Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y P vs Rivian R1S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So does the rivian qualify for EV tax credit? I don’t see it in their pricing when I try to configure one? Also, is the EV credit at the point of sale or you have to claim it when doing your taxes?
Your state might have credits available - some are POS and some are tax refunds. Here in NJ, we also have no sales tax for EV's, which is a big savings.

Reactions: voxel
Your state might have credits available - some are POS and some are tax refunds. Here in NJ, we also have no sales tax for EV's, which is a big savings.
That’s nice to not have sales tax on EV. I am annDE and we have EV tax credit but only upto 60k and both Tesla and rivian are not eligible based on price. 🙁

I also played with some ice vs. EV cost of ownership calculator and with my current car q7 I will be paying $4500 a year in gas vs. $750 on rivian and $550 for MY (charging) not even taking into consideration if I can also charge at work for free. I am starting to not look at price of the car but the cost of ownership and these numbers help.

That’s nice to not have sales tax on EV. I am annDE and we have EV tax credit but only upto 60k and both Tesla and rivian are not eligible based on price. 🙁

I also played with some ice vs. EV cost of ownership calculator and with my current car q7 I will be paying $4500 a year in gas vs. $750 on rivian and $550 for MY (charging) not even taking into consideration if I can also charge at work for free. I am starting to not look at price of the car but the cost of ownership and these numbers help.
That's 💯 the way you have to look at it. Don't forget maintenance - oil changes especially, which are like $100 now.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
So does the rivian qualify for EV tax credit? I don’t see it in their pricing when I try to configure one? Also, is the EV credit at the point of sale or you have to claim it when doing your taxes?
It's $7,500 off your tax liability. You won't get a credit for the difference.

My location had 2 rebates available, both were approved for a total of $5,000

Buying a Rivian R1S now is insane. The price is north of $90K because of the $15K-$20K increase this past March and wait times are at least a year plus. You can buy the less capable smaller battery trims for $75K but I'm sure there will be alternatives when Rivian delivers your config.

Buying a Rivian R1S now is insane. The price is north of $90K because of the $15K-$20K increase this past March and wait times are at least a year plus. You can buy the less capable smaller battery trims for $75K but I'm sure there will be alternatives when Rivian delivers your config.
It's still a lot cheaper than Model X... I just made a reservation on a R1S. If they have reasonable fast charging network by the time they deliver the car (some time in 2024?), then my next car is more likely R1S than a Tesla.

It's still a lot cheaper than Model X... I just made a reservation on a R1S. If they have reasonable fast charging network by the time they deliver the car (some time in 2024?), then my next car is more likely R1S than a Tesla.

I had my First Mile test drive a week ago and the guide told me they only plan to build chargers out in the wilderness area (where few chargers exist) and I suspect they will be L2.

I don't foresee any carmaker being able to match the supercharger network... not even 10% of it. I just hope Rivian builds them areas not serviced by existing networks and that appeal to Rivian customers. We have governments and compliance networks (aka EA) building them on interstates.

Reactions: Horty4
I think the main risk is that there's so many CCS EVs being sold today that you'll start seeing long lines.
I don’t think there’s that many CCS cars as there are a variety of them. That may fool many into thinking there’s tons out there, but there’s not. The mfgr’s don’t have the capability of making as many as they want, and the order books are full for every model up until the end of next year.

As someone who uses the CCS DCFC’s quite often, I haven’t ever seen a line for one, ever. The closest was one station that had all except for one stall filled, but that was just once.

CCS manufacturers will make up for the fewer cabinets at each site by having so many sites in a near vicinity of each other, like gas stations today. It’s not uncommon to see a Shell across from an Arco, or Chevron and Valero across the street. Etc. There’s a few places I can think of where EA and EVGo are within a block of each other.

I had my First Mile test drive a week ago and the guide told me they only plan to build chargers out in the wilderness area (where few chargers exist) and I suspect they will be L2.

I don't foresee any carmaker being able to match the supercharger network... not even 10% of it. I just hope Rivian builds them areas not serviced by existing networks and that appeal to Rivian customers. We have governments and compliance networks (aka EA) building them on interstates.
Car makers and/or government agencies --- What could go wrong ?? Just about anything you can imagine.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Car makers and/or government agencies --- What could go wrong ?? Just about anything you can imagine.

Ok... how about those private charging companies (without force compliance spending).... which is EVGo... you know who awesome and incredible that network is.

FYI ChargePoint isn't a charging network as it is a hardware + service provider. The landowner provides the electricity and determines access (public, private, etc).

@voxel I asked a First Mile rep at their charging booth about DCFC specifically and they were very clear that DCFC is in the works, not just L2.

Until their DC chargers actually start showing up in the wild I wouldn't count on it actually happening of course. But it is a stated goal! I hope they pull it off and really focus on filling in the gaps as they say.

Reactions: voxel
I don’t think there’s that many CCS cars as there are a variety of them. That may fool many into thinking there’s tons out there, but there’s not. The mfgr’s don’t have the capability of making as many as they want, and the order books are full for every model up until the end of next year.

As someone who uses the CCS DCFC’s quite often, I haven’t ever seen a line for one, ever. The closest was one station that had all except for one stall filled, but that was just once.

CCS manufacturers will make up for the fewer cabinets at each site by having so many sites in a near vicinity of each other, like gas stations today. It’s not uncommon to see a Shell across from an Arco, or Chevron and Valero across the street. Etc. There’s a few places I can think of where EA and EVGo are within a block of each other.
The bigger issue is availability. I just got the CCS adapter from Harumio and when I was looking at the EA app a couple days ago for local stations where I could test it, every station had at least one stall listed as Unavailable (that is, out of service for some reason). I also looked at a couple locations where I go regularly on trips, and it was the same. So given that most of those are not 8 or 10 stall locations, but mostly 4 or 6, a decent percentage are out of service at any given time. THAT'S really the issue with the non-SC networks. In a year and a half, I've only seen one SC stall out of service.

Ordered an R1S back in November, really excited to get this vehicle. Disappointed its been delayed so much, but not much I can do besides just wait. Having tons of room with 3 rows, 0-60 of 3.0 seconds, great AWD/offroad, and now current prices that are much higher however does have me very excited to eventually get this. Delay also gives time for the CCS charging network and other improvements.

I have a MY order likely to be delivered in the next month or so. I'd say the vehicles are in different classes, the R1S for around $70k is much larger maybe even larger than MX which is over $120k. Other vehicles I've looked at are Tahoe or Sequoia types, but these aren't really cheaper than R1S and use tons of gas.

We will go through with buying the MY now, and once delivery is ready for the R1S likely get that. If we're really happy with the MY maybe we keep both of these and sell our ICE SUV. However, it'll be nice that Tesla's hold their value so well in case we decide to go a different direction, we will have options.