Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y P vs Rivian R1S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Giving the cars to employees is normal at this stage of production.

Most car companies wouldn’t even call this production, it’s product testing. It is pretty typical for the first 1000 or so vehicles to go to employees and internal fleets while they work out the bugs in the process. Rivian fudged things a lot so they could look good for their IPO.

Rivian was a bit nuts trying to launch their company with 3 vehicles at the same time. Their resources are spread very thin. The next six months are pretty critical for their success.
I could see the part of fudging to look good, that's clear. Still it leaves a sour taste with the IPO and the slow slow pace of production then not prioritizing paying customers.

lol wut? They already have a test fleet. That's what all those years of pre-production were for, They are in production now. How are they gonna hit 1200 vehicles at a rate of two a day at best? No one is expecting massive production numbers at this point but the rate that they are going at is abysmal and they are prioritizing internal deliveries over customers.

They had a fleet of pre-production cars. Their first commercial delivery was like a month ago, and now they're starting to ramp production. And they're building (and prioritizing) Amazon trucks at the same time.

Fine with me if they ramp slowly instead of rushing to build cars in a tent with materials from Home Depot.

• Funny
Reactions: Daekwan and WhiteWi
I could see the part of fudging to look good, that's clear. Still it leaves a sour taste with the IPO and the slow slow pace of production then not prioritizing paying customers.
If you're a paying customer, you don't want the product yet. Trust me. I've been there on the engineering side of consumer products that are far simpler than a modern car. Let Rivian employees test it in their daily lives and suss out some of the kinks before production ramp.

I agree with @Ogre, this looks basically like internal testing, what my industry calls "dogfooding." Calling initial internal-only vehicles production is disingenuous, but I'm not knocking them too hard for it. We need to be real about what it takes financially to launch completely a new car company. They probably felt they needed "delivery" numbers to keep up investment momentum.

When they start delivering to paying customers, and ramp up production a bit, that's when I'll consider the R1T a launched product. At the moment it has not launched yet (in my book).

It’s a tough choice.

If you have an issue with production and you are giving the cars to employees and internal fleet, it’s a lot easier to manage production problems. You fix the production and worry about fixing the specific truck later. If it’s a customer car, you have to fix both at the same time. Multiply this by hundreds of customers and this a huge problem. If 100 of your employees have windows that only roll up 50% of the time, you can tell them to suck it up for a while. If they are paying customers, you can’t.

Fundamentally, they are just very late. Tesla was 3-4 years late with the Roadster. The Model S was also hugely late. Rivian production is somewhere between those two, only Rivian has chosen to multiply the difficulty by 3.

The big problem with R1S buyers is the R1S is clearly their #3 priority behind both the R1T and the delivery van.

… We need to be real about what it takes financially to launch completely a new car company. They probably felt they needed "delivery" numbers to keep up investment momentum.

When they start delivering to paying customers, and ramp up production a bit, that's when I'll consider the R1T a launched product. At the moment it has not launched yet (in my book).
The problem I have is they are essentially lying to both their customers and retail investors about delivery dates to secure their IPO financing. This gives their deep pocket venture capital partners breathing room to liquidate at the expense of retail investors.

They had a fleet of pre-production cars. Their first commercial delivery was like a month ago, and now they're starting to ramp production. And they're building (and prioritizing) Amazon trucks at the same time.

Fine with me if they ramp slowly instead of rushing to build cars in a tent with materials from Home Depot.
Lets get real here. Read the reporting around this and the Rivian is “the only electric truck in production”… but it isn’t. What they are doing now is not what anyone in the industry would consider production.

Prior to their “first commercial delivery” they had they had 15-20 hand built beta trucks. Their first delivery was a giant dog-and-pony show for the media and nothing more. How many commercial deliveries have they made so far to non-employees? 5? 10?

I agree, they should focus on getting it right. What gets me is the sham-wow and smoke and mirrors going on.

It’s easy to poke fun at some of the shenanigans Tesla pulled to get things out the door, but they got the cars out the door.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I can understand critique about slow initial production and only delivering the early production vehicles to employees. But when happens here without acknowledging that Tesla was doing exactly the same thing years ago it comes across as irrational fanboyism.

5 months later

If Rivian delivers to non-employees before April, they will be ramping up faster than tesla did.

Reactions: Daekwan
It’s easy to poke fun at some of the shenanigans Tesla pulled to get things out the door, but they got the cars out the door.
Do/did you own an early Model S? Sure Tesla got them out the door. The roof, drive unit, charger, door handles, and more weren't ready for prime time...but out the door it all went. ;) Granted Tesla took care of early customers and our old Model S became a better car after a few years, thanks to updated parts.

Yes it remains to be seen if the initial R1T production ramp vehicles will be any more reliable.

As an early Model S owner and R1T reservation holder, I'm very content to let Rivian take their time ramping up. I guess it helps that I've no need or desire to buy a big vehicle right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daekwan and Ogre
Do/did you own an early Model S? Sure Tesla got something out the door. The roof, drive unit, charger, door handles, and more weren't ready for prime time...but out the door it all went. ;) Granted Tesla took care of early customers and our old Model S became a better car after a few years, thanks to updated parts.

Yes it remains to be seen if the initial R1T production ramp vehicles will be any more reliable.

As an early Model S owner and R1T reservation holder, I'm very content to let Rivian take their time ramping up. I guess it helps that I've no need or desire to buy a big vehicle right now.

Totally agree.

We’re in a whole other phase of adoption right now.

People buying the Model S were early adopters. They were tolerant of flaws because they knew they were on the cutting edge.

My frustrations with Rivian are all about communications and media relations. Though given Tesla’s poor communications I suppose that it’s hard to complain.

Reactions: tm1v2
I couldn’t quite place my finger on it but now I see it. It looks like a freakin’ Ford Flex. 🤮

0C3E37E9-E7D1-4490-BB7C-488C924D6E78.jpeg
BEFDEC8F-6D40-4BAD-90D1-F145E53E821D.jpeg

One thing that struck me about the Rivian is just how friggin tall it is.

1636751411616.png

The kid loading is exaggerates it, but this is a truck you climb up into. Also, that storage area looks surprisingly small for such a big vehicle. It’s way bigger than the Model Y, but looks quite a bit smaller than my buddies 4Runner which is in the same approximate size class as this thing.

1636751631799.png

This is a vehicle you climb into, most SUVs this size have a handle up above so folks can pull themselves into it.

I’m pretty sure the Cybertruck is quite a bit lower than this most of the time, the seats on the Model Y are probably 12” lower.

Frunk is pretty tall up there too. Don’t put a heavy ice chest in the bottom of it, you’ll blow your back out retrieving it.

Flip-wise, the frunk is cavernous compared to the one on the Model Y.

1636751974675.png

Definitely emphasizes the 4WD/ sportiness over utility in some ways.

These are not really the same kind of car.

I think this thread has helped me figure out new ways to be conflicted... lol

Best thing on my side is time. With Tesla continuing to raise prices and Rivian's unclear production timeline... I think this will need to be re-visited 6-12 months from now for better clarity.

I miss the days when you could just decide on the car you wanted and go buy it. With the desirable EVs that are coming to market, I think we will have a supply problem for quite a while.

I think this thread has helped me figure out new ways to be conflicted... lol

Best thing on my side is time. With Tesla continuing to raise prices and Rivian's unclear production timeline... I think this will need to be re-visited 6-12 months from now for better clarity.

I miss the days when you could just decide on the car you wanted and go buy it. With the desirable EVs that are coming to market, I think we will have a supply problem for quite a while.
I said it before, worth repeating. Time is your friend here. In 2 years the picture will be a whole lot more clear.

Tesla’s manufacturing capacity will be much higher, Rivian’s will as well. It’s likely Ford and GM will have an SUV of some kind or another out by then. LOL… likely the Ford Flex. Prices are likely to have stabilized a bit too.

• Funny
Reactions: torifile
Do/did you own an early Model S? Sure Tesla got something out the door. The roof, drive unit, charger, door handles, and more weren't ready for prime time...but out the door it all went. ;) Granted Tesla took care of early customers and our old Model S became a better car after a few years, thanks to updated parts.

Family member has an S from years after the launch... roof, rear motor, chargeport all required early replacements. Now on its 4th or 5th set of door handles, with the most recent replacement this year.
One thing that struck me about the Rivian is just how friggin tall it is.

View attachment 732396

The kid loading is exaggerates it, but this is a truck you climb up into. Also, that storage area looks surprisingly small for such a big vehicle. It’s way bigger than the Model Y, but looks quite a bit smaller than my buddies 4Runner which is in the same approximate size class as this thing.

View attachment 732397

This is a vehicle you climb into, most SUVs this size have a handle up above so folks can pull themselves into it.

I’m pretty sure the Cybertruck is quite a bit lower than this most of the time, the seats on the Model Y are probably 12” lower.

Frunk is pretty tall up there too. Don’t put a heavy ice chest in the bottom of it, you’ll blow your back out retrieving it.

Flip-wise, the frunk is cavernous compared to the one on the Model Y.

View attachment 732399

Definitely emphasizes the 4WD/ sportiness over utility in some ways.

These are not really the same kind of car.

FWIW it looks like the suspension is near max ride height in those photos. The suspension has something like 7" of adjustment and goes pretty low in "kneel" parking mode.
rivian-r1t-prototype-spotted-san-jose-1-jpeg.3813

Reactions: Ogre
Family member has an S from years after the launch... roof, rear motor, chargeport all required early replacements. Now on its 4th or 5th set of door handles, with the most recent replacement this year.

FWIW it looks like the suspension is near max ride height in those photos. The suspension has something like 7" of adjustment and goes pretty low in "kneel" parking mode.
rivian-r1t-prototype-spotted-san-jose-1-jpeg.3813
Pretty significant difference in tire size too. I don’t think you could make the truck on their site get this low with the other tires, you’d be bumping into the wheel wells.

I think the R1S with these wheels and ride height would be popular.

My 20 myp now gets 258 on 100% .. it has 14k miles. Not sure if Rivian will get 316 but if it does it’s much better. Range is a key factor. Honestly I would just wait a few years. The f150 looks promising, let them work out the bugs and make
More chargers. There’s no reason to jump in right now, the cake ain’t cooked yet

And I love everything on the r1s except the fugly front end. Big miss for me. Otherwise the truck is nice to look at (same for r1t)

I really thought about putting an order on the R1S about a half year ago. There were a lot of things I liked about it. The more I thought about the range compared to the battery capacity, the less it appealed to me.

As others have mentioned. its energy consumption means longer charge times and increased costs. Now factor in how bad that will be if you are towing something. I have towed a lot with my MY LR and it cuts my range about 30-50% depending on what I am towing. What makes this pretty tolerable is how fast I can recharge at a supercharger. I spent several thousand miles already towing pretty close to the towing capacity of the MY but the load wasn't super boxy but much wider than the MY.

Given the poor charging network, and even with a good one, towing is going to be a challenge with the Rivian especially if you are approaching max load and through in some hills. The Rivian could tow a lot of those but the range hit might be massive. Imagine 100 miles and then having to recharge that massive battery pack. It might take an hour as you'll need to top it off to go anywhere. I had a large turbo diesel truck for towing heavier loads and realized I didn't tow them often enough but I could refuel in 10 minutes and add 500 miles of range back and be back on the road.

The other performance specs looked impressive but at the end of the day, I value efficiency a lot. Hard to beat Tesla at that currently. Given the rise of inflation on energy costs, makes an even more compelling argument for me to go with an efficient vehicle to conserve resources in the first place. I also tend to drive a lot so I'd spend a lot of time with a Rivian on a home charger just to top it off.

I ordered the Rivian back in 2018. Very frustrating on the delays and baiting reservation holders this year that deliveries were going to start in the summer---> August---> September----> October, and now no word. I don't think they will survive in the long term on their own and will need to be bought out to survive. GM, Ford, and Tesla will come on line in the next year or two. Rivian simply cannot compete with these companies in terms of price, charging network, technology, and reputation.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I ordered the Rivian back in 2018. Very frustrating on the delays and baiting reservation holders this year that deliveries were going to start in the summer---> August---> September----> October, and now no word. I don't think they will survive in the long term on their own and will need to be bought out to survive. GM, Ford, and Tesla will come on line in the next year or two. Rivian simply cannot compete with these companies in terms of price, charging network, technology, and reputation.
Getting bought out is not likely an option now that they’ve gone public. They’re already valued at more than almost any other car company save Tesla, VW and Toyota.

Reactions: Ogre