Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Parking assist failure - subsequent damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upon leaving my parking garage last night, the model Y parking assist sensors failed to notify of an impending collision with an object, a cement pillar, while reversing.

To start, my work garage is a labyrinth in general, and the electric charging spots are even worse, most located next to or directly behind pillars in the driving lane, which makes reversing a bit challenging. I happened to be in one of the electric charging spots where there is a pillar directly in the way of the spot, so there is no way to straight reverse out, it typically takes a dozen or so moves to avoid cement pillar and yellow metal poles. Anyway, since I was leaving late, I opted to go across the vacant spots next to the one I parked in. This forced me into a three point turn, after putting the car in reverse, I subsequently slammed into a smaller cement pillar, damaging the trunk and rear bumper, enough so, they would require replacement.

My question is why didnt the sensors alert me? Any other day, if I get within feet of something in the garage, the sensors trigger an alert which have no issue gaining ones attention. Is it possible the parking assist sensors failed? Why would I not be alerted to a object I would run into? Did recent software update cause this to occur?

I know this is human error but isnt this the point of the sensors?

And the big question, what is Tesla's responsibility is this feature malfunctioned?
@Dick Hyman Firstly, so very sorry to hear that. It puts my problem (below) into perspective; my visible damage is limited to the number plate.

The Audi driver, whom I bumped, could not have been more calm and polite at the scene, is now claiming to have damage.

So, sightly different situation to yours, mine was a low speed fender bender in my 062022 MY yesterday.

As mention above, the impact was taken by the number plate which is slightly creased. No other visible damage but the parking sensors have ceased to function. No external visible issues on the sensors. I wonder therefore, if the jolt of the impact has broken or dislodged
something within.

I have cleaned (though they did not need it) the sensors and rebooted the car to no avail.

Any information or advice would be much appreciated ( apart from "just pretend you have a Q4 sans sensors car").:)

Last edited:
@Dick Hyman Firstly, so very sorry to hear that. It puts my problem (below) into perspective; my visible damage is limited to the number plate.

The Audi driver, whom I bumped, could not have been more calm and polite at the scene, is now claiming to have damage.

So, sightly different situation to yours, mine was a low speed fender bender in my 062022 MY yesterday.

As mention above, the impact was taken by the number plate which is slightly creased. No other visible damage but the parking sensors have ceased to function. No external visible issues on the sensors. I wonder therefore, if the jolt of the impact has broken or dislodged
something within.

I have cleaned (though they did not need it) the sensors and rebooted the car to no avail.

Any information or advice would be much appreciated ( apart from "just pretend you have a Q4 sans sensors car").:)
Hi,

Any further update on this - I literally had same thing and hit car in front at roundabout -- old corsa. Waiting till Monday to see what other driver will say not decided to go thru insurance (access 250£) or just do cash repair - sensor warning message and parking sensor visibly damaged. Seen some on eBay for err 30-50£ same colour. And YouTube videos how to replace it. But not sure should I just pay access and get insurance to solve my car and other car. But then this accident will be needed to be reported for insurance for next 5 years....

Hi,

Any further update on this - I literally had same thing and hit car in front at roundabout -- old corsa. Waiting till Monday to see what other driver will say not decided to go thru insurance (access 250£) or just do cash repair - sensor warning message and parking sensor visibly damaged. Seen some on eBay for err 30-50£ same colour. And YouTube videos how to replace it. But not sure should I just pay access and get insurance to solve my car and other car. But then this accident will be needed to be reported for insurance for next 5 years....
If you can agree a reasonable £s settlement with the Corsa and pay for your sensors, unless they cost serious money, I would leave insurance out of it. You may have NCP but your premiums will still mysteriously rise year after year. Also better for Tesla accident stats if you don't claim. 😃I have not had the slightest knock for thirty years ( then it was same low impact rear end). I think the other driver wanted me exterminated such was their upset, so I had to claim and then suffered premium wise for years. (Points also haunt us for several years.)
To the present; pthere is not the slightest scratch on mine apart from the plate and yet the sensors have ceased to function.
I need to do some research,
Good luck with sorting your third party.
I reached a fair and amicable solution with my very civilised; totally polite pleasant and reasonable third party - thank goodness for that.

Hi,

With my bumper showing no damage whatsoever, snd the sensors in place, that is to say not pushed in, I cannot diagnose the issue without recourse to Tesla Service which sounds like £££s as once the car is there I am likely to go ahead with the repair. Maybe I should just learn where the front of the car is😃.
So spoilt for so many years with sensors.
I really feel for new owners who are dans sensors and awaiting a camera baded solution.

With my bumper showing no damage whatsoever, snd the sensors in place, that is to say not pushed in, I cannot diagnose the issue without recourse to Tesla Service which sounds like £££s as once the car is there I am likely to go ahead with the repair. Maybe I should just learn where the front of the car is😃.
So spoilt for so many years with sensors.
I really feel for new owners who are dans sensors and awaiting a camera baded solution.
So many typos above🙄sorry.

Hi all,

Had new parking sensor arriving from USA and it was just plug and go. Tho I did switched off car from safety menu. It's very easy to access too - like less than 5 mins to acces the parking sensor prior replacing. But also shows how shoddy the the front boot plastic fittings are - not much rubber fittings to abort vibrations. Which seems to be a theme going inside the car all over with only ~2500 miles on clock and almost 3 months...

I've heard others mention that they also lost the parking sensor functions on their USS-equipped vehicles after doing an update. If this is true, I guess the folks that have been taking delivery this month won't feel so bad about not having USS in their vehicles.
Just took delivery in February 2023 and within 2 weeks, I’ve crashed into garage twice trying to park. My 2016 Model x spoiled me. This is probably the last Tesla I’m going to buy. Very Disappointed and this is not a safe vehicle. I am not comfortable letting my wife drive this.

Just took delivery in February 2023 and within 2 weeks, I’ve crashed into garage twice trying to park. My 2016 Model x spoiled me. This is probably the last Tesla I’m going to buy. Very Disappointed and this is not a safe vehicle. I am not comfortable letting my wife drive this.
So, in your opinion, any vehicle w/o parking sensors isn't a "safe vehicle?" You won't "let" your wife drive any vehicle that doesn't have parking sensors? How was she able to pass any parking test for her driver's license?

This attitude about "safety" is disturbing. Basic driving skills to acquire a driver's license include driving/lane changing/parking w/o any use of electronic warning systems. That's what mirrors are for, and having an experienced driver giving instruction.

How do you find model y after model X? Since I find model y appalling comparing it to any midrange mercedes or BMW or even Audi to extent....

So, in your opinion, any vehicle w/o parking sensors isn't a "safe vehicle?" You won't "let" your wife drive any vehicle that doesn't have parking sensors? How was she able to pass any parking test for her driver's license?

This attitude about "safety" is disturbing. Basic driving skills to acquire a driver's license include driving/lane changing/parking w/o any use of electronic warning systems. That's what mirrors are for, and having an experienced driver giving instruction.
I think there is more to this... You would expect parking aids working and present in cars over £50k... I have model y Long range for almost 3 months - things taken for granted with other brands just don't work or work at random. Etc wipers auto setting speed rarely gets right speed, indicators auto off total mess... Audio system - they call it premium? Well it's loud but no true surround or balanced at all... Noise levels appalling, especially booming sound issue or road noise from tyres... Suspension harsh - but not stable - jarring and jumpy... Steering wheel unbalanced - comfort mode totally unusable on any back road... No memory seat settings for passenger... No apple car play or android auto... Simple things likes nets and pockets none existent... Under seat heat wents not covered to stop things getting in to... I mean Tesla taking drivings as their test bed... The car is in development not a retail ready product... Yes it got range (long drives easily 250-270 ish real miles but short journeys - 5-10 miles at the time only does ~160miles from full charge) and speed... But anything else well... Let's put this way ford fiesta does better job... I am not asking premium products but basics like wipers/indicators to work as suppose to be...

Reactions: blackSwan101
I think there is more to this... You would expect parking aids working and present in cars over £50k... I have model y Long range for almost 3 months - things taken for granted with other brands just don't work or work at random. Etc wipers auto setting speed rarely gets right speed, indicators auto off total mess... Audio system - they call it premium? Well it's loud but no true surround or balanced at all... Noise levels appalling, especially booming sound issue or road noise from tyres... Suspension harsh - but not stable - jarring and jumpy... Steering wheel unbalanced - comfort mode totally unusable on any back road... No memory seat settings for passenger... No apple car play or android auto... Simple things likes nets and pockets none existent... Under seat heat wents not covered to stop things getting in to... I mean Tesla taking drivings as their test bed... The car is in development not a retail ready product... Yes it got range (long drives easily 250-270 ish real miles but short journeys - 5-10 miles at the time only does ~160miles from full charge) and speed... But anything else well... Let's put this way ford fiesta does better job... I am not asking premium products but basics like wipers/indicators to work as suppose to be...
Uhh...we were discussing parking sensors. Crazy thread drift.

Reactions: YogiBearr
Advertisements on Tesla website say these features work, so when you spend $80k+ MYP.. and the fine print on contracts written for Tesla Engineers said it’s all “TO BE”.. or “Sometime” in the future- Seems like Tesla pulled a fast one.

I used to be excited about these vehicles, now I’m scared what surprises will await when I take delivery.

Unsafe because I would NEVER let my kids/wife drive this vehicle because of erratic/inconsistent response from electronics for persistent road conditions..

I think the FSD he’ll we’re going through is the reason Karpathy left. He knew they wouldn’t work these things out and Buyers will flee.

All other competitors tout these features working, Tesla states in their website these features work. Had I known they do not, and ads were not TRUE, I would not have purchased.
BUYER BE WARE!!

Advertisements on Tesla website say these features work, so when you spend $80k+ MYP.. and the fine print on contracts written for Tesla Engineers said it’s all “TO BE”.. or “Sometime” in the future- Seems like Tesla pulled a fast one.

I used to be excited about these vehicles, now I’m scared what surprises will await when I take delivery.

Unsafe because I would NEVER let my kids/wife drive this vehicle because of erratic/inconsistent response from electronics for persistent road conditions..
I don't this it's that bad in terms of safety - well airbags works and etc I would expect. Emergency call - that auto dials after more aggressive braking - and you get like 10 seconds to figure out what's that alarm sound went off... Lane crossing assist/warning and etc seems on par or better than others. Again this is electronic aids that suppose to ASSIST but not guaranteed to work. Driving skills is always needed. Lots of people complains of phantom braking - done nearly 3k miles and have not experienced it at all.

But if you comming from Merc/BMW/Audi mid range and above --- be prepared to be hit by some disappointment... Yes acceleration and range is there but the rest --- Tesla really need to get their ergonomic department to start delivering results or competition will walk over Tesla misshapes... Good look with delivery!!! Heard never models comes with better suspension so hope that will be true for your delivery!!!

Noise issues can be somewhat mitigated by sound deadening kits from Amazon and etc... Wait somehow we don't see other car brands kits for sale :)