Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance—staggered setup with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a Model Y Performance, and I’m going to need all season tires. I’m looking at the Quatrac Pros as a good balance of low road noise and good performance.

Visually, I'm thinking of keeping using the stock rims (or getting a second set of the same), which are the 21" Uberturbines with wider rear tires.

Any issues running A/S tires in a staggered setup? And/or any particular wheel recommendations to do so? Going down to a 20" rim might open a lot more tire options, and that would be fine, too

Would it be safe to run 255/40R20 for front and 275/40R20 for rear?
Thanks for any ideas!

Last edited:
Just got a Model Y Performance, and I’m going to need all season tires. I’m looking at the Quatrac Pros as a good balance of low road noise and good performance.

Visually, I'm thinking of keeping using the stock rims (or getting a second set of the same), which are the 21" Uberturbines with wider rear tires.

Any issues running A/S tires in a staggered setup? And/or any particular wheel recommendations to do so? Going down to a 20" rim might open a lot more tire options, and that would be fine, too

Would it be safe to run 255/40R20 for front and 275/40R20 for rear?
Thanks for any ideas!
I just got that setup. Got factory 20 turbines and Pirelli Soto zero 3 255/40/20 front, 275/40/20 rears. Service told me to not get 19” wheels it will interfree with brakes.

The reason that Tesla is stating that the winter wheel and tire packages in 19" Gemini and 20" Induction wheels with the Pirelli SOTTOZERO 3 winter tires may be due to the speed rating of the SOTTOZERO 3 winter tires. The 19" SOTTOZERO 3 tire (255/45-19) and 20" 255/40-20 have a speed rating of V. The 20" SOTTOZERO 3 tire is also available with a speed rating of W.

A V speed rating is for up to 149 MPH.
A W speed rating is for up to 168 MPH

The Performance Model Y's top speed is 165 MPH. Technically the tires need to be rated W (168) or Y (186 MPH.)