Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Perf or BMW X3M?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was right where the OP is about six months ago, but an Audi guy. Two S models in the garage and eyes on an RS. On a whim I drove a Model Y performance. Have one in the garage now and am not going to miss the S and RS maintenance costs. Mine came so fast I couldn’t even get my home charger installed so was using a wall plug for a few weeks. How fun it was to unplug from a wall plug in the garage go out and absolutely dust some unsuspecting Mustang drivers, then pick up some things at the hardware store and later put my trailer hitch bike rack on to go out for a mountain bike ride. Yes, I do miss the Audi ’cabin’ just a bit. But I am 100% happy with my decision and I spent less than an RS series car and will have about 10% the cost of maintenance, if that.

I was about 10 mins from buying an x3 M40i (I know, not x3M comp) when I was encouraged to test drive the MYP. That had me sold.

While the BMW interior is more refined and familiar to a long-time BMW driver (my first impression of the MYP interior was that it felt cheap, but it has grown on me), I found the driving experience simply more fun in the Tesla. There is no need to mess with sport, comfort, eco, launch modes in the x3 since the MYP has instant torque on-demand... the BMW gas mileage would be poor if keeping performance on par with the MYP... I'll rarely have to charge outside of my house with regular commuting or regional trips. The driving assist functions - whether you get enhanced autopilot or full self driving (eventually) - are more practical and usable with Tesla.

That I could get a BMW-killer on the streets with far superior environmental impact (in the sheets?) had me sold and I haven't looked back. Just picked up my MYP earlier this week and I can't stop thinking of excuses to leave the house and drive.

Just some additional data points. We picked up the MYP yesterday and it reminded me what I felt during the test drives I had. As someone else said somewhere on this forum, for commuting, there's really no replacement for EV. No matter how quick the transmission is on your ICE car or perhaps you drive a manual, there's ALWAYS a lag when you get on the gas. Either the engine has to rev up, the transmission has to down shift, the turbo has to spool, it just takes time. You never really think about it or realize it, until you drive an EV. Even if you drive a Porsche with arguably the best dual clutches out there, there's still a lag. You gotta think about it, down shift, get on the gas, what for everything to spin up. It just so effortless and it's hard to explain until you experience it in a Tesla. Even the Model Y Long Range is has the same sense of urgency you don't get in an ICE car. Would I take the MYP on a road trip, probably not... I'd probably take our Expedition. But around town, daily commute, etc... I think it's hard to beat the driving experience of a performance trim Tesla.

It's funny, I actually had this option checked off originally, but with two little ones, I decided to go with black.

I don't think you need to be fearful of the white interior unless your kids do things like play with markers in the car. I have two kids and after about 3 months of sand, dirt, snacks, and crawling all over the interior (plus a coffee spill from me) the white still looks brand new. It's a super-easy material to deal with.

Also, just for a bit of perspective. One of my prior cars was a E46 BMW M3. 0-60 in that when brand new, was 4.5 seconds.
The Model Y Long Range (not the performance), is 4.6 seconds. And if you opt for the performance boost, that brings it to 4.2.

These vehicles...are QUICK. And they feel much faster than published #'s due to lack of sound, no pause for shifting, and instant torque.

Also, just for a bit of perspective. One of my prior cars was a E46 BMW M3. 0-60 in that when brand new, was 4.5 seconds.
The Model Y Long Range (not the performance), is 4.6 seconds. And if you opt for the performance boost, that brings it to 4.2.

These vehicles...are QUICK. And they feel much faster than published #'s due to lack of sound, no pause for shifting, and instant torque.
Officially, the 0-60 time for the LR MY is 4.8 secs But I have seen videos of ppl getting 4.6 with the Dragy device.

Honestly the 0-60 times are close enough. What the times do not explain is the quick torque of electric drive. That smooth instant power which you need to do a test drive to feel really. For me that is the addictive part. Its really the impressive part.
Totally agree. My previous car was an ‘18 SQ5 (0-60 in 5.1s) and the Y feels a lot faster because of the instant torque.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I really appreciate all of the insight everyone, great stuff!

One of the reasons that I also wanted to upsize was because I'm tired of the ridiculous ground clearance in my M3 and having to slowly creep in and out of certain incline/declines. That said, how do you all feel about the clearance in the Model Y? Any scraping concerns?

I don't think you need to be fearful of the white interior unless your kids do things like play with markers in the car. I have two kids and after about 3 months of sand, dirt, snacks, and crawling all over the interior (plus a coffee spill from me) the white still looks brand new. It's a super-easy material to deal with.

Yes, people need to remember it's not leather, it's vinyl. That helps a LOT.

I have owned BMW and Porsche in the past. Quality of Tesla was my biggest concern. Fortunately I have not had any problem so far in 5 months of ownership. I don’t miss all the buttons, knobs that are present in most ICE cars. I enjoy over the air improvements. Not filling gas. Instant torque is incredible. Charging at home and owning a zero emissions car. We still own 2 ICE cars but MY is my go to vehicle.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I really appreciate all of the insight everyone, great stuff!

One of the reasons that I also wanted to upsize was because I'm tired of the ridiculous ground clearance in my M3 and having to slowly creep in and out of certain incline/declines. That said, how do you all feel about the clearance in the Model Y? Any scraping concerns?
I’ve had zero issues with clearance.

Depends on your priorities. I miss my M3, but I don't miss the service appointments and the visits to the gas station. Tesla is a 10 year old company competing with manufacturers that have been dong this for 50 years+. They're not going to be anywhere near as refined any regard. Materials, service, etc. All of these things will improve but it will take some time. Tesla is trying to meet demand right now.

Also, the Model Y Performance is VERY stiff and nowhere near as composed or sorted as an X3 M. Needs a bit more body control. You also don't have the traditional blind spot assist. I'd test drive one before pulling the trigger. I personally love being back in a car where I'm not isolated from driving experience.Tesla has figured out the perfect steering wheel weight in every mode and you even get a hint of feedback through the wheel which is something the German luxury brands take away. I LOVE my Model Y Long Range though and I don't know if I could ever own another ICE car. These cars have a tendency to spoil you.

If you do decide to move forward with the Y, make sure you protect the rear quarter and get the front mud flaps. It lowers your ride height but it's better than having a dinged up quarter panel.

Advantages? Autopilot is great but if you decide to get FSD, it's an entirely new ball game.

Last edited:
As some here have said, the performance of the BMW pales in comparison to the acceleration and smoothness of the Tesla YP driving experience, even if the Y has inferior specs, but I don't think it does. No real comparison once you drive it. I have a Model 3 LR. Before that, I had five different BMW 5 series cars over the previous 20+ years - most with the 3.5 and 4.0 liter engines. I'll never go back. Yes the BMW is more luxurious. No doubt there. But if you can get past that, it's not a contest.