Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance 21" Tires - Larger, More Comfortable Fitment Details and Experience - Michelin AS4's (With Photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fantastic review, Raurele. I have been running exactly the same setup since last year and it is fantastic.

American Tire refused to install at first. They were concerned about rubbing. Like you, I never have had an issue with rubbing, front or rear.

I have hit curbs hard enough to have scratched the wheels with the old tires, but no issue with these. I guess tire manufacturers realize this is an issue as they are now making"T0" Tesla spec with the thicker rim protector as fiehlsport mentioned. Curious if anyone has tried these?

In addition, these tires really handle the potholes much better than the OEM Pirellis. I believe this is due to the higher sidewalls and the overall construction of the Michelins.
I had to talk to the manager and told him I’m liable if they don’t fit. He said okay. I was definitely nervous. Haha

Reactions: OutofPocket
The OE tires are "T0" Tesla spec, which actually has a thicker rim protector that sticks out - spec'd by Tesla for this purpose. So, if you have a propensity to drive into curbs, worth noting. They're stretched, but the rim guard is specifically larger on this custom tire to account for fitment on the Uberturbines.

Also, you don't need to change the aspect ratio to gain some thickness. Going with a wider tire and staying with a 35-series tire will still get you a slight increase in sidewall height due to the nature of how the measurements work.

Personally I think going up to a "40" looks a bit awkward but that's just me :)
These tires have a thicker rim protector than the OEM ones.

The OE tires are "T0" Tesla spec, which actually has a thicker rim protector that sticks out - spec'd by Tesla for this purpose. So, if you have a propensity to drive into curbs, worth noting. They're stretched, but the rim guard is specifically larger on this custom tire to account for fitment on the Uberturbines.

Also, you don't need to change the aspect ratio to gain some thickness. Going with a wider tire and staying with a 35-series tire will still get you a slight increase in sidewall height due to the nature of how the measurements work.

Personally I think going up to a "40" looks a bit awkward but that's just me :)
Yes 295/35/21 gave the perfect balance in width and thickness sidewall for a sport performance look

Reactions: Destiny1701
I should point out that the initial reason I went 40 is because 35s in all relevant sizes were on a national backorder and still are. Happy I did though.
Honestly yours worked out well, i just got lucky and we have them available locally in Los Angeles
It fits what i was trying achieve with my vehicle being lowered and i have on wheel spacers
Enjoy

This may be a n00b question, but if the larger tire affects the speedometer does that also mean the odometer will be inaccurate?
… I actually didn’t think about that… looking into it, it looks like yes… about 5% so 100k miles will read as ~105k.

Going to make a call to a service center tomorrow and get more info.

Doesn’t really bother me either way, but good question!

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
… I actually didn’t think about that… looking into it, it looks like yes… about 5% so 100k miles will read as ~105k.

Going to make a call to a service center tomorrow and get more info.

Doesn’t really bother me either way, but good question!
And thus will also affect your efficiency calculations. Seems like you are actually getting better miles/kWH than you think...

Bigger tires have a higher rolling resistance than smaller tires which means they require more resistance and effort to get them rolling. However, if you do a lot of freeway driving at high speeds, larger tires can help increase your vehicle's efficiency.

So, days I drive a lot in the city with lots of stop and go, I get about 7% less range. but when I do a lot of freeway driving, I get about 7% better range.
Interesting. That makes sense, and my experience seems to corroborate that. I replaced my 255/40-20 Goodyears with 255/45-20 Conti DWS 06+. When I drive around the city, my efficiency seems slightly worse than OEM, but when I went on a 1600 mile roadtrip, I swore some legs I had better efficiency than expected... Overall on the roadtrip I didn't even notice any change in efficiency over stock, as I went to the same charging stops, and had similar states of charge.

There is no foam in the tires, but they are STILL quieter than the OEM with the foam. that stuffs a gimmick.
YEah, my wife thought my DWS were way quieter than the LR's stock Goodyears as well...

Things To Be Aware Of

Speedometer: It is not going to be accurate. Due to the larger diameter, it is off. I called Tesla, and talked to 2 different service centers, and there is nothing they can do about it. This seems like something Tesla overlooked. The only thing you can change is your rim size in your cars settings, but not the diameter...

So, when my car says im going 70MPH, im actually going 74MPH.
says 25, im going 26.5
says 40, im going 43
says 65, im going 68.5
says 85 (for AP max) im going 90.
This one is interesting. Yours is probably more off becuase you upsized both the width and the aspect ratio... I only upsized the aspect ratio... When I checked my speedometer against radar and GPS, I actually found my upsized tires to be more accurate than the OEM setup, lol...

With my 255/40-20 Goodyears, when my speedo said 80, I was actually only going 77. With my 255/45-20 DWS, when my speedo said 79 I was actually going 80. Granted, when I checked the goodyears, this was when the tires were closer to the wear bars, wheras the DWS was when they were brand new...

Reactions: Daekwan
Thanks OP! I just replaced my pirellis (rears down to 2mm) with is exact setup. I've literally only driven home from the tire shop but both the ride and look are much improved.

I only wish I'd never run those stupid pirellis - took them off the day after delivery anyway since it was December in Colorado. Could have sold them off instead of watching the magical tread disappearance in a few k miles.

I almost only replaced the rears since the fronts still had plenty of tread, but very happy I didn't.

Saj070, I have a MYP as well and am wondering where you ordered your tires from: Local? Shipped? Also, were you able to get any deals on them?

I possibly will also do this when my tires after ready to replace.

I have the Michaelin All Season and am not an aggressive driver. I'm hoping to get around 25-30K on them. What is the mileage and condition of your tires?

Thanks.
-stew