Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y passenger doors needs to be slammed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took Model Y delivery couple of weeks back and found few issues during delivery.

One of the concerning issue is front passenger door needs to be slammed to close, it doesn't work like rest of the doors. Did anyone else had similar issue?

Service Center folks said I need to let the door seal break in for atleast 90 days and if any adjustment done now it will through it out of specifications. Any idea what this means?

Its exactly looks similar to whats reported in this video -

When I took delivery of my 3 the drivers door had to be closed a lot harder than the rest. When I had homelink installed at my house by the Tesla tech he looked at it and said sometimes the seals just take a little time. He was right, within a few weeks I totally forgot all about it and my doors close perfectly.

I thought I was the only one that felt this. Every time I have a passenger get in, the door never shuts properly.
I took delivery last week and had no complaints aside from a small panel gap. Just figured it was all in my head.

Guess I should add this to my service appointment.

Not normal, just poor assembly. Mine shut perfectly, while my co-workers passenger door needs to be slammed.

Really getting fed up with all the random quality issues. I was okay with it on my Model S as Tesla was a “startup” back then...tolerated them on my Model 3, but it’s ridiculous how they have MORE trouble building cars now than 2 years ago. Can you imagine BMW (or even Kia) telling you it’s normal for one door to be harder to close than the others?

Reactions: cwerdna
I took Model Y delivery couple of weeks back and found few issues during delivery.

One of the concerning issue is front passenger door needs to be slammed to close, it doesn't work like rest of the doors. Did anyone else had similar issue?

Service Center folks said I need to let the door seal break in for atleast 90 days and if any adjustment done now it will through it out of specifications. Any idea what this means?

Its exactly looks similar to whats reported in this video -

Right front door on my MY was out of alignment and noticeably harder to close. I scheduled an adjustment on my app. Adjustment was easy peasy. No problem since.

Easy to adjust the door strike, on the B pillar, C on the rear fender. 2 bolts. I adjusted my driver's door because the door was too LOOSE!.

FYI: I found all of the strike bolts (8 of them) to be more loose than any car I've ever owned. (just like the wheel lug nuts!) I snugged them down.

Not normal, just poor assembly. Mine shut perfectly, while my co-workers passenger door needs to be slammed.

Really getting fed up with all the random quality issues. I was okay with it on my Model S as Tesla was a “startup” back then...tolerated them on my Model 3, but it’s ridiculous how they have MORE trouble building cars now than 2 years ago. Can you imagine BMW (or even Kia) telling you it’s normal for one door to be harder to close than the others?
As I posted over 2 years ago at Door needs to be slammed to shut? which has an under 7 minute video showing statistical process control at Honda plant, with a specific example on door closing speed/effort.

Given reports of stuff like this and all sorts of obvious defects actually making it to cars customers see and pick up makes me suspect that Tesla's quality control is nowhere near as rigorous or strict as Honda...

As I posted over 2 years ago at Door needs to be slammed to shut? which has an under 7 minute video showing statistical process control at Honda plant, with a specific example on door closing speed/effort.

Given reports of stuff like this and all sorts of obvious defects actually making it to cars customers see and pick up makes me suspect that Tesla's quality control is nowhere near as rigorous or strict as Honda...

I'm on my second Tesla. Also an investor, which helps me have a broader perspective. Also a believer in the larger mission of Tesla, which is to address a "whole world" problem. Both of my cars have panel fit problems. They don't detract from the satisfaction I get from owning and driving them. It was interesting to me when I tuned in to Consumer Reports (I'm a member) following their "unacceptable" rating for the Model Y. Owners honestly rated their cars on quality of construction, but also rated them very highly in owner satisfaction.

Frankly, CR and this forum exist primarily to address first world problems. I know that QC will come for Tesla, but their priority for now is to get their product on the road. Better to be concerned about the billions of rolling gasoline fires on the world's highways than how a frunk fits. In my humble opinion, of course.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
I'm on my second Tesla. Also an investor, which helps me have a broader perspective. Also a believer in the larger mission of Tesla, which is to address a "whole world" problem. Both of my cars have panel fit problems. They don't detract from the satisfaction I get from owning and driving them. It was interesting to me when I tuned in to Consumer Reports (I'm a member) following their "unacceptable" rating for the Model Y. Owners honestly rated their cars on quality of construction, but also rated them very highly in owner satisfaction.

Frankly, CR and this forum exist primarily to address first world problems. I know that QC will come for Tesla, but their priority for now is to get their product on the road. Better to be concerned about the billions of rolling gasoline fires on the world's highways than how a frunk fits. In my humble opinion, of course.
Misaligned panels and uneven panel gaps are one thing and are simply embarrassing + evidence of sloppiness with respect to the exterior. But that calls into question things that are so visible from the outside. Are they equally as sloppy?

As you point out with CR, the Y did horribly at Who Makes the Most Reliable New Cars?.

When people have problems shutting their doors and hit other issues that customers will ask to have repaired under warranty, that seems penny wise and pound foolish to be shipping out cars this way just to book revenue. It's almost certainly going to cost them more to fix after the fact than to fix them at the factory beforehand or be measuring and addressing this problems at the factory, esp. their root cause. All of these fixes after the fact add up in terms of cost.

^^^Totally agree. Tesla hasn't planned this push very well. I've not looked at hard numbers, but I'll wager that every SC is staffed (mostly) with inexperienced, undertrained personnel, and are probably UNDER staffed, as well. Add to this the stress of fielding QC issues from customers who already had a poor customer service experience because of the poorly executed delivery system. I also expect the burnout rate to be quite high.

FYI, I've been lurking at my SC for almost 3 months. I've noticed a real improvement in the fit and finish (exterior) of the cars on their lot. I'm probably only seeing them after they've been prepped, and maybe it's a better-than-average SC, but I've been pleased with my experience with QC.

Received my Y Dec. 5th, and did not notice the passenger door issue, until a few days later. Yes my Y has that problem. Not a big issue but makes one wonder is it because Elon mandated a high production number, and processes were skipped.?

I am an investor as well, this is my 2nd Tesla, before I was EV with Ford and Chevy, will not go back, staying with Tesla.

Reactions: jpfive
Sometimes my passenger door didn't close correctly after delivery. It was annoying because unless you looked at the window (partially down) or screen you couldn't tell it wasn't closed. Each time I had to give it an extra push or really slam it hard. Made an appointment with the SC and now the door is just right - no issues at all. So, that should be an easy fix.