Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance 21"- Pirelli or Michelin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My March 2020 Performance Y has hit 12,500 miles and the rear tires have little wear bar left. I drive pretty aggressivly and I did have fun launching from light to light when it was newer. I hoping the next set will last me 15-20k. Front set looks like it can last another 15k miles

TireRack's review seems to place Michelin far above Pirelli in every category, but most of the reviews are not from Tesla owners. Michelin is about $30 less and is about 7% better on UTQG. I'm not sure if I should mix Pirelli front with Michelin rear or go with Pirelli then replace all 4 next go around. I'm leaning toward OEM Pirelli currently.

Any suggestions?

Replace 2 of the factory Pirelli's and rotate them this time. When all 4 are worn out, replace with the new Michelin Pilot Sport EV's

Attachments

• micdrop.jpeg
    micdrop.jpeg
    20.8 KB · Views: 641
Reactions: Velcade and Daekwan
My March 2020 Performance Y has hit 12,500 miles and the rear tires have little wear bar left. I drive pretty aggressivly and I did have fun launching from light to light when it was newer. I hoping the next set will last me 15-20k. Front set looks like it can last another 15k miles

TireRack's review seems to place Michelin far above Pirelli in every category, but most of the reviews are not from Tesla owners. Michelin is about $30 less and is about 7% better on UTQG. I'm not sure if I should mix Pirelli front with Michelin rear or go with Pirelli then replace all 4 next go around. I'm leaning toward OEM Pirelli currently.

Any suggestions?
I replaced the 21” Ubers to 20” and tires to a pzero all season. I’m replacing the pzero all season this week after 20,000 Miles. Had them on since October 2020. They did fine in the cold and lite snow we had this past winter in Maryland.

I also drive aggressive and did not rotate them at all. The rear tires are worn down and the fronts have some tread left.
The attached pictures are the 20” with the pzero AS.

I am going with the Michelin pilot sport AS this time around.

Attachments

• 82785448-C9E6-4167-BCEB-2276D1C0430A.jpeg
    82785448-C9E6-4167-BCEB-2276D1C0430A.jpeg
    752.2 KB · Views: 395
  • C3643276-531E-4EC4-8B52-986D03E46887.jpeg
    C3643276-531E-4EC4-8B52-986D03E46887.jpeg
    885.9 KB · Views: 411
Anyone else have any real tire experience with the 21 ubers? Not asking about the 20s. I would also like to know if there are all season tires for the performance ubers that will give you 20k to 30k miles life. I don't plan on tracking and the all season will be plenty of traction with the all wheel drive for me.

Yes, tires are staggered, so no front/rear rotation, only left/right since they’re non directional.
I’m in Southern California, so I hardly have to deal with snow. Michelin are not made for Tesla’s so I don’t think it has foam lining for sound dampening. I didn’t notice a big different going with non foam for my 2015 S 21”, but the newer Y seems quieter so foam may make a difference, I don’t know.
Lionel, did you put Michelins on your MYP? Any louder without the foam? No foam makes tire repair easier. You can even use Tesla tire repair foam kit without gunking up the built in silencing foam.

Yes, tires are staggered, so no front/rear rotation, only left/right since they’re non directional.
I’m in Southern California, so I hardly have to deal with snow. Michelin are not made for Tesla’s so I don’t think it has foam lining for sound dampening. I didn’t notice a big different going with non foam for my 2015 S 21”, but the newer Y seems quieter so foam may make a difference, I don’t know.
Lionel, did you put Michelins on your MYP? Any louder without the foam? No foam makes tire repair easier. You can even use Tesla tire repair foam kit without gunking up the built in silencing foam.
Are you sure the wheels are nondirectional? I didn't know.

I haven't replaced the OE Pirellis yet. I will use the Pilot Sport all season when I do replace (I take the Y through areas that have chain control during winter storms and the all season has the M+S designation). But I've put the PS4 or its predecessor on a number of previous cars and it is a terrific tire. Don't care about the foam and haven't heard anybody say it makes a real world difference.

Any suggestions?
My rears lasted 30k miles both times, they were very bald lol, my fronts are ready to be changed and I have 70k miles on my Model Y
Just thought I would let you know you should be able to get more than 15k miles
Out of your fronts.
Wouldn't hurt to try Michelin mabey they won't wear as fast.

Attachments

• 20210918_114628.jpg
    20210918_114628.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 438
  • Funny
Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
My rears lasted 30k miles both times, they were very bald lol, my fronts are ready to be changed and I have 70k miles on my Model Y
Just thought I would let you know you should be able to get more than 15k miles
Out of your fronts.
Wouldn't hurt to try Michelin mabey they won't wear as fast.
How did you even wear them that bald? Any spot of rain would be spin city