Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y P vs Rivian R1S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the Rivian back in 2018. Very frustrating on the delays and baiting reservation holders this year that deliveries were going to start in the summer---> August---> September----> October, and now no word. I don't think they will survive in the long term on their own and will need to be bought out to survive. GM, Ford, and Tesla will come on line in the next year or two. Rivian simply cannot compete with these companies in terms of price, charging network, technology, and reputation.
Just a Bit of an over reaction. Name one unveil or announcement Tesla has not been delayed yet are doing pretty well. Been to this Rivian plant, they are in it for the long haul.

Long time 4Runner TRD owner here. Transitioning to a Model Y whenever it actually arrives. I'm excited about having a motor that isn't the slowest on the road for the mountains here in Colorado. I'm accepting of the fact that actual off-road experience will vanish, but that's only a few days a year that I get to enjoy the 4Runner in the manner and typically have to go deal with alignment or tire balancing issues thereafter. Anyone else make this change? Regretting it at all? Don't get me wrong, I love the 4Runner, but I don't love how it drives on the highway, up any hill, or it's 17cmpg...

Just a Bit of an over reaction. Name one unveil or announcement Tesla has not been delayed yet are doing pretty well. Been to this Rivian plant, they are in it for the long haul.
Model 3. Model Y.

That’s actually what lulled me into thinking the Cybertruck would be on time.

Not that a track record of 2 for 5 is great. But when Tesla was late with their first 3 vehicles, there was no EV industry. Nobody making batteries for EVs, Tesla more or less put together the Roadster using laptop batteries. Rivian is buying cells from some South Korean maker (2170 cells actually which were designed primarily to make the Model 3).

Rivian has spent 5-10 years trying to make EVs in a much more mature market and is still likely 14 months or more behind. (Assuming they start moderate scale customer deliveries in February).

The Cybertruck was delayed in a large part because their battery platform reboot was ~18 months behind schedule. Rivian isn’t building a new battery platform, they are using Tesla’s last generation one.

Long time 4Runner TRD owner here. Transitioning to a Model Y whenever it actually arrives. I'm excited about having a motor that isn't the slowest on the road for the mountains here in Colorado. I'm accepting of the fact that actual off-road experience will vanish, but that's only a few days a year that I get to enjoy the 4Runner in the manner and typically have to go deal with alignment or tire balancing issues thereafter. Anyone else make this change? Regretting it at all? Don't get me wrong, I love the 4Runner, but I don't love how it drives on the highway, up any hill, or it's 17cmpg...
The Y will be like a rocket ship comparatively. Regrets? Nah, just regret staying ICE for so long...

Reactions: Canyonero and Ogre
Have owned the Pro and have a MYP now. The engine and transmission in the 4Runner are shameful for a car being built in 2021. But on the other hand it has that “buy it for life” feel—MY doesn’t.

The two don’t have anything in common driving. 4Runner has a bash through everything style and is very much a BOF truck feeling. MY obviously handles far better but has brittle ride quality in comparison.

Have owned the Pro and have a MYP now. The engine and transmission in the 4Runner are shameful for a car being built in 2021. But on the other hand it has that “buy it for life” feel—MY doesn’t.

The two don’t have anything in common driving. 4Runner has a bash through everything style and is very much a BOF truck feeling. MY obviously handles far better but has brittle ride quality in comparison.

Makes sense. Yea I've had mine since 2016 and it's a very comfortable vehicle to be in. I live up in the mtns and ascend about 2500 vert/day to work on the highway. It's always felt like I'm having to drive it way harder than it should be for any given speed/effort. My wife's Highlander is so much more pleasant on the road. I'm sure there are certain aspects of the 4runner that I'll miss, and perhaps I'll buy an e-version of it one day if offered, but for now I'm looking forward to a change of pace. We'll see if it lasts!

I feel lucky as hell buying the Model Y when I did. It seems unlikely we’ll see those prices again for some time. If the EV incentives are finalized, I suspect there will be even more demand prompting yet more price bumps. Hopefully ramp up at Texas is going to move fast and we’ll see 750k+/ year out of Texas and supply can catch up.

No question I am cynical about Rivian, but I hope they get production up to speed quickly for their reservation holders. Also because it means better prices and options for all of us.

Good luck whatever you pick.

R1S seems really nice. Only two things would cause me to balk - Jeff Bezos owns part of it and the price.

With larger black wheels and in dark silver/grey it comes out to around $80k. My MSM MYP on order is $63k. Or $84.8k vs $66.8k after taxes.

If money were no object, I'd buy the MYP now and get the R1S later... or just get the R1S. Money is an object... R1S payments with about $22k down will be 50% more for the R1S, so MYP it is.

Also, I don't need to tow and I like that the MYP can charge much faster.

In my original post, the price difference is only around $4k given the tax credit.

I was surprised by it being so close

Yea, that's why it is compelling given its low price right now. It's just the charging situation that gives reservations. I can see it's price going up over time cuz these will not hit customer hands for two years. A lot of price adjustment will happen between now and any hope of delivery...

Yeah, I got one of the first MY in spring 2020 and sold my heavily modded 4runner.

20180911_175332.jpg
20180911_175346.jpg

With the lift and new wheels...probably got around 14-15mpg. And yeah, the motor was my main complaint with how sluggish it was. Yes, it is a bullet-proof engine but bad fuel economy and terrible power. 2nd major complaint was how dated the interior dashboard/electronics were. The 4runner needed a refresh about...6 years ago. Can't believe its taken so long.

Previously had a tundra that I would take off roading to trailheads, so I thought I would supe up a 4runner for even more off road chops. Went out to real trails several times, and decided "rock crawling" was not for me. Scratches, rim damage, popped a bead on a tire, having to wench out of spots too many times....off roading is really only for old, beat up, heavily modified trail specific rigs that are hauled to the trail via trailer. Saw soo many new expensive jeeps with just slightly larger tires get tons of damage. Its not meant for your daily drivers. I also didn't like having to spend a whole day to do a trail. Much rather be out backpacking.

Moving to the model y was absolutely fantastic, and totally changed how I look at driving. Still get excited to go for a drive. My wife and I are now getting his/hers MYPs. I WONT go back to an ICE car, and I love FSD which means only Tesla for me. I do have an electric truck on order (actually, 7 reservations (2 cybertrucks, 2 rivians, 2 hummers, 1 f150)) so I will have freedom to choose once they become available, but CT is my far and away preference. MYP will hold me over till then.

Previously had a tundra that I would take off roading to trailheads, so I thought I would supe up a 4runner for even more off road chops. Went out to real trails several times, and decided "rock crawling" was not for me. Scratches, rim damage, popped a bead on a tire, having to wench out of spots too many times....off roading is really only for old, beat up, heavily modified trail specific rigs that are hauled to the trail via trailer. Saw soo many new expensive jeeps with just slightly larger tires get tons of damage. Its not meant for your daily drivers. I also didn't like having to spend a whole day to do a trail. Much rather be out backpacking.

Moving to the model y was absolutely fantastic, and totally changed how I look at driving. Still get excited to go for a drive. My wife and I are now getting his/hers MYPs. I WONT go back to an ICE car, and I love FSD which means only Tesla for me. I do have an electric truck on order (actually, 7 reservations (2 cybertrucks, 2 rivians, 2 hummers, 1 f150)) so I will have freedom to choose once they become available, but CT is my far and away preference. MYP will hold me over till then.
I think you made a great point, actual hardcore off roading is only for a very small section of the population. The "image" of hardcore off roading appeals to a much larger audience.

Glad to hear your experience with the Model Y, i too love my model 3 and would not go back to ICE. With all those reservations, I think you will end up with the vehicle that makes the most sense.

I do like the R1S "Range rover sport" vibe. A stylish off road capable vehicle that has great on-road manners. The major missing item from the Model Y is air ride suspension.

I didn't read the whole thread, and I'm probably repeating somebody else's post, but dimensions are quite different. For reference, the R1S is roughly the size of a 2002 Tahoe. It's hefty, though I expect that it'll be much faster and handle way better than a Tahoe (not that hard I know). I've owned a 2002 Tahoe and currently own a Y LR. The Y is a mini SUV/raised up station wagon. It handles really well, it's nimble, it's fun to drive, I can park it anywhere easily and it has enough room for 4 people. The Tahoe was none of these things. :) I assume that the R1S will be fun to drive and will handle well (it's an EV after all with high end suspension), but it will remain a large SUV. Full disclosure, we ordered a R1S to replace our X... sometime in the future.

I think you made a great point, actual hardcore off roading is only for a very small section of the population. The "image" of hardcore off roading appeals to a much larger audience.

Glad to hear your experience with the Model Y, i too love my model 3 and would not go back to ICE. With all those reservations, I think you will end up with the vehicle that makes the most sense.

I do like the R1S "Range rover sport" vibe. A stylish off road capable vehicle that has great on-road manners. The major missing item from the Model Y is air ride suspension.

Yep....its all about that image. Rivian has really dived 100% into that off roading image, and I got to say, they at least have that image backed up with a serious "stock" off road rig, with awesome ground clearance, 4 motors (no need for lockers), built in compressor, low "rock" cameras, etc. But 99.97% of owners should never take it bouldering, mudding, bush wacking, etc, even if they wanted to. Its such an expensive vehicle, and serious off roading has such a high risk of damage that it shouldn't attempt the trails that the rivian was built for. Trails WILL damage your vehicle, which is why you take a vehicle where damage is completely acceptable. Can you imagine a person bringing their $80k rivian to a off roading club outing thinking their vehicle can "do it all", and see their face at the first pinstriping when brushing up against a bush/tree branches, or having their door bent to crap when they slip sideways on a rock a bit, or having their fender come off because a rock moved so the departure angle got shot?

If the software/FSD improves, I would love a r1t or r1s. But I now know the realities of off-roading, which...for a vehicle like this...the upper limit should only be very bad forest service roads that you need to take to trailheads. And I've been on plenty of those (looking at you southern utah) where you really do need a 4x4 with high clearance, so a model y isn't going to cut it for sure, and its fine to have an overbuilt off road rig for those trails since I'll know I'll be able to get through the trail without getting stuck, or maybe even help some other rig get unstuck.

But I now know the realities of off-roading, which...for a vehicle like this...the upper limit should only be very bad forest service roads that you need to take to trailheads. And I've been on plenty of those (looking at you southern utah) where you really do need a 4x4 with high clearance, so a model y isn't going to cut it for sure, and its fine to have an overbuilt off road rig for those trails since I'll know I'll be able to get through the trail without getting stuck, or maybe even help some other rig get unstuck.
Right on the money here! If I end up buying an R1T, this is the likely extent that I'll use its off-road capability.

I keep debating getting off road tires and a small lift on my Model Y so I can do some forest road driving for trail work. Only think that keeps me back is the fact that I don’t want to trash the paint. Usually I don’t care, but I paid for the red and love it.

I know it’s not “Real off roading”, though I would likely do a small amount of that too. Basically it would be Subaru-ifying my Model Y.