Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y P vs Rivian R1S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reserved an R1S a few months ago and am expecting delivery.. maybe mid-2023.. lol.

There was one positive in reserving a R1S earlier... access to 175 shares at the IPO at $78. Dump it a few days later when it doubled.

I got in at $100 IPO day. Dumped it when it started to tank, smashed some puts, and will use that profit to order soon. HAHA!

Last edited:
Reactions: voxel

Attachments

• PLPJQWLL5UA33CMGIJG3NIBIT4.jpg
    PLPJQWLL5UA33CMGIJG3NIBIT4.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 76
When I got my S in 2014, I saw a lot of Teslas on flatbeds. Most of them were owners who ran out of juice. I watched an S get towed less than 500 yards to the Supercharger in Tejon Ranch (one of a very few nationwide at the time). The owner was pretty self-deprecating about it and we had a laugh, but flatbeds with EVs on them aren't a new thing.

Reactions: am_dmd and stcptl
One other point if you plan to tow a trailer: regardless of weight limits, the Model Y receiver is apparently quite low to the ground, which has been a bit of a concern for some folks on the forum. I haven't gotten to the point of towing anything, so I can't personally say how much of a problem it is. I see lots of posts from people towing a T@B or Alto trailer, which is pushing the official weight limit, so apparently it's not a major issue. But I suspect it'll be easier setting up towing with the Rivian.

Also, everyone says the MY setup is very cramped, making it annoyingly difficult to attach the safety chain.

For me, the Supercharger network still wins over all other concerns. Doesn't matter how good the vehicle is if the charging situation isn't reliable. If/when the SC network opens up to everyone, wellll, that'll be an interesting day, as Jayne Cobb once said. Fortunately my big-time travel days are a couple years in the future, so the Buzz might be in the mix too by then.
You can adjust the height of the receiver to the ball by using a drawbar with a rise instead of a drop.

The only down side to the rivian is it’s efficiency but it’s still way better than a gas car.. there’s no comparison here the rivian is an all around much better vehicle than the Y.. unless you road trip constantly and are afraid of it’s charging network

Went to the local Tesla DC, to seeing if on an off-chance someone would let me know if my projected build date was still Apr 24th. The kid, who I was inconveniencing by being in their bare/empty facility, said the computer only has the same info that I see (false) and my EDD was April 18-May16. Complete waste of time stopping there.

After there we stopped at the Rivian shop and it couldn't have been more different than Tesla. The guy was super nice, opened a R1T for us and the 6 year old to play in, an was just downright pleasant. I have an order for the R1S, which they haven't started pushing out yet, and yesterday was the first time inside a Rivian product. It was nice talking to someone about a major upcoming purchase that knows he's in the customer service business, instead of someone that told me he has no value to add to the process since he said he only sees/knows the same thing I see myself and literally couldn't have cared less.

• Disagree
Reactions: Horty4 and WhiteWi
I think the R1S is most comparable to the X, rather than any of the Ys. The Y doesn't really have a usable 3rd row. If you compare it with the X, then comes out much more favorably:
  • Costs 20k less even after the price increase. Even more if you include the tax credit.
  • Faster than the normal X. Much cheaper than the Plaid.
  • Better interior and possibly build quality.
  • Can go off road.
The downsides are the lower efficiency and lack of Superchargers. FSD too, if that's important to you. However none of those things are worth the $20k+ price difference.

I think the R1S is most comparable to the X, rather than any of the Ys. The Y doesn't really have a usable 3rd row. If you compare it with the X, then comes out much more favorably:
  • Costs 20k less even after the price increase. Even more if you include the tax credit.
  • Faster than the normal X. Much cheaper than the Plaid.
  • Better interior and possibly build quality.
  • Can go off road.
The downsides are the lower efficiency and lack of Superchargers. FSD too, if that's important to you. However none of those things are worth the $20k+ price difference.
One more downside: They do not exist, and all the mentioned pros are on paper only. Are they still making 2 cars a day by the way? if that is the case, your kids (toddlers) will get the delivery when they are about to retire. =)

Went to the local Tesla DC, to seeing if on an off-chance someone would let me know if my projected build date was still Apr 24th. The kid, who I was inconveniencing by being in their bare/empty facility, said the computer only has the same info that I see (false) and my EDD was April 18-May16. Complete waste of time stopping there.

After there we stopped at the Rivian shop and it couldn't have been more different than Tesla. The guy was super nice, opened a R1T for us and the 6 year old to play in, an was just downright pleasant. I have an order for the R1S, which they haven't started pushing out yet, and yesterday was the first time inside a Rivian product. It was nice talking to someone about a major upcoming purchase that knows he's in the customer service business, instead of someone that told me he has no value to add to the process since he said he only sees/knows the same thing I see myself and literally couldn't have cared less.
With a handful of delivered cars of Coarse they are humble and know what’s going on. Not hard to monitor a dozen cars? Tesla for that matter was in the same loving boat at start up. I do like Rivian and truth be told I am a line supplier for them. After touring the lines Many times in Normal I will advise caution on over expecting much. Production is basically at a drip with the know fact they are loosing money on every car they make for the next several years. Not a very positive outlook to be honest. I Do think they will forge through at a slow pace given Amazon and there other major 3 investors will keep the fire burning till they see a profit. Just to deep. Tesla center advisors don’t actually know what’s going on a HQ. He was being honest but you seem to prefer a whimsical story over fact.

With a handful of delivered cars of Coarse they are humble and know what’s going on. Not hard to monitor a dozen cars? Tesla for that matter was in the same loving boat at start up. I do like Rivian and truth be told I am a line supplier for them. After touring the lines Many times in Normal I will advise caution on over expecting much. Production is basically at a drip with the know fact they are loosing money on every car they make for the next several years. Not a very positive outlook to be honest. I Do think they will forge through at a slow pace given Amazon and there other major 3 investors will keep the fire burning till they see a profit. Just to deep. Tesla center advisors don’t actually know what’s going on a HQ. He was being honest but you seem to prefer a whimsical story over fact.
Fact is they do see more than we do on the public facing site. Denying that is the same endstate as a whimsical story: untrue and made up, but sounds like an acceptable approach after producing an arbitrary number of vehicles.

Edit: to be clear, I'd expect a place of business to be honest, and make up a story or deny what exists. Don't understand why expecting honesty is an issue.

Last edited: