network (they can’t, not for some time), or they will have to lean on someone else’s network.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
R1S reservation holder here (and disclaimer Rivian IPO purchaser too). Completely different cars.

The Model Y is small. It's RAV4 sized.
The R1S is closer to a 4Runner. Seats 7 easily. I think it has a 135 kWh (also 180 kWh in the future) battery too which is almost 2x the size of the Model Y.

I'd compare the Model X to the R1S.
Isn’t the Y closer to 4Runner than RAV4 in dimensions? Of course R1S is much longer.

• Disagree
Reactions: thesmokingman
Just cut to the chase and order the Cybertruck. Swimming with room for 5 people, gear storage for days, and you can put the R1S and the Model Y on a trailer and tow them. If you’ve got time to wait 2 years for the R1S, you can wait a year or two more for the Cybertruck.

(I kid)

(mostly)

Isn’t the Y closer to 4Runner than RAV4 in dimensions? Of course R1S is much longer.

No

Length (in)Width (in)Height (in)
R1S200.881.8 (mirrors folded)77.3
4Runner19176 (without mirrors)72
Sequoia20580 (without mirrors)77
Model X19879 (without mirrors)66
Lexus GX19274 (without mirrors)74

While the Model Y is the size of a RAV4 it has more space - however the R1S is much larger and should be compared to a Model X.

For me, the extra room isn’t that relevant, it’s nice to have but Y is sufficient and R1S is a bonus

Love my Y but it is small. The next step up is a Model X which is nearly 2X the cost or for another $10-15K you can get a Rivian (bonus that it comes in yellow too - lol).

1636671848333.png

Reactions: cusetownusa
I have a Model Y LR coming and will be looking to replace my wife’s telluride at somepoint. The R1S is at the top of the list. Would be the model X but way more expensive. I am hoping by the time I could even get my hands on and R1S (2024?) Tesla will have the supercharger network open to all.

This assumes the R1S lives up to the hype and that they don’t jack up the price. Price seems low for what you get.

I struggle to justify the price on any of these cars. My Model Y at $53k made me cringe and the same car would be $60k now. If the Rivian is getting the incentive but the Model Y isn’t, they are only a few $$ different.

I struggle to justify the price on any of these cars. My Model Y at $53k made me cringe and the same car would be $60k now. If the Rivian is getting the incentive but the Model Y isn’t, they are only a few $$ different.

Honestly think it is the price of the batteries and the warranty required by law/mandate on them (8 years?) that keeps them high PLUS chip/component shortages that require Tesla to air ship them instead of slow-boat them.

A LFP based Model Y Standard Range that goes 230 miles would be perfect for most families. If Tesla could build it for $40K (I think they could) they would sell a million or two. Right now they don't have the factory capacity.

Planning to put in a reservation for the Rivian, but happy with my MYP until that production slot comes up. I prefer the exterior and interior design of the Rivian and it is more capable in ways that matter to me (usable 7-passenger seating, off-road capable). The Rivian suspension design is also much, much more sophisticated than Tesla--similar to the configuration McLaren puts on its road cars--and I like that their tire setups have real sidewalls.

Charging infrastructure is less concerning. I think charging networks in 2 years will look much more different than they do now, and Tesla probably will open its network to chase than federal money.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Honestly think it is the price of the batteries and the warranty required by law/mandate on them (8 years?) that keeps them high PLUS chip/component shortages that require Tesla to air ship them instead of slow-boat them.

A LFP based Model Y Standard Range that goes 230 miles would be perfect for most families. If Tesla could build it for $40K (I think they could) they would sell a million or two. Right now they don't have the factory capacity.
These prices have little to do with Tesla‘s cost of manufacturing. Tesla has 30% margins. When Texas comes online Model Y costs will go down even more as the new 4680 cars come into the mix.

Tesla is using pricing to try and control their wait list length. Once they get to where there is some semblance of balance between manufacturing and demand, then we’ll see what happens to pricing.

Prices will stay high as long as people keep getting in line to pay those prices. Only once the line length gets a little shorter will they re-introduce the Model Y SR.