Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Paint damaged in mountains w/ Ceramic Coating, should I wrap it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should I wrap it with PPF or a colored wrap to protect the paint? Or, are there any other methods you recommend after getting my paint fixed from the road salt/rocks/mud? I want to know from someone with similar experiences with taking their car through the snow and/or mountains.

I've had mine wrapped in clear film for 6 years and it looks like new. There are a few tiny chips that broke through the film on the leading edge of the hood but almost impossible to see. Note that the film is not totally impervious.

I put on about 4000 miles of mountain driving a year with lots of sand deposited by CalTrans.

So if you want your paint to remain as perfect as it can be, and still drive it, I would recommend having it wrapped. The biggest impact will be the front end and mirrors but if you can, having everything wrapped.

Upvote 0
My model 3 has about 20k miles and got wrapped at about 700 miles or so. There were a few chips before wrapping already as the first 700 miles were a few spring time road trips through the sierras and Tahoe. After getting it wrapped I made some pretty brutal road trips (for a Model 3 performance) including Baja, Great Basin, Bodie state park, Great Basin NP, Yosemite, Tahoe, Redwoods, Olympic, Mt Rainier, Death Valley, etc. All involved plenty of summer and winter mud and snow driving along with really bad dirt roads (on my 20s none the less). Anyway, the film has taken the brunt of the damage and there are spots where the damage where the film tore but basically it was the sacrificial element: the paint itself is unscathed. And after a wash the car itself looks spectacular which is something that I could not say with my previous Cars that were not wrapped.

Upvote 0
WOW! I actually filed a claim with Tesla Insurance since it's under comprehensive and not collision. I found out after a professional looked at it (after creating a claim with insurance) that the total damages were far worse! Rear doors and up need to be repainted, new windshield, headlights, and fog lights... Initial estimate was 15-20k...! O_O

@Zorg i'm definitely wrapping my car after this ^

@tij664 @aesculus

Reactions: Zorg and 1100MCM
Upvote 0
Should I wrap it with PPF or a colored wrap to protect the paint? Or, are there any other methods you recommend after getting my paint fixed from the road salt/rocks/mud? I want to know from someone with similar experiences with taking their car through the snow and/or mountains.

PPF protects against physical damage. Ceramic is cosmetic. You can't fix chipped paint other than repainting.

Upvote 0
Hi Forsakeny,

Having done 100's of both ceramic and ppf, I'd say def get it wrapped.

As the other commenters have posted, ceramic helps with more shine and gloss and keeping it looking fresh and clean whereas wtih PPF, it helps protect against chips, stones, knicks etc, not only does it hlpe with the look and feel overall but it also helps protect the paint itself.

You can learn more about

CERAMIC PRO Ceramic Pro Coating | Paint Protection Film San Francisco,CA

PPF Xpel Ultimate Plus Paint Protection Film Fremont & San Francisco Bay Area, CA

Upvote 0