Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Perf or BMW X3M?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've also owned multiple M3's. I purchased a 2002 and sold it 6 months later to buy a 2003 when the SMG gearbox became available. It put 50K hard miles on that car and could not break it. As for the Y vs. X3 question, the vehicles are so different that it should be an easy choice for you if you drove each one. Do you want to live in the future or hold onto the past?

Reactions: DAJ8895 and pkitch
I'm coming from a long line of BMWs (Including M cars) and Audis. The Tesla (Model 3) is just so much well thought out. Not just the incredible drive train but the features from the OTA updates, the way the car integrates with the App, "little" things like Netflix & YouTube (awesome for the kids when they are waiting for you in the store), and zero maintenance after 2 years & 30,000 miles just make it a completely different & better experience vs any German (or really any ICE).

No way am I going back to going to gas stations, dealers and clunky technologies of the past.

My friend is a M3 fanatic and recently drove my MY P. He couldn't believe how easy it was to drive to its stated specs. Remember, it is nearly impossible for anyone other than a truly professional driver in ideal conditions to achieve the stated specs of ICE vehicles. In other words, in the real world with an average driver the Y P is far superior because it just does it, without extra effort from the driver (and it does it everywhere, including a very curvy and steep uphill which would challenge most ICE drivers).

I agree with the general consensus that BMW has fancier interiors.
Fancy interiors are cool but are they actually better? Is a 1-2% better seat actually worth an extra 20k over the MY?

thought I would miss my BMW...nope; I love my Tesla and drive it while all the others just sit and now I like the clean inside without all the dials and knobs. There are so many small things that make it a pleasure, you need to drive one for a month and then you will understand, And no more SMOG tests! or belt replacements ever. I plan on keeping the Teslas till I die and hope to dump my other cars and trucks this year.

lol that's great, his and her Model Y performance cars.

I only had to watch and follow a few people on Youtube and see the comparisons to learn if buying a new vehicle 40K+ USD, EV is the only way to go. Otherwise buy used now if you need something and wait 2-5 years to buy the EV that fits your needs. The instant torque, ease of driving, autopilot on the freeway is all so much more advanced.
Very much agreed! Yes it’s been great. Before she’d make fun of me because the Y is 1 second faster to 60 than the x4M40i is, now we argue about which paint color on the MYP is lightest, making it faster to 60.

thought I would miss my BMW...nope; I love my Tesla and drive it while all the others just sit and now I like the clean inside without all the dials and knobs. There are so many small things that make it a pleasure, you need to drive one for a month and then you will understand, And no more SMOG tests! or belt replacements ever. I plan on keeping the Teslas till I die and hope to dump my other cars and trucks this year.
I am trying to decide if I really need to keep my MDX. It would be nice to be able to carry a few bigger things from HomeDepot, but it would be sooo great to get back one slot in the garage (for all my woodworking tools)! What to do, what to do!

I am trying to decide if I really need to keep my MDX. It would be nice to be able to carry a few bigger things from HomeDepot, but it would be sooo great to get back one slot in the garage (for all my woodworking tools)! What to do, what to do!
I have owned Acura MDX 2001, 2008 and 2020. My wife drives 2020. I sold my 2008 MDX for $9500 on Craigslist in less than 24 hours. So I cannot say anything bad about MDX. Did not have any reliability issues with MDX and service was excellent

I have 2021 MY now. It is far more fun to drive than MDX. It is quite.

homedepot let’s you rent pickup trucks to haul stuff. They are cheap. Even with MDX you may be better off using a rented truck.

if you had a big dog who travels in a big crate on a regular basis you will be fine with MY.

if you live close to a Tesla Service Center you will be fine even if you need service.

Reactions: DAJ8895 and WADan
For what it's worth, I went to Lowe's yesterday to pick up an Ego mower for my dad. The Y of course carried it, but I had to take out the car seat and drop both rear seat to fit it. I suspect the MDX would not need to do that (in particular if it's a more recent model). We considered the brand new MDX, specifically waiting for the Type S. I still really like it, but no regrets on the model Y Performance!

I still have my 2016 BMW 328I. It just sits in the garage. I only drive my M3P now. No comparison. Acceleration never gets old. I love the sound system and voice commands. I don’t miss any instruments on the dashboard. Tesla spoiled me and I’ve only had it for little more then a week.
Just sell it! I bought my M3P- about 9 months ago. My 2011 Audi A5 is still sitting on the street in front of my house, battery dead =( I thought I would honestly keep driving it after my M3P- because I thought I would miss my good ol' ICE car. It does have a full suspension and upgraded K04 turbo, but it doesn't hold a candle to the driving experience of the Tesla. Now I regret paying the tags and insurance on it for almost a year now without even driving it.

Reactions: DAJ8895
Hi everyone - going through somewhat of a dilemma right now. I'm a serial BMW M3 owner whose F80 lease is coming end of term. I despise the looks of the new generation M3, so that has turned my attention to other models. I've basically narrowed things down to either the BMW X3M Competition or the Model Y Performance. I know it will be tough to get an objective view here, but any thoughts/leans on which way to go? I'd love to hear from some others that may have been in a similar boat.
Hey z335is, l used to be a BMW guy like you, I've owned two different models, 2006 530xi, I took that one to 289,000 miles and 2013 X5 5.0, 120,000 miles, awesome vehicles, nothing like a bimmer, but as of Noverber 28th. 2020, Model Y performance. The number one reason that I think that makes it all worth my purchase is my time. All of the reasons that you'll hear, the power, instantaneous torque, the smoothness, are all true and will blow you away, but personally coming from BMW and knowing how labor intensive they can be, my time is what most stands out, I haven't had to any scheduled maintenance. I drive a whole heck of a lot, I am already over 10,000 miles in my five months of ownership, and being able to spend maximum time with my family just blows my mind, no more oil changes or scheduled maintenance. All things I did because I had to, had no choice is no more. And people out there have got no idea just how fast these Tesla's are. So just food for thought for you.
1a546bc0062ddacc314984c56da9b0b5.jpg

I've been lurking in this thread long enough. :) I'm also a serial BMW owner since 1995 (and my Dad before me). My dilemma was a little bit different, though.

I have my P85D+ (now a P100D+) and until recently, my beloved 2002 E39 M5. My wife has a 2009 335i convertible, and before that, we had a 2010 Z4 (sold that to get a P85+).

So my wife and I just moved and only have garage space for three cars**, but I really wanted to get an SUV for hauling stuff and winter driving. Yes, the Model S is good for both of those tasks, but I loath driving it in the snow for fear of getting hit by bad winter drivers, and then having to wait months to get it repaired. I have been driving the M5 in the snow (with proper snow tires), but it's still RWD and not great for hauling.

Anyhow, since the Cybertruck isn't available yet, I ended up selling my E39 M5 and instead we bought a 2016 X6M for those winter driving/hauling duties. I just couldn't give up my E39 M5 in exchange for a MX or MY. Sorry, just couldn't do it!!! I definitely didn't want an MX due to the falcon wing doors (don't have kids around), and I felt an MY seemed small for hauling big stuff around (yes, I know the X6 and MY are about the same cargo space if you don't count the frunk). Also, the MY Perf was about $15k more than the X6M. But when the CT gets here, we'll sell the X6M (although my wife isn't too thrilled about that part, she loves driving it).

** We're fixing that by tearing down the 2-car garage and rebuilding it higher so we can put in two lifts, so we'll have room for five cars! Have to make room for the new Roadster! 😁

1619173934999.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DAJ8895 and 2101Guy
I've been lurking in this thread long enough. :) I'm also a serial BMW owner since 1995 (and my Dad before me). My dilemma was a little bit different, though.

I have my P85D+ (now a P100D+) and until recently, my beloved 2002 E39 M5. My wife has a 2009 335i convertible, and before that, we had a 2010 Z4 (sold that to get a P85+).

So my wife and I just moved and only have garage space for three cars**, but I really wanted to get an SUV for hauling stuff and winter driving. Yes, the Model S is good for both of those tasks, but I loath driving it in the snow for fear of getting hit by bad winter drivers, and then having to wait months to get it repaired. I have been driving the M5 in the snow (with proper snow tires), but it's still RWD and not great for hauling.

Anyhow, since the Cybertruck isn't available yet, I ended up selling my E39 M5 and instead we bought a 2016 X6M for those winter driving/hauling duties. I just couldn't give up my E39 M5 in exchange for a MX or MY. Sorry, just couldn't do it!!! I definitely didn't want an MX due to the falcon wing doors (don't have kids around), and I felt an MY seemed small for hauling big stuff around (yes, I know the X6 and MY are about the same cargo space if you don't count the frunk). Also, the MY Perf was about $15k more than the X6M. But when the CT gets here, we'll sell the X6M (although my wife isn't too thrilled about that part, she loves driving it).

** We're fixing that by tearing down the 2-car garage and rebuilding it higher so we can put in two lifts, so we'll have room for five cars! Have to make room for the new Roadster! 😁

View attachment 656234
Model Y Perf $15k more than a X6M? Im guessing you mean new Model Y compared to used X6M

View attachment 656234
Lol, we just can't be rid of the bimmer, they are just great vehicles and then there is the sentimental value associated for everyone who has ever owned a BMW....that X6M looks awesome, but this is TMC, so let's focus. Lol, that idea to go up with your garage is a great idea, btw....

I just sold my 2013 BMW 550 M sport package when I bought the Y. I loved the BMW, never had any issues, the quality was great and always outstanding customer service.
Comparing to the tesla, on the BMW you could feel the luxury as soon as you step in. The tesla is plain, which I still enjoy, but missing something.
I also enjoy the look of the BMW, always well-balanced shapes and aggressive looking, however the new gills are kind of ugly.
MY is also beautiful but on a different way, I feel the shape is not as balanced as a BMW but still pretty.
The driving experience, well... the Tesla is a monster, it is just so much fun. Like riding a supercharged roller coaster.
Overall I feel that going from the bMW to tesla you will lose some quality on some things and a big drop on customer service. You will gain a ridiculous enjoyable ride and some good tech.

Attachments

• IMG_2605.JPG
    IMG_2605.JPG
    512.4 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: DAJ8895 and pkitch
I'm selling my 2018 X3m40i to go into MY. I'm tired of the repairs that will be coming up.
Lol, you leaving an awesome ride, but I must say, I have owned my Y since November 28 of last year and I have only had to take it into service for one item, and they even said they have never seen the issue I had before. So needless to say, you shouldn't even know what a repair is or service for that matter, they are going to become a foreign word to you.