Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance 21" Tires - Larger, More Comfortable Fitment Details and Experience - Michelin AS4's (With Photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Literally just picked up my car after having the new tires installed (Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Season F: 265/40/21 R: 295/40/21). I've only done a couple laps around my business complex so I can't report on road feel yet. I can confirm no rubbing on U-turns or turning into a steeper driveway.

Last week, I had to bring in my Tesla to the Van Nuys Service Center for an issue with my charge port. Part of the service visit included an assessment of the tires on the car. They gave me back a "3mm tread remaining" with the advisement to not replace my tires at this time. Are you f'ing kidding me? Look at the pictures I attached with the steel belt showing on the rears. Hilarious!!! Thankfully I ignored Tesla's advice and replaced the tires anyway.

As others have posted, I love the new look and feel of the car. It looks like I lowered it and the ride height is slightly higher. Both are great changes that I was going for. It's funny too because my local tire shop is owned by a friend of mine and he's located directly next door to my own business. Even when he was ordering the tires for me, he kept asking, "Are you sure they are going to fit?" I kept reassuring him that they would indeed fit as I had seen pictures of other peoples' MYP on Tesla Forums and they were fine. After he gave me the car back, he said, "This is how it should have come from the factory. These look way better than the factory size and there's plenty of clearance." I'm looking forward to some longer drives later this week and I'll report back the results. Thanks again to those of you who posted so much information and pics of the finished result.

Attachments

• IMG_2524.jpg
    IMG_2524.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_2525.jpg
    IMG_2525.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_2526.jpg
    IMG_2526.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_2527.jpg
    IMG_2527.jpg
    761.8 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_2528.jpg
    IMG_2528.jpg
    692.7 KB · Views: 598
  • IMG_2529.jpg
    IMG_2529.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:
Literally just picked up my car after having the new tires installed (Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Season F: 265/40/21 R: 295/40/21). I've only done a couple laps around my business complex so I can't report on road feel yet. I can confirm no rubbing on U-turns or turning into a steeper driveway.

Last week, I had to bring in my Tesla to the Van Nuys Service Center for an issue with my charge port. Part of the service visit included an assessment of the tires on the car. They gave me back a "3mm tread remaining" with the advisement to not replace my tires at this time. Are you f'ing kidding me? Look at the pictures I attached with the steel belt showing on the rears. Hilarious!!! Thankfully I ignored Tesla's advice and replaced the tires anyway.

As others have posted, I love the new look and feel of the car. It looks like I lowered it and the ride height is slightly higher. Both are great changes that I was going for. It's funny too because my local tire shop is owned by a friend of mine and he's located directly next door to my own business. Even when he was ordering the tires for me, he kept asking, "Are you sure they are going to fit?" I kept reassuring him that they would indeed fit as I had seen pictures of other peoples' MYP on Tesla Forums and they were fine. After he gave me the car back, he said, "This is how it should have come from the factory. These look way better than the factory size and there's plenty of clearance." I'm looking forward to some longer drives later this week and I'll report back the results. Thanks again to those of you who posted so much information and pics of the finished result.
Don't forget to submit manufacture rebate goto mitchellin website online form copy of receipt

$120 visa

• Love
Reactions: Raiders

You got all the life out of those old tires. :oops:

• Funny
Reactions: Cavity and Raiders

Congrats! Do keep In Mind, the first 1000 miles on new tires you can get slightly worse efficiency. They do wear in a bit.

Hi all and thanks everyone for posting their experiences

I have a 3 week old MYP and thinking of doing the tire upgrade but mixing the two approaches that have been talked about here. Are there any negatives to:
- move stock 275/35 to the front
- upgrade rear to 295/40
ie what issues would arise with differed sidewall heights

Thanks!

Reactions: burtinboy
I'm taking delivery of a MYP sometime in the next few weeks and wondering if some Pirelli winter tires I have for the vehicle I'm trading in (2020 Ford Edge ST) will work for at least the fronts only. They're 265/40/21 and have ~7.5k miles on them. I'm thinking maybe I could get away with just buying 2 for the rear in a slightly larger size like 285/40/21 and then I have a couple of extras for the front already when they wear out. I'd appreciate input from others here. Will the uneven tread wear on the front cause me issues?

I'm happy to report the result of swap is a success!
275/35-21
295/35-21
So far no rub and looks pretty great.

I purchased 295 from Costco and had to have some argument with sales rep and supervisor about installation. But after actually examining the stock tire supervisor agreed to do the installation.

Not sure if it is due to initial install being too stretched out or if sidewall is different variant due to Tesla specific model, the 275 I transferred to the front has its sidewall sticking out in a weird angle. 295 on the rear on the other hand looks flush and awesome.

Just joined the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 275/35/21 and 295/35/21 club today. Just wanted to ask, for those people who have these tires, are ya'll getting vibration, especially on the steering wheel at speeds over 65-70mph? I had the Pirelli's before and didn't notice it vibrating this much. It's not crazy vibration, just slight but noticeable.
Could it be that the tires are brand new (just drove a total of 40 miles in them) and I just need more time to break them in? Or should I get Tire Rack to recheck the wheel balances and all or bring to a Tesla SC? Appreciate any help and info, thanks!

Hi all and thanks everyone for posting their experiences

I have a 3 week old MYP and thinking of doing the tire upgrade but mixing the two approaches that have been talked about here. Are there any negatives to:
- move stock 275/35 to the front
- upgrade rear to 295/40
ie what issues would arise with differed sidewall heights

Thanks!
I wouldn’t. It will take a different amount of force/energy to move the front motor compared to the rear. The car comes with same diameter tires. I would not change that. It might mess with the way the engines are designed to work together and traction control. This isn’t a gas car with all the variable, adjustable parts in the drivetrain. It’s a computer with wheels.

And with such a new car, this isn’t really something to “upgrade”, it’s something to do when you replace your tires. This is $1700 for a slight change…

Reactions: saj070
Just joined the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 275/35/21 and 295/35/21 club today. Just wanted to ask, for those people who have these tires, are ya'll getting vibration, especially on the steering wheel at speeds over 65-70mph? I had the Pirelli's before and didn't notice it vibrating this much. It's not crazy vibration, just slight but noticeable.
Could it be that the tires are brand new (just drove a total of 40 miles in them) and I just need more time to break them in? Or should I get Tire Rack to recheck the wheel balances and all or bring to a Tesla SC? Appreciate any help and info, thanks!
After any tire remount you need to have it balanced. Tires have heavy spot marked and they need to align with the wheel and then balance with weight if still unbalanced.

I have this setup and have no noticeable increase in vibration between 0 to 90.

I'm 5 weeks and some distance with the AS4s in 265/40 and 295/40. Still no rubbing. I think it's quieter than the pirelli p0s, in addition to having a way better ride, curb protection, appearance, and safety when it's not 90 degrees and sunny. They also let me save my snow tires for ski season, not just when it's cold.

Thanks again so much @Raurele !

Americas tire did my balance when the installed. I do 85-90 regularly and it’s smooth as butter. Def get things checked out

Reactions: necroregion
I just put about 600 miles on these tires. Michelin AS4 265/40 295/40

As others have said, no rubbing, smooth ride, quiet and decent handling. I’m really glad I read this thread before replacing my factory Pirellis. I’m running all four tires at 40psi.

I notice that these tires eat up some of the road buzz I used to feel on chip-seal roads and road imperfections. My efficiency was slightly reduced with the new sticky tread, but it was also extremely windy on my drives. I didn’t notice a handling falloff or improvement over the Pirellis, but I didn’t really push the car too much on this trip.

Thanks again to all that posted this info. You were exactly right that these tires transform the car on the Uberturbines.

I just put about 600 miles on these tires. Michelin AS4 265/40 295/40

As others have said, no rubbing, smooth ride, quiet and decent handling. I’m really glad I read this thread before replacing my factory Pirellis. I’m running all four tires at 40psi.

I notice that these tires eat up some of the road buzz I used to feel on chip-seal roads and road imperfections. My efficiency was slightly reduced with the new sticky tread, but it was also extremely windy on my drives. I didn’t notice a handling falloff or improvement over the Pirellis, but I didn’t really push the car too much on this trip.

Thanks again to all that posted this info. You were exactly right that these tires transform the car on the Uberturbines.
I run at 38-39 PSA cold. If you drive a good amount like I do , It gets up to 42-43 as they heat up. I would never go above 40 cold.

Happy I could help! Makes an amazing car even better

Reactions: saj070