Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Paint Protection Film Recommendations- Chicago Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of folks seemed to recommend some PPF for Tesla's, especially the front ends. Im taking delivery (hopefully?) of a MYP in February/March timeframe. Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on specific PPF's ( Xpel, 3M etc ) and recommendations for installers in the Chicago area western suburbs.

Just spoke with Jeff on the phone at Auto Image in Barrington. Not only did he give me the lowest quote, he was the most friendly on the phone. I'll likely go to him for a front and rear bumper film install (Xpel).

I'm hearing ~1k for bumper, first 18 inches of hood, and a few other small spots. ~2k for full front wrap + a little ppf on the sides. Thoughts?
1.7K - 2K for full front clip ppf (mid tier or high end film) bumper, fenders, hood, and mirrors (maybe pillars). Any one in Chicago, check out XTC Auto Detailing. I've had my other cars detailed and ceramic coated by them and will have them do PPF on MY when it arrives next week. They do a great job and the price is reasonable.

As for no PPF on the rear door or bumper. I image it will look like this. Tesla Model Y Rear Door Paint Damage

Reactions: WyomingEV
Chicago Auto Pros has 2 locations and posts a lot of detailing videos and has his own Tesla which he has wrapped. I have not seen any specific reviews, but seems like a well run place and offers a lot of explanations in his videos about the shop and products they use.
Picking this up because I’m getting a Model Y and deciding what to do. I’ve heard good things about Umbra and XTC. I think one is a shop and the other is a one man show. Both use IGL Kenzo for ceramic coating and XPEL PPF.

Anyone have updated thoughts on Chicagoland places to go? And what’s a reasonable price for this work?

Midwest Autobahnd

Ross is the owner. Great guy who knows his clients by name it seems. He hires some incredible talent. The ppf is flawless. Never a single bubble. And the wraps are tight and symmetrical. Never cuts into the paint and they avoid removal of emblems or panels

Used them in 2004 then again 2012 and ‘16. Actually forgot about them, found them online via reviews and didn’t recall until he brought it up to my attention i had used them for ages it seems. Then with MYP in 21 and just a few days ago also another Y.

The Y’s have a partial xpel ULT wrap. The ppf coverage looks like a sandal. Full front. All doors and rear bumper. In all the previous years, never had as much as a dent on any pillars or trunk/hatch. Best cost to benefit ratio. Doors are my main concern because in chicago proper , someone is going to dent your doors. But each time a simple PDR job took care of it. With the price of labor or repainting a panel , I thought the ppf would justify the cost. Also. The blue paint must be getting better. I’ve taken the 21 through the cheapest $3-5 automatic car washes especially during the winter, where a clean car only last 24 hrs in chicago weather. The ppf areas are perfectly the same as the day they were installed. Xpel self heals well. Better in hot summer of course. The pillars and hatch have so far held up well. Small swirls come out with a single wax.

Oh interesting, I didnt realize it. Maybe its' a franchise? I did see the locations (Glenview, Lombard, and strangely a town in Arkansas)
Are you saying the Lombard location is the main one and Glenview is the smaller location?
The “small town in Arkansas” is actually the Arkansas side of Memphis… the location is actually in West Memphis. I wouldn’t consider this a small town by any means. It would be like calling Hammond “a small town in Indiana.”

Not saying you didn’t just make a simple mistake with your judgement, I think some people just don’t know if they aren’t familiar with the area and I wanted to clarify.

Picking this up because I’m getting a Model Y and deciding what to do. I’ve heard good things about Umbra and XTC. I think one is a shop and the other is a one man show. Both use IGL Kenzo for ceramic coating and XPEL PPF.

Anyone have updated thoughts on Chicagoland places to go? And what’s a reasonable price for this work?

XTC is awesome and lots of happy customers and reviews on Facebook Tesla Chicago page. I did ceramic coat and couple panels of ppf. Super happy with the job. Alex is really good at his craft and does high quality work. I know he used to do ceramic coats for umbra back in the day.

Jose did both of my Teslas, and I've been happy with the results. Full XPEL stealth on my MYP, Stek DynoPurple on my Plaid.
Not sure about current pricing.