Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance 21" Tires - Larger, More Comfortable Fitment Details and Experience - Michelin AS4's (With Photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to a 275 40 R19 square setup on my MPY. Surely Uberturbines with thicker tyres look better but I cannot have my speedo being off so much, anything more than 2 % is not legal in Europe. Less would not be a problem. I absolutely love the wheel on the steering wheel, with 21s and eveny bigger and heavier tire the the steering wheel feel must be extremely heavy aka non-communicative. And yes, with 275/40 R21 acceleration is also noticabely improved, it is brutal like M3P at low speeds! :)

Reactions: towndrunk
Saj070, I have a MYP as well and am wondering where you ordered your tires from: Local? Shipped? Also, were you able to get any deals on them?

I possibly will also do this when my tires after ready to replace.

I have the Michaelin All Season and am not an aggressive driver. I'm hoping to get around 25-30K on them. What is the mileage and condition of your tires?

Thanks.
-stew
I am buying them from tire rack have them ship to discount tire local it going to be $1900

I just bought a used 2021 26k MYP picking it up Saturday notice it had perrillo summer tires in Chicago winter usually around 30 f I know we've get snow 4 or 5 times and they are good cleaning I don't want to take a chance

Going with this set up based on op report snow driving rain driving

Saj070, I have a MYP as well and am wondering where you ordered your tires from: Local? Shipped? Also, were you able to get any deals on them?

I possibly will also do this when my tires after ready to replace.

I have the Michaelin All Season and am not an aggressive driver. I'm hoping to get around 25-30K on them. What is the mileage and condition of your tires?

Thanks.
-stew
Zero deals on then, and hard to get the rear tires. Got front at Costco, rear on eBay. National backorder on OEM sizes.

Interesting thread. MYLR, 19" OEM Geminis, replaced with same size, 255/45 x 19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4, and the Gemini rim is significantly more exposed than the OEM ContiProContact. NOW I wish I had replaced with 255/50 x 19 tires.
Big improvement over the ContiProContact, in every way, except efficiency. Lifetime (30k miles) was 287 Wh/mi, now after about 4 k miles, right at 310Wh/mi.

Attachments

• 1665502262385.png
    1665502262385.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 812
Reactions: Daekwan
Quick update Discount tires price match eBay promotion

$150 off $750 so I bought two 265/40|21
$150 off $816 so I bought two 295/40/21

Tires after taxes $1554
Installation $92

Final price $1649 with disposable fees

Installation schedule on Monday Oct 24th

Will post some pictures after installation

These tires going on 2021 MYP

I recently had to replace my 2022 MYP OEM Michelin All Season 4's and after a lot of research, and tire hunting, wanted to share my experience and the direction I went. Valuable information for those close to ordering new tires. I just drive 2000 miles through Santa Cruz, San Jose, Sacramento, and did a weekend in Tahoe, driving on many dirt roads and rough roads.

First off, I will never go with another set of tires after having these. I made it to 37,000 miles with 3/32 left on all 4 tires. they wore evenly. Their performance in heavy rain and even 6" of snow was unbelievable. Ive had multiple cars with Pirellis, and always stuck with them, but was not happy with the miles I got out of them, and the thought of getting 27,000 miles on them with an EV just sounds terrible considering the price.

The Tires

I went up in size with width, and sidewall.

Stock/OEM for the MYP is:
Front: 255/35/21
View attachment 853290
Rear: 275/35/21
View attachment 853291

The tires I chose are:
Front: 265/40/21
View attachment 853292
Rear: 295/40/21
View attachment 853293
Fitment

Front wheels fully turned, there's still >1" to the inner tire well. So no rubbing at all, even with quick turns into parking lots (Where you would probably get rubbing the most)
Rear wheels haven't rubbed on any large bumps. I even tried to get them to rub. nothing.

The main bonus functionality wise is that the tires extend farther out than the rims. not much, but they do.
View attachment 853301

Look

The difference is huge. Pictures don't do it justice. When I see other MYP's now, the OEM tires look stretched and the amount of room in the tire well looks like a mistake. maybe not on the MYLR, but for a performance, the larger sidewall REALLY looks great. It creates the illusion that your car is lowered, but its actually ~1.5" higher clearance

It truly looks performance even though It can handle bumpy roads and "All Season" conditions even better.

Before:
View attachment 853299

After:
View attachment 853302
Efficiency

This part was really interesting.

Bigger tires have a higher rolling resistance than smaller tires which means they require more resistance and effort to get them rolling. However, if you do a lot of freeway driving at high speeds, larger tires can help increase your vehicle's efficiency.

So, days I drive a lot in the city with lots of stop and go, I get about 7% less range. but when I do a lot of freeway driving, I get about 7% better range.

I drive 150-350 miles a day, and have found zero difference in range because I do a wide range of road types. I really thought I'd lose range.

Feel

WOW, what a difference. Sure the suspension is still stiff, but I feel a LOT less of the small imperfections of the roads I drive on every day. even my girlfriend said she noticed it before I got to point it out. Speed bumps and things feel much better and not like im driving over a 2"x4". This is my favorite part of these tires functionality wise. Cant describe it.

There is no foam in the tires, but they are STILL quieter than the OEM with the foam. that stuffs a gimmick.

Things To Be Aware Of

Speedometer: It is not going to be accurate. Due to the larger diameter, it is off. I called Tesla, and talked to 2 different service centers, and there is nothing they can do about it. This seems like something Tesla overlooked. The only thing you can change is your rim size in your cars settings, but not the diameter...

So, when my car says im going 70MPH, im actually going 74MPH.
says 25, im going 26.5
says 40, im going 43
says 65, im going 68.5
says 85 (for AP max) im going 90.

This is something that as long as you keep in mind, it doesnt matter. I just changed my cruise control settings so it doesn't add 5MPH anymore. I chose 7% increase and it's fine.

I dont know if it's the new beta version, or that the car thinks its going slower than it is, but ive noticed that on AP/FSDbeta, it is taking turns a little wider and sometimes touches the lines on the outer edge of the turn if im going above 50mph. I'm pretty sure it's the speed issue.

This really needs to be able to be corrected by the user in the settings. sometimes switching brands can add .5in of diameter even if the tire is the same "size".

Conclusion:

Go Bigger! the OEM tires are actually stretched on your Uberturbines. they are meant for wider tires but Tesla went smaller for efficiency reasons, which in the end, didn't matter. Finding the OEM sizes of these wonderful tires is basically impossible. They are on a national backorder right now which is why I went for a different size in the first place. These tires arent cheap, but they ARE worth every penny.

American tire warned me that they weren't OEM sizes, and I told them I know for a fact they will fit and they had no problem installing them.

Here's some more pictures just for fun. These are some CHONKY tires. Thicc with 2 "C"s. tiny American tire man for reference.
View attachment 853304View attachment 853305

Maybe this update can correct the speed offset: 2022.40.1 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates

Here the latest pictures came back with new tires
265/40.21
295/40/21

AS4 Mitchell

No rubbing very smooth huge difference in bumpy ride so far great

Thank you op for the great review

Attachments

• D7D7BE2C-6B97-4D26-9AA6-AC5000B7D2A1.jpeg
    D7D7BE2C-6B97-4D26-9AA6-AC5000B7D2A1.jpeg
    682.9 KB · Views: 687
  • 9ED3410D-728B-4633-95DD-0E9E56EF9815.jpeg
    9ED3410D-728B-4633-95DD-0E9E56EF9815.jpeg