Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y P vs Rivian R1S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My global apocalypse vehicle is my E-Bike.

It's a highly efficient mode of transportation
It's quiet
You can put it into negative assist where its really intense regen. In fact you can crank it so high that its hard to pedal downhill. So I could generate energy using human power.
The charging requirements aren't that much so I could charge it from the sun rather painlessly. In fact I've thought about going on a long bike journey where I did exactly this.

In the actual event of apocalypse I wouldn't last long considering I don't own a gun, and I don't have a good emergency supply of food/water. Anyone from Rural America would frown at my lack of preparedness.
Which ebike do you have?

My global apocalypse vehicle is my E-Bike.

It's a highly efficient mode of transportation
It's quiet
You can put it into negative assist where its really intense regen. In fact you can crank it so high that its hard to pedal downhill. So I could generate energy using human power.
The charging requirements aren't that much so I could charge it from the sun rather painlessly. In fact I've thought about going on a long bike journey where I did exactly this.

In the actual event of apocalypse I wouldn't last long considering I don't own a gun, and I don't have a good emergency supply of food/water. Anyone from Rural America would frown at my lack of preparedness.
Do tell on the Ebike. Have had most all bikes but never an Ebike. Seems like they have gotten up to speed in the market.

Which ebike do you have?

It's a Stromer from a few years ago.

They're pricey, but high quality.

Reasons why I got it:
Smoothness of the Power Applied
Almost Silent
28mph assist
GPS/Cellular in case of theft
Electronic Locking
Regenerative capability

It's a Stromer from a few years ago.

They're pricey, but high quality.

Reasons why I got it:
Smoothness of the Power Applied
Almost Silent
28mph assist
GPS/Cellular in case of theft
Electronic Locking
Regenerative capability
Nice.. I have an Apollo Ghost scooter and regular pedal bikes but am curious of the ebikes.. the Apollo Ghost goes like 40mph which is way too fast for a scooter lol

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Saw Rivian in GA metro area last night driving. Bed looks very small and truck over all funny looking.

I don't mind the look, but its definitely nothing exceptional like the new Defender. In fact an electric pretend version even made it onto the latest episode of Westworld.

The R1T does look deceptively small despite actually being rather large. Aside from a purpose specific Camper Van it will be the biggest vehicle I've ever owned.

I do like that it looks different than other trucks. I don't like the look of the Cyber Truck at all, but I respect that it's different.

I've never liked the look of the Model 3. It's as the designer secretly wanted to add happiness to the world, and put a happy face on the Model 3. To me it looks like its a happy car. Not like a carried away happy, but just a "life's good" going down the road.

At least the cybertruck looks properly dystopian, and will fit in the world we exist in. :p

That being said at least the Model 3's look can be changed. There are aftermarket kits available to remove that silly happy face.

I don't think much can be done with the CyberTruck
I don't think there is anything that can be done to make the Rivian R1T look a bit meaner. I do think it looks better when the suspension is high because when its on low it looks rather silly.

As to the bedsize I wouldn't compare the R1T to actual trucks like the Lighting as its more of an adventure vehicle. It compares size wise to things like the Ridgeline.

Reactions: tm1v2
Saw Rivian in GA metro area last night driving. Bed looks very small and truck over all funny looking.
There's a couple around me. It looks a lot better in black, but yea still those headlights, those headlights argh...
The hummer EV looks awesome.. but its alot more $$ and less efficient.. hmm
Less efficient is a nice way of putting it when its the record holder for least efficient EV ever produced.

Reactions: WhiteWi and gt2690b
There's a couple around me. It looks a lot better in black, but yea still those headlights, those headlights argh...

Less efficient is a nice way of putting it when its the record holder for least efficient EV ever produced.
Agreed! That's exactly how NOT to design and build EVs.
GM who is the "leader" of EVs and led the EV revolution! LOL

Last edited:
the bed is 4.5ft. They basically stole from the bed to give the back seats more space. Coupled it with those newer tailgate designs that let you still accommodate 6' stuff. But basically as truck version of the El Camino or that Subaru For a lot of truck fans, that is fine. For guys doing a lot of construction material, probably not.

the bed is 4.5ft. They basically stole from the bed to give the back seats more space. Coupled it with those newer tailgate designs that let you still accommodate 6' stuff. But basically as truck version of the El Camino or that Subaru For a lot of truck fans, that is fine. For guys doing a lot of construction material, probably not.
R1T is more for rich people who love to go outdoor doing camping, semi off road stuff, definitely not for construction work.

There is a Rivian in my neighborhood and it's pretty funny looking in person and the small bed looks out of proportion.

I really like the shape of the SUV version in pics however.
the headlight situation remains the same however. Love or hate it, but mostly hate it. Though I think at least one other brand (jeep?) is adopting the vertical strip styling.

I initially had thought the R1s were in the ballpark of 7000 lbs, but looks like its mid 5s, just 1000 more than the Y.

R1T is more for rich people who love to go outdoor doing camping, semi off road stuff, definitely not for construction work.
some will however like the power cover and the cavernous side truck, and the massive (powered) frunk. And of course the power supply, though I don't know if they are ambitious as Ford is with the F150 providing 9.6KW.