Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y P vs Rivian R1S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RAV4 is 181” long, Y is 187”, and 4Runner is 191”. So technically it is closer in length to a 4Runner than a RAV4.

Length is one thing.. .The Y has a sloped hatch (63" height - RAV4 height is 67") and loses a bunch of space. It's very small to me... and I recently shopped for various ICE SUVs(CX-5, RAV4, Tucson, Outback, etc.). Sadly the Y has less usable space for me than my ID.4 that I traded it for. The sloping hatch and narrow opening interfere with usable area.

The R1S (77" height) can easily fit 7 adults like the 4Runner and Highlander.

Length is one thing.. .The Y has a sloped hatch (63" height - RAV4 height is 67") and loses a bunch of space. It's very small to me... and I recently shopped for various ICE SUVs(CX-5, RAV4, Tucson, Outback, etc.). Sadly the Y has less usable space for me than my ID.4 that I traded it for. The sloping hatch and narrow opening interfere with usable area.

The R1S (77" height) can easily fit 7 adults like the 4Runner and Highlander.
4 runner and Highlander “easily” can fit 7 adults? Seriously? Anyway enjoy your ID4 and your future R1S.

4 runner and Highlander “easily” can fit 7 adults? Seriously? Anyway enjoy your ID4 and your future R1S.
Huh? I own a Model Y (traded the ID.4 for it). I know it is small. The 7 seat option can't fit all adults.

I'm not a blind Tesla fan-boi who can't see reality. Highlander's last two seats are narrow - yes. But again... that SUV is only slightly larger than the Model Y.

The R1S is a step above them.

The Y and R1S are very different classes of cars. If you want to draw comparisons to well-known ICE vehicles, I found the dimensionally-closest car to be the Mazda CX-5. Most of the other car-based SUV's are either a little too long, a little too narrow, etc. I attribute that to the inherently different engineering advantages/limitations of EV to ICE.

4Runner is longer than Y but narrower. And the RAV-4? Smaller in every dimensions except height (and usable space but let’s not go there).

In a previous post, you can see the R1S is dimensionally comparable to a Toyota SEQUOIA!!

People don’t cross shop CX-5’s and Sequoia’s do they? Like posted earlier, the closest to R1S is a Model X. Rivian doesn’t (and we don’t know in the future) if they will release a smaller vehicle.

Attachments

• DD335050-1D73-4170-A016-EDFB6219281D.jpeg
    DD335050-1D73-4170-A016-EDFB6219281D.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot 2021-11-11 175013.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-11 175013.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
If you discount the under trunk storage and the frunk I suppose. I use the crap out of those spaces though.

Reactions: WhiteWi
If you discount the under trunk storage and the frunk I suppose. I use the crap out of those spaces though.

Useful but not always practical. Before I got the Model Y, I seriously considered an Outback. A single large square space like that is extremely useful over
multiple storage areas.

The sloping hatch of the Model Y causes some cargo problems which I didn't realize before ownership. I call my Model Y a SUV version of the VW Beetle.

• Disagree
Reactions: Times8 and WhiteWi
A single large square space like that is extremely useful over multiple storage areas.

This is subjective and all depends on what you use the space(s) for. Coming from a minivan, I find I like the built-in compartmenting of the Model Y over the giant cavernous, almost livable space the minivan had to offer. But then again, that's because I never carried lots of big stuff around everywhere. Of course, the obvious answer would be a vehicle that has both, like the R1T. YMMV.

Useful but not always practical. Before I got the Model Y, I seriously considered an Outback. A single large square space like that is extremely useful over
multiple storage areas.
I have an Outback. Love the box, but the ID 4 doesn’t have an Outback sized box either.

Personally, I love the compartmentalized storage. It is like having cabinets for my car. I keep my gear organized using them. There is a reason the truck makers make a big deal of the Frunk even though trucks have a massive storage area.

Won’t buy another car that lacks a frunk.

So I was planning to get a Model Y Performance for my wife, then I went down the rabbit hole of looking into Rivian R1S. Now I am conflicted.. The reviews of the R1T are very good so far

Model Y Performance
  • Smaller / easier to park / less storage
  • runs 11's in the 1/4
  • More efficient than Rivian
  • Supercharger network
  • 303 mi Range
  • $64.990 ($74,990 w/ FSD)
  • 3,500lb towing - but I don't plan to tow anything heavier than that
  • Styling very close to my Model 3 - I'm not excited to have twin cars
  • Tesla FSD will be WAY better
  • Delivery time in months

Rivian R1S
  • Larger / harder to park / more storage
  • Slightly quicker 0-60 and 1/4mile than MYP based on motor trend article
  • Terrible efficiency
  • Fast charging network is terrible and $$$
  • 316 mi range (edmunds "real world test" showed 317, thats great)
  • $77,300 - $7,500 tax credit = $69,800 (with the upgraded wheels)
  • 7 seat option is FREE upgrade
  • 11,000lbs towing - overkill for me but nice
  • 4 motors - very cool!
  • Interior quality getting rave reviews and looks nice too
  • Risk of issues as Rivian goes through learning curve (service, quality, etc...)
  • Delivery time 1 year+

This comparison was way closer than I thought it would be, I don't need the extra off road or towing capability, but I am most surprised by how close the prices are. I am leaning towards the Rivian. I am extremely impressed with what they have done.

Please help convince me one way or the other...

View attachment 731837
Buying my first Tesla after owning a 4Runner for 10 years. I’m in a similar boat as you. It’s hard for me not to think “what if…” as in:

What if I need all of that cargo space?
What if I need off road 4WD capability (after all I live in Colorado)?
What if I need to tow a large load?

I learned if you’re asking those what if questions, odds are you don’t need those capabilities. It’s never been off road. 4WD was great in the snow but performed just as well as any other AWD vehicle. Only when I moved did I need all of that space. It’s hard to part with all of the capabilities of the 4Runner but when I thought about it I never really needed them in the first place. I just needed a car to get to work, run errands, and make a few occasional trips to the mountains.

I could have bought a much cheaper Outback at the time (2013]) with more tech features and without sacrificing any realistic usability for my needs. Not to mention it’s a gas guzzler!

If you’re trying to compare apples to apples then get the Rivian if you genuinely think you’ll need the features you outlined above. Otherwise, if it’s a matter of nice to have versus must have on the added benefits one way or the other…go with your gut!

Buying my first Tesla after owning a 4Runner for 10 years. I’m in a similar boat as you. It’s hard for me not to think “what if…” as in:

What if I need all of that cargo space?
What if I need off road 4WD capability (after all I live in Colorado)?
What if I need to tow a large load?

I learned if you’re asking those what if questions, odds are you don’t need those capabilities. It’s never been off road. 4WD was great in the snow but performed just as well as any other AWD vehicle. Only when I moved did I need all of that space. It’s hard to part with all of the capabilities of the 4Runner but when I thought about it I never really needed them in the first place. I just needed a car to get to work, run errands, and make a few occasional trips to the mountains.

I could have bought a much cheaper Outback at the time (2013]) with more tech features and without sacrificing any realistic usability for my needs. Not to mention it’s a gas guzzler!

If you’re trying to compare apples to apples then get the Rivian if you genuinely think you’ll need the features you outlined above. Otherwise, if it’s a matter of nice to have versus must have on the added benefits one way or the other…go with your gut!
Good points.

I would just add about the gas guzzler part is that the Rivian is ironically an ev guzzler. It's efficiency is not great. It gets 315 mile range with a whopping 135kwh battery. That is huge. This leads to the unfortunate reality that an owner will be spending huge amounts of time charging it. And from what we've seen with the R1T in limited reviews, public charging is not looking great though it is still early times. Brownlee in his review wasn't able to sustain a decent charge rate which meant he'd have to sit there for a really long time. Compare the efficiency of the MYP at 300 mile @82kwh battery (used the P since it's more in line with R1T accel) versus 315mile @135kwh battery. As the specs show these are two very different products, they don't compete in the same bracket.

It gets 315 mile range with a whopping 135kwh battery. That is huge.

If this is true, it will hurt a LOT in the long run. Something that gets about the same range as a Model Y but has a battery almost twice as big = something that uses twice as much electricity per mile driven. Dare I say that can be about as (or more than) paying for gasoline?

And if I remember correctly, Tesla wants to start charging around double for Non-Teslas to use the SC network? That’s 4x the cost. if an R1s/t wants to hook up to a supercharger!

Gotta pay to play I guess!

If this is true, it will hurt a LOT in the long run. Something that gets about the same range as a Model Y but has a battery almost twice as big = something that uses twice as much electricity per mile driven. Dare I say that can be about as (or more than) paying for gasoline?

And if I remember correctly, Tesla wants to start charging around double for Non-Teslas to use the SC network? That’s 4x the cost. if an R1s/t wants to hook up to a supercharger!

Gotta pay to play I guess!
Yea it is bad, real BAD. The EPA rating for the R1T is 74 MPGe city, 66 MPGe highway, and 70 MPGe combined. The MYP is rated at 129 MPGe city, 112 MPGe highway, and 121 MPGe combined. The Rivians are hugely inefficient. It's gonna cost a lot to charge these things. It's gonna add a crap ton of cost at public chargers not to mention the cost to one's utility bill too.

As others mentioned, I don’t think they’re comparable. Size, battery, exterior and I’m sure interior will be vastly different as well.
Like rav4 vs sequoia, can’t compare battery efficiency just like we don’t compare mpg for those 2

This is subjective and all depends on what you use the space(s) for. Coming from a minivan, I find I like the built-in compartmenting of the Model Y over the giant cavernous, almost livable space the minivan had to offer. But then again, that's because I never carried lots of big stuff around everywhere. Of course, the obvious answer would be a vehicle that has both, like the R1T. YMMV.
Or get the tow package and rent a trailer when you need the boxiness.

Good points.

I would just add about the gas guzzler part is that the Rivian is ironically an ev guzzler. It's efficiency is not great. It gets 315 mile range with a whopping 135kwh battery. That is huge. This leads to the unfortunate reality that an owner will be spending huge amounts of time charging it. And from what we've seen with the R1T in limited reviews, public charging is not looking great though it is still early times. Brownlee in his review wasn't able to sustain a decent charge rate which meant he'd have to sit there for a really long time. Compare the efficiency of the MYP at 300 mile @82kwh battery (used the P since it's more in line with R1T accel) versus 315mile @135kwh battery. As the specs show these are two very different products, they don't compete in the same bracket.

Admittedly I know very little about the Rivian’s battery. They’re good looking cars and I love the interiors. But I’d also be adverse to buying the first run if any car fir a lot of the reasons you stated in your original post. Give them a chance to work out the kinks first. I bet the efficiency will increase with time and revision.