Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Perf or BMW X3M?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned multiple BMW's over the years (1990-2019) most of them M-sport (318, 525, 550, 335, 428, X5) and now drive a Tesla M3P as my daily driver and absolutely love driving it. I leased for only 2 years and nearing the end as I wanted the MYP but they were not out two years ago. I ordered my MYP one week after taking delivery of the M3P as I expected it to take longer to get to market. I keep pushing back the delivery until my 2 year lease is up and may actually switch to a new M3P.

The fit and finish does not compare with that of the BMW or Mercedes, but the fact that it is more basic is part of the attraction. They have improved a whole lot since some of the early Model S that were poor at best in the fit and finish. It handles exceptionally well and has fantastic acceleration and we installed a charger at the house, so it has been great not to have to go to the gas station for the past 2 years. If you want to drive a fun electric car certainly add the performance option as it makes a big difference. Enjoy and I have yet to meet a friend who does not enjoy their Tesla and on our court in the Seattle area there are now 8 Tesla's (out of 15 houses) and one home with the Tesla Power Walls.....

If Tesla could get material quality and build in line with those Audi vehicles you mentioned...🔥🔥🔥

I would love some high quality leather with contrast stitching on my seats and doors, and all the ergonomics of those high end luxury rides. I think they could do that while still maintaining the beautiful simplicity of the interior.
Audi and Porsche may look like video game interiors, but their buttonless systems are not ergonomically friendly. Tesla are improving here.

Previous BMW owner of X5s and 5 series for multiple generations. Switched to Tesla with a couple Model Xs. The Model Xs were nice. Very good acceleration, but the handling and ride left a lot to be desired. The interior finish of the Model X was not as luxurious in my opinion as the recent X5 and 5 series. The material quality of the BMWs felt much more robust and durable, and there’s a certain refinement. The Model Y handles much better than the MX. The performance MY acceleration is insane. The MY interior is the simple with clean lines and more of a tech feel than luxury. The big advantage over BMW is Auto Pilot. The OTA updates IMHO are really to add functionality that was already there for BMW or fix problems that BMW never had or gimmicks, with exception of AP improvements. Tesla’s supercharging network, range, efficiency and acceleration make it the no brainer brand for EVs at this point.

Quick note on service. BMW is a true luxury auto maker with a long heritage. BMW service centers and advisors are in another class compared to Tesla.
p.s. regarding my previous reply, I thought you meant an M3. All my comments still apply except the driving experience. That will compare very favorably. You will love the Y

I've owned BMW convertibles and loved them. I switched to a Model 3 and have to say the driving experience is far superior. I love the "one pedal" driving through the countryside and the excelleration is superior. The constant up dating is a wonderful concept... your car is always "new". What I hated was the BMW service experience. Constantly trying to upcharge you... $350 oil changes. My favorite comeback was when they explained - but we check this, that and the other thing...I would respond- Sounds like a lot of checking and not a lot of doing. I'm into one year with my Model 3 and love the experience. My concern is whether Tesla will be able to keep up with the Big Guns when they finally get to market.

Hi everyone - going through somewhat of a dilemma right now. I'm a serial BMW M3 owner whose F80 lease is coming end of term. I despise the looks of the new generation M3, so that has turned my attention to other models. I've basically narrowed things down to either the BMW X3M Competition or the Model Y Performance. I know it will be tough to get an objective view here, but any thoughts/leans on which way to go? I'd love to hear from some others that may have been in a similar boat.
Go electric all the way!

Hi everyone - going through somewhat of a dilemma right now. I'm a serial BMW M3 owner whose F80 lease is coming end of term. I despise the looks of the new generation M3, so that has turned my attention to other models. I've basically narrowed things down to either the BMW X3M Competition or the Model Y Performance. I know it will be tough to get an objective view here, but any thoughts/leans on which way to go? I'd love to hear from some others that may have been in a similar boat.
Go electric all the way! Guaranteed performance vs m3

You know what the BMW car and experience will be like. if you try the MY P you’ll never go back to an ICE of any type. I have owned MB, BMW, AUDI, PORSCHE and I would never buy another ICE from any manufacturer after experiencing my 2020 Model S performance. Electric cars are just better in every way and Tesla is the best electric car period By a long shot. Eventually you’ll buy an electric car, just do it now and you won’t be sorry. It’s really that simple. If for some inexplicable reason your not satisfied your lease on the Tesla will be up and you can go back to ICE but I highly doubt that will occur. The reason so many of us are Tesla fanatics is because they really are that much better.

I second the recommendation posted earlier about trying to rent one on Turo.com, I'm guessing someone in your area has one for rent (it's like the VRBO of autos). I always thought Tesla's were very interesting but never thought I'd buy an EV ... or at least never had plans. After renting one last fall it really changed my mind and I bought a Model3 for around-town use a few months ago. It's really a game changer. At the time we also had a Lexus GX for SUV purposes (Mtb, Skiing, camping, etc) and X5 for family hauling. My wife adored the X5. She's had two X5's and an X3 but the X5 was totaled a week after I bought the Tesla and now she wants a Model Y after using my Model3 all the time. BMW and Tesla are different. Both have their preferred strengths based on the individual and I like them both but since I've already had several X's and an M3, M5 I'm content. I can't imagine 'not' having a Tesla/EV in our garage moving forward. As an auto enthusiast you owe it to yourself to check it out and see if it's for you - maybe it is, maybe it isn't but you won't know unless you try it.

Luxury is never going to a gas station and insane acceleration like your playing Frogger. Plush leather and lots of buttons is luxury 2010

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
I owned a 5 series in 2005 and own an Model 3 now.

An ICE BMW is its own wonderful experience.

There's an element to being in a dead quiet car at a stoplight that no ICE engine will prepare you for. I recommend an extended rental so you can relax into the experience. With my Model 3 at a stoplight, the sound levels are low enough that I can imagine I a sitting on a park bench somewhere.

There's fun to hearing a car growl. It's another experience to have massive amounts of power available without the cost of noise. It made me realize how I measured performance.

Whatever your choice, good luck.

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
Ive owned first gen audi TT quatro, X3, audi all-road, Mini's all sport models and then our Stelvio a dream to own an alfa. Our model Y has redefined our exoectations we think its a real break through - it will be the when you can get 400 miles per charge.

I have driven BMW's since the very first generation X5 in 1999. My husband had a BMW since the 80's. I was very brand loyal (X5, X3, X1, X4, 530e) keeping some of them for a long time (the X3 went from me, to my husband after a deer totaled his, then in turn to both daughters) and was running strong till we sold her for $4K. I waited for the X4, entertained going to Mercedes EQA, but for me the Tesla Model Y was a practical transition choice.

That said, as I have said (ad nauseum, I'm sure) in previous posts, I LOVE driving the Tesla. I was shocked. What I didn't like about the BMW toward the end (for me at least) we all the buttons, dials, etc. I just wanted a clean, SIMPLE interior. The room in the Model Y is similar to the X3 (maybe a little more?)

It does feel a tad lighter than the BMW, and has a less luxurious feel inside than a BMW, but that is what I was personally looking for. That's what you need to decide. My neighbor hates his Tesla (moved to a Model S from a 630 BMW) because it was too spartan inside.

I recommend that you drive a Tesla or two if you haven't already.

You should at least test a Giulia Quadrifoglio. I had the 2.0 TI performance and then a model 3 long range. The Model 3 LR is not in the same league. I doubt the MYP has any miracles applied. Coming from an M3, you may not care for the Model Y handling.

The Model Y Performance (which my wife drives) is the best car we've ever owned...and that includes 3 other Teslas (S, 3, X) and 11 BMWs (that's eleven, not a typo--everything from a 318 to the eight series). This car is better looking than the M3, faster, handles better...and is just more fun to drive. And never having to go the the gas station again--charger's in my garage and fills easily over night. It's really not a fair comparison. For starters electric motors give 100% torque at time zero--a gas engine has to get way too much mass moving to get the car going to be competitive. And the heavy battery that makes up the total bottom of the Y provides a huge competitive advantage in terms of a very low center of gravity (read: corners on rails).

Truth be told, the Y is not just a better way to drive...it's a better way to live. And all that says not one word about the environment.

I agree with @Deslah that the best way to decide is to rent one from Turo for a weekend. Spend the $400 to get an informed opinion. That's what I did in 2019, and I expected to hate the car, but I wound up buying one instead. Now the aging 2001 Porsche Boxster is going to AutoNation in a couple of weeks, because even when it's a nice day- I still want to drive the $35,000 Model 3 instead. Boxster is a fabulous car, but it just doesn't get any road time now.

However, I'll also throw in that I'm not at all happy with Tesla as a company, and that my enthusiasm is temporary. Currently they own the market but only right now. IF they get any decent competition in the EV space, I'm selling the 3. They just rammed a software update down my throat that I didn't want, and ruined the user interface in my opinion. It's made my driving noticeably less safe. And they give zero options to fix it. No way to change the look or roll back the software, or even hold it off- so I'm completely at their mercy and they have stupid ideas for UI now. They always talk about how the cars always improve- but this version is clearly worse. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this opinion, but I think it's clear that Tesla has become more abusive over the years because of their monopoly and raging sales success.

Reactions: slee29
You should at least test a Giulia Quadrifoglio. I had the 2.0 TI performance and then a model 3 long range. The Model 3 LR is not in the same league. I doubt the MYP has any miracles applied. Coming from an M3, you may not care for the Model Y handling.

Why would he cross-shop an X3 and Model Y against a RWD sedan? Stelvio Quad would make for an interesting comparison but it's pretty niche.

M
Hi everyone - going through somewhat of a dilemma right now. I'm a serial BMW M3 owner whose F80 lease is coming end of term. I despise the looks of the new generation M3, so that has turned my attention to other models. I've basically narrowed things down to either the BMW X3M Competition or the Model Y Performance. I know it will be tough to get an objective view here, but any thoughts/leans on which way to go? I'd love to hear from some others that may have been in a similar boa

I was in the market for an M4 before I bought my MY. But I also looked at the X3M, the MB GLC AMG43, the Audi SQ5, the Alpha Stelvia Quadrifoglio and a couple of others. Yes, I know, price differences but that wasn't the point. To be fair I'm in love with the 2014-18 M6 GranCoupe (sexiest looking car BMW ever made, IMHO, and what a driver!) but couldn't find one nearby with decently low miles. Was just looking for a nice, comfortable, stylish vehicle that had some juice. I was kind of interested in the Tesla, but was a little wary of the whole fanboy passion around the brand. I also had the same reaction you did to the new grills on the M sedans & coupes. Total showstopper. Settled on the crossover body style (mostly for ease of access and cargo space).

The interiors of the German marques are really quite nice and I love the sound of a muscular ICE (especially that inline 6). But at the end of the day, what moved me to the Tesla was the quickness, the modernly spartan interior (mine is white, which as someone else suggested, looks pretty luxe), the seat comfort, voluminous space, never having to buy another gallon of gas, quart of oil, replace the exhaust system, fuel system, yadda, yadda. Oh, and the glass roof. The car handles pretty well; nice and flat with a nice neutral feel to it. The ride can be a bit firm, even harsh over holes and highways joints. The seats are comfy but don't offer much lateral support, and when I'm driving in a more spirited fashion, I kind of feel like I'm getting tossed around a bit. Some better bolstering would make it feel more secure. Also, the Bimmer has a much more intimate feeling cockpit, while the Tesla is open and airy. And finally, the controls take a little getting used to.

But all in all, I'm happy with my model T. I can't say that it is better or worse than an X3M, but it is quicker, roomier and handles a tad better, and it has cost me much less to operate.

Hope this helps.

I have an Audi A4 and a Model Y Long Range. The interior on the Audi is definitely nicer, but the MY isn't bad, just different. I have a white interior - the black leather in my Audi was constantly too hot in the summer and the white is much better. I haven't had any issues keeping it clean so far. The two big things I miss when I drive the Tesla are the ride and CarPlay.

The ride in the Tesla is definitely harsher than the Audi. It's not bad on smooth roads, but you really notice any bumps. I got mine in July and supposedly the newer models are better. I'd definitely recommend taking a test drive to compare them. Cabin noise is a bit more than the audi but still not bad.

CarPlay I miss every time I drive. I listen to podcasts and TuneIn (the podcast app/service Tesla has) absolutely sucks! There are workarounds, but there's nothing that is as smooth and seamless as CarPlay is. making/answering phone calls and voice-controlled text messages are not as good, either.

The tesla map is pretty good. It's not as accurate with traffic as Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze is, and it isn't integrated with your calendar and contacts the way Apple maps is either, but I've never had it steer me wrong.