Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance—staggered setup with winter tires?

F123456

May 3, 2016
NoVA
Just got a Model Y Performance, and I’m going to need all season tires. I’m looking at the Quatrac Pros as a good balance of low road noise and good performance.

Visually, I'm thinking of keeping using the stock rims (or getting a second set of the same), which are the 21" Uberturbines with wider rear tires.

Any issues running A/S tires in a staggered setup? And/or any particular wheel recommendations to do so? Going down to a 20" rim might open a lot more tire options, and that would be fine, too

Would it be safe to run 255/40R20 for front and 275/40R20 for rear?
Thanks for any ideas!

Last edited:

F123456

May 3, 2016
NoVA
I got a set of 19" Gemini wheels and put Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s on them. I feel I can drive through anything with those suckers, and the Geminis without the wheel cover and the caps look quite nice.
What's the ride quality and noise level like?

52 16 57 39

BioDiesel & Electrons
Nov 20, 2020
Tacoma, WA
I got a set of 19" Gemini wheels and put Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s on them. I feel I can drive through anything with those suckers, and the Geminis without the wheel cover and the caps look quite nice.
Same. I have the 19” Gemini w stock continentals but will look to the R3s when the Contis wear out.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC