Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Perf or BMW X3M?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Previous BMW owner of X5s and 5 series for multiple generations. Switched to Tesla with a couple Model Xs. The Model Xs were nice. Very good acceleration, but the handling and ride left a lot to be desired. The interior finish of the Model X was not as luxurious in my opinion as the recent X5 and 5 series. The material quality of the BMWs felt much more robust and durable, and there’s a certain refinement. The Model Y handles much better than the MX. The performance MY acceleration is insane. The MY interior is the simple with clean lines and more of a tech feel than luxury. The big advantage over BMW is Auto Pilot. The OTA updates IMHO are really to add functionality that was already there for BMW or fix problems that BMW never had or gimmicks, with exception of AP improvements. Tesla’s supercharging network, range, efficiency and acceleration make it the no brainer brand for EVs at this point.

Quick note on service. BMW is a true luxury auto maker with a long heritage. BMW service centers and advisors are in another class compared to Tesla.

I think this is a very accurate assessment. I am a 3 owner, not Y, but the build quality is very, very average at best. Not anywhere on par with a luxury automaker, but the 3 & Y are not luxury vehicles and I think they draw a bit different consumer.

Hi everyone - going through somewhat of a dilemma right now. I'm a serial BMW M3 owner whose F80 lease is coming end of term. I despise the looks of the new generation M3, so that has turned my attention to other models. I've basically narrowed things down to either the BMW X3M Competition or the Model Y Performance. I know it will be tough to get an objective view here, but any thoughts/leans on which way to go? I'd love to hear from some others that may have been in a similar boat.
I've owned 3 BMW's, a 530, 645 and a 650. The cars while under warranty were not so troublesome but when they went out of warranty the cost to keep them on the road plus the time wasted taking them in to the dealer was absurd. Every time I took them it it was always a flat rate of $900 minimum per problem. I had one that needed a transmission and that was going to be $10,000.... I sold it and bought an Infiniti G37 ILP convertible and drove it for 4 years and spent not one dime or one minute in the dealership. My new Model Y Performance had an initial problem which was repaired and since then I have had zero problems. I love the car, it is quiet, runs like a bat out of hell and is so thoughtfully designed that I don't think I could every drive a regular car.

Yes, people need to remember it's not leather, it's vinyl. That helps a LOT.
"Vegan leather"! :) I was worried about the white, and actually really like the black just fine, but the material seems to wear so well, I wouldn't worry (much) about the white. It's good stuff. Nearly 30k miles on my M3 LR at just under two years, and I'd never go back to an ICE vehicle. I love it as a road-trip car, too -- for two people. For three adults (our adult daughter went with us from NYC metro area to Florida over the winter holidays) it's a little tight, but the storage is great for a sedan its size. The Y has better back seat space and overall more storage.

Was right where the OP is about six months ago, but an Audi guy. Two S models in the garage and eyes on an RS. On a whim I drove a Model Y performance. Have one in the garage now and am not going to miss the S and RS maintenance costs. Mine came so fast I couldn’t even get my home charger installed so was using a wall plug for a few weeks. How fun it was to unplug from a wall plug in the garage go out and absolutely dust some unsuspecting Mustang drivers, then pick up some things at the hardware store and later put my trailer hitch bike rack on to go out for a mountain bike ride. Yes, I do miss the Audi ’cabin’ just a bit. But I am 100% happy with my decision and I spent less than an RS series car and will have about 10% the cost of maintenance, if that.

If Tesla could get material quality and build in line with those Audi vehicles you mentioned...🔥🔥🔥

I would love some high quality leather with contrast stitching on my seats and doors, and all the ergonomics of those high end luxury rides. I think they could do that while still maintaining the beautiful simplicity of the interior.

Reactions: mikew2069
Hi everyone - going through somewhat of a dilemma right now. I'm a serial BMW M3 owner whose F80 lease is coming end of term. I despise the looks of the new generation M3, so that has turned my attention to other models. I've basically narrowed things down to either the BMW X3M Competition or the Model Y Performance. I know it will be tough to get an objective view here, but any thoughts/leans on which way to go? I'd love to hear from some others that may have been in a similar boat.
Take a test drive if you haven’t yet. That will set the die.

Reactions: Deslah
Drive the Model Y.

For 30 years I was a serial 3 Series owner and loved the BMW's. But, I made the leap to Tesla 3 almost three years ago and I've never looked back. Yes, there are some "luxury" features in my 3s that I miss, but Tesla more than makes up for them. The joy of driving and the joy of service in your driveway for most service items, can't be beat. I'm a true Tesla believer.

As a previous BMW owner, 330, M3, X3 my warning to you all is NEVER AGAIN. I will never buy a BNW again. My family will never buy a BMW again. Today’s BMW is not the same company. The products are defective. Your timing chain will fail. Your engine will fail. BMW will look the other way. Just research the National Highway administration database. Look at all the class action lawsuits. After all these years as a BMW customer they turned their back on me. Put my family at risk. Never again. Thanks but no thanks to the Bayern Widow Makers. besides BMW are not “sporty” anymore. BMW these days are glorified Lincoln continental in German. Don’t waist your money or put your family at risk.

Tesla and EV advantage : 1. Driving acceleration is instantaneous 2. Carpool lane free and some tolls are free with e-pass (CA) , check if your region applies 3. No more change oil visits and go gas emission test 4. Cheaper fuel than gas 5. Car gets better with each software upgrade 6. Safety features and anti- roll over is best . Future proof your life > go EV 😊

Hate the new 2021 BMW kidney grill which resembles the buck teeth of a beaver.

If you are a big BMW lover I think you are going to really struggle with Tesla. My entire family are serial BMW drivers (M5, X5, X3, M2) and they loathe the Tesla wheel and they feel (as do I) that cornering at speed is noticeably different. You also don't get the cockpit feeling you get when you drive a BMW.

I think it will really come down to what you like/dislike about the BMW experience.
I think this is good advice.

I drove Porsche 911’s and Acura NSX and now have had a Porsche CaymanS for 14 years with zero issues. We bought a Model 3 2 motor sedan two years ago for my wife.

The major negative to the Tesla for someone who drives high end performance vehicles as you have been doing is simply that the suspension, while VERY good, is just not the same. So it’s still fun to drive the Porsche.

But almost everything else about the Tesla is just better for both of us. The handling is very, very good, but the acceleration is superior, even though we didn’t buy the performance model or do the 2K upgrade to faster acceleration.

Our fit and finish is great, the visibility is excellent, and the interior finish, while not super top end, is very nice. It is e trembly confirtabke, and way fun and EASY to drive. A huge plus is the DEceleration-in the active max regeneration setting, it really is “one-pedal driving”—we pride ourselves on almost never using the brakes. It’s like driving all the time in a very aggressive 2nd gear, or more like driving in 1st gear with no top end. Driving fast cars forever, I long ago decided that deceleration and maneuverability were more important than straight line acceleration.

These cars offer both in spades.

One of the other many joys is that we only go to a gas station a couple of tines a year now—to fill up the Cayman. The pleasure of having your own fuel pump in the garage at home is huge—especially because it’s tied in to our solar system, so much of our “fuel” is free. But the convenience is just outstanding.

For the Y crossovers, I understand the handling is not as good as the Model 3’s, I assume due to ride height and body height. And the e tea wright seems to require that you get a more powerful model at a higher cost. But still a great car.

I was a long-time BMW owner (3-series / 2-series for about 17 years or so.) Sold our last 2-series two years ago to buy our Model 3. I haven't regretted that decision for even a second.

I think you really need to get your butt into a Tesla Model 3/Y for a few days straight to get a solid feel for them. Consider renting a 3/Y on turo.com if there's a car available to rent near you.

But really bone up on some fanboy Youtube videos, so you're generally acquainted with everything beforehand.

And voice commands. Some people like to poo-poo everything being accessible via the touchscreen. But they overlook how easy it is to access certain functions via voice command. This video talks about a great web app that lists a lot of Tesla voice commands that aren't even publicized by Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: blinkme323
FWIW, the white interior shows dirt very easily, but cleans equally easy.
The biggest issue with the Tesla is that the fit and finish are not perfect. I have a few paint defects, and the alignment is not perfect of the doors and fenders, etc.
It's a very low key interior, but very usable. Great sound.
There's a Throttle House video of a M2 comp vs a Model 3 that helped convince me that the model 3 was a very good choice

I had been serial BMW 750i M package and S550 AMG driver for last 15 years, changing from one to another every 2-3 years, before that BMW X5 8 cyl. Everything changed when I discovered Tesla . Had Model Y Performance for 6 month, one of the first made , sold it after 6 month and 9500 miles and got Model X Dual Motor LR.
Here is what I have to say:
I don’t go back to BMW/Mercedes .
Model Y Performance is great and super fast but had a bit of a rough ride . Still better every day driver than any of my Germans.
Model X has better suspension and longer range , slightly slower (didn’t feel I need performance model) but still very fast. I actually got two Model Xs for the family.
I don’t miss all that leather and wood of Germans , I think Tesla has so much more to offer that all luxury of gas cars.

The interior of the Tesla is "interesting". Its basic, there's no getting away from it. But today I was cleaning off some paint that had transferred itself from my jumper to the car when I'd been painting a piece of furniture a couple of weeks ago. It took some scrubbing - leather would have been in shreds - as would most car interiors that I've come across. I wiped the Tesla material at the end and it was like new. If you are a user who doesn't treat his car as a showpiece - there's no question about the Tesla's interior longevity.

I drive BMWs 335, E34 M3, 750 etc. The MYP has been great, quick like no other vehicle, utility is awesome. The interior is more spartan, but comfortable. The tech advantage of Tesla is undeniable. I have 12k miles, no costs, no issues, and never tire of the acceleration. Range anxiety is a thing, worse in winter, but depends on your needs. Home charging is easy. I am a fan! My son now loves my 335 !!

I own a 2000 BMW M Coupe with no sunroof. I love the color of its paint (Imola Red) which I've never seen matched by any other red. When I detail the car it looks fantastic. I have test driven both the M3 and MY. I prefer the handling of the M3 to that of they MY. I thought it superior to my BMW when going around curves. I intend to sell the BMW as a collector car after I get a chance to test drive the Cybertruck so I can decide between it and the M3. I have no need for the perfomance option. It's all too easy to destroy a wheel when going over a pothole and to get rim rash. And I don't have a need to race people from a stoplight.

I'm retired so I'll use the Tesla for road trips and local errands. My backup car is a 2005 Honda Odyssey. I already installed a 240V outlet in my garage. I will miss the exterior looks and the nice feel of the BMW's interior, but I won't miss the ridiculously high cost of service.They're very easy to deal with, but once I had to tell them how to fix an issue with the heating/AC vent which I learned from a BMW forum.

Get a Model S P100D, P90D or 100D, 2017 or 2018. The storage in Model S is huge, especially with under trunk storage and seats down.

I own 2020 Model Y (with acceleration boost), 2014 Model S P85, and BMW X7M. I have owned Bentley benteyga SUV, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 2016 AMG C63s, Maserati Ghibli SQ4, 2019 Model 3 Standard range plus rwd, 2013 Model S85, 2016 Model X P90D, etc.... I owned the Bentley SUV and Tesla X P90D at the same time and raced them. The Tesla Model X P90D won 4 out of 5 times.

Tesla build quality is fine and they are durable. It's not perfect, but it's insignificant. My Bentley had build quality issues too lol. Model Y needs better suspension and the better air suspension will arrive in the Model Y in 2022 or 2023. It handles good, but doesn't absorb the bumps like a luxury suspension does; like in the Model S. Also a ton more road noise in the Model Y. Model S is luxury quiet. There is no better vehicle available, from any manufacturer, for the price point of Tesla. And when your Tesla does fall out of warranty, they are cheap to repair at Tesla compared to BMW and Mercedes and any import. Tesla is unaware that their retail prices to repair are too cheap and should increase in the future.

Also, get a NEMA 14-50 (strong dryer outlet basically) installed in your garage for nightly charging. Superchargers are not ideal for most people because it takes time to charge. I used to do it... it gets old, fast. Charging on a normal socket nightly isn't good either because the thin wired and receptacles are not made for constant heat and will burn up.... I also used to do it lol.

Go look at Model Y Storage vs Model S Storage... Model S has a large wide rear loading zone and low loading deck. This is why the Model S is the flagship for Tesla... it does everything, except tow. Honestly, and Model Y model you get is still way better than any comparable ICE. You'll never look back.

Audi E-tron GT and Porche e are no match for Tesla and never will be. Simply because a new Tesla Model S for $80,000 (lets even say $87500 with nice wheels and paint)is a ton more car than the others that cost $50,000 more. How is VW (Audi and Porsche's parent company) ever going to offer performance and range comparable to Tesla's. A loaded, Etron GT will run you $150,000 (130 for the base lol, plus 20k in options) and a loaded Porsche is 180-215k. VW will never be able to bring down their pricing by 40%.

I drove BMW’s for 30 years. 3, 7 series, a 530, and two 335’s both with Dinan upgrades. I was a bit nervous myself. I’m on my second model 3. I’ve loved driving my Tesla’s. At least with the model 3 the driving experience is comparable. Actually the Tesla is a bit quicker. The fit and finish on BMW’s is better and the service experience is better and of course more widely available. All that said, I will be sticking with Tesla going forward. Have you driven a model Y yet? I did not like it especially compared to the way a M3 drives. Unless you’re willing to accept something that feels a bit more like an SUV